Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE Help/Tips to Y10s/11s (8A*s, 4As) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AryanGh)
    1) My favourite subject at GCSE? Oooh tough question, honestly I'd say either Physics or Chemistry, mostly because of my teacher than for the GCSE curriculum itself, as well as having a passion for it, probably Computing as well because I just enjoy programming.

2) Favourite A Level? Well it's too early to make a definitive decision, but I'd definitely say Chemistry, don't get me wrong, the step up from GCSE to A Level, is HUGE, because they're essentially corrected all the lies they taught at GCSE, but it's very very interesting, I'm glad I took it.

3) Aspirations, honestly, I have no clue: Ideally Chemical Engineering, or some form of Engineering, or maybe straight Chemistry/Computer Science, at a top uni like Cambridge or RG like Bristol.

4) Y10? Honestly, I'm not gonna high road this one, I did s***. I got a 9 in Maths, A* in Computing, Geography, Chem and Physics but besides that, I got 6 in both Englishs, a C in RE, a C in Biology, and a low C in French, I only really decided to tryhard in Y11

5) If we're talking free time in A Levels? Virtually 0. Free time in GCSES? If I wasn't gaming, or programming, I would be playing Table Tennis, I was, (and still am) captain of the school team of Table Tennis, and was frequently at competitions and tournaments, especially during the later half of Y10 and beginning of Y11, so basically I missed a lot of the first month of Y11 :rofl:
    Thanks for replying!
    Im absolutely LOVING physics and chemistry! I've got really high grades in both exams which im pleased with! Im also loving maths and attained 81% in my previous test which im quite disappointed with since the marks i lost were all silly mistakes! Still very thankful for the mark though! I aspire to study Medicine at Cambridge Xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm REALLY struggling at physics, I'm not naturally great at it and find it a bit dull so am falling behind. The more I stress the harder it becomes and I just can't seem to get any better at it?!
    Any tips for improving at physics?
    Lol plz help me :')))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moppet)
    I'm finding it ok but there's a lot more homework than at GCSE My subjects are Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Geography. How are you finding your a-levels?
    the work load is insane, im perpetually in a state of revision, did you do fm in parallel? We're doing Maths AS first and then Further Maths AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleanoric)
    Hi,
    I'm REALLY struggling at physics, I'm not naturally great at it and find it a bit dull so am falling behind. The more I stress the harder it becomes and I just can't seem to get any better at it?!
    Any tips for improving at physics?
    Lol plz help me :'))
    if this is new spec than i kinda sympathise with you, not getting the equations and all.

Honestly with Physics my main strategy was again dumbing down my notes until I could make sense of them from 1 trigger word, i.e saying the word 'terminal velocity' I would be able to explain the tough bits because I digested them down enough to make sense of it. Once you get the basics, the complex is open to you. Most of my Physics exam was just plugging in variables into various equations and then just noting down whatever answer I got, idk why but it worked kek.

ReputationRep:
    I got an A* in biology, and I think that was simply because in the old spec it was way more content-applied ratio than in the other sciences, so most of the GCSE exam was just recalling what you know.

Trust me, there's a reason why I didn't do this for A Level, in Y10/11, I SUCKED at Biology, i.e, I was the most inconsistent little **** ever when it came to the mock tests, I'd go from A* to C real quick, mostly the latter. How I managed to turn around was just, extremely dumbing down my notes, i.e I'd take notes from my textbook/exercise notes, then find ways to make that even dumber, and even dumber, to the point where it's just a couple of words on a flashcard, the result of this is that by recalling just words, words that crop up in exam questions, you'll come to remember the more complex stuff that it represents.

English Literature, that's a whole different ballgame, I did An Inspector Calls, Macbeth, Jekyll and Hyde, and the Poetry Anthology on AQA. For Macbeth, the one thing I made sure to revise were the key themes (at least for me), ambition ambition ambition, supernatural supernatural supernatural, good and evil, kingship, religion/divine right, etc. The CGP textbooks I used for Macbeth were great, because they picked apart every bit of the text, and managed to connect it to each theme. Because I'm a bit of a history nerd, I excelled at the context side of things, I.e religion, kingship/divine right, witchcraft relating to evil, gender roles (lady macbeth/macbeth exerting dominance on macbeth, which was probably a weird concept back then), etc, also I spammed 'A Jacobean audience would....', for extra marks.

As opposed to structure? I'd simply recommend MrBruff, he is amazing for both Lit and Lang as he picks apart each question and gives tailored strategies for how you should present each answer to attain maximum marks, he was the difference for me that caused me to get a 9, that, and a natural ability to waffle in the exam. You clearly have the ability to analyse, so if it's just how you present the answer that worries you, he's your guy,

Anything else?
    Thanks dude I really appreciate it. I guess If you have any help with languages I'll be extremely grateful, because I have just given up on Spanish, I don't even care if I fail it anymore I'm just that bad. I guess if i have no motivation no revision techniques will help, but maybe ill get some in the future...with what little time I have till my GCSE's xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.N123)
    Thanks for replying!
    Im absolutely LOVING physics and chemistry! I've got really high grades in both exams which im pleased with! Im also loving maths and attained 81% in my previous test which im quite disappointed with since the marks i lost were all silly mistakes! Still very thankful for the mark though! I aspire to study Medicine at Cambridge Xxxx
    A very noble goal indeed! I'm sure you'll make it with this kind of positive mindset, mind you, you still have ages away to decide! So make sure to relish the last bits of freedom before the A Levels start :rofl:

All jokes aside, Chemistry at A Level is super fun and the experiments are so much better than the ones at GCSE. You do have to pass all of them to get a grade in the A Level though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    Thanks dude I really appreciate it. I guess If you have any help with languages I'll be extremely grateful, because I have just given up on Spanish, I don't even care if I fail it anymore I'm just that bad. I guess if i have no motivation no revision techniques will help, but maybe ill get some in the future...with what little time I have till my GCSE's xD
    Oh languages,

I still don't know how I managed to clutch the A in French, but I didn't revise until the week before for the actual exam, so.

Is it speaking, writing, reading/listening or all of the above you need help with?

ReputationRep:
    Oh languages,

I still don't know how I managed to clutch the A in French, but I didn't revise until the week before for the actual exam, so.

Is it speaking, writing, reading/listening or all of the above you need help with?
    LOOOOOOL oh dear i'm really bad at this subject. Mainly writing and reading/listening. You see I'm predicted 4 in Spanish which is barely a pass, however in all the mocks I have been getting 2's and 3's...I feel like I should just go over vocab and basic grammatical structures and phrases, and maybe the three main tenses in order to scrape a 4 but I don't feel like I should put any effort into that language at all. If you any websites that could help I'll also appreciate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    LOOOOOOL oh dear i'm really bad at this subject. Mainly writing and reading/listening. You see I'm predicted 4 in Spanish which is barely a pass, however in all the mocks I have been getting 2's and 3's...I feel like I should just go over vocab and basic grammatical structures and phrases, and maybe the three main tenses in order to scrape a 4 but I don't feel like I should put any effort into that language at all. If you any websites that could help I'll also appreciate.
    For reading/listening! Just past papers, I understand that it's new spec, but it never hurts to do old spec past papers to test your exam skills/technique. I literally just memorised some common vocabulary in the vocab book I was given, just the more practice the better for that one really, as well for reading, picking out certain words, verbs, etc that stick out to you in past papers and looking them up, in the exam, pick out key words that give meaning and you construct a rough meaning of a sentence which develops.

For writing,
    write out your sentence
    over
    and over
    and over
    and over
    and over
    and over
    and over
    and over
    and over
    and over
    and over
    and over
    and over
    and over
    and over
    and over
    and over

Until you remember every bit until you have trigger words.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.