The Student Room Group

Need GCSE advice? I can help! (12 A*s/9s)

I'm aware that there are loads of these threads floating around at the moment, but I have some free time right now and I wanted to at least put it to some use!

In addition to English Lit & Lang and Maths I took triple science, Further Maths, History, French, RS, Citizenship and PE.

If you've got any questions about exams/revision/school life in general I'd be happy to help in any way I can!!

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
I'm REALLY struggling at physics, I'm not naturally great at it and find it a bit dull so am falling behind.
I am taking triple science - at my school it's compulsory, but am better at humanities. The more I stress about science in general the harder it becomes and I just can't seem to get any better at it?!
Any tips for improving at physics?
Lol plz help me :')))
Reply 2
Original post by eleanoric
Hi,
I'm REALLY struggling at physics, I'm not naturally great at it and find it a bit dull so am falling behind.
I am taking triple science - at my school it's compulsory, but am better at humanities. The more I stress about science in general the harder it becomes and I just can't seem to get any better at it?!
Any tips for improving at physics?
Lol plz help me :')))

Hi! I can try to give you hand. For me, I just treated it like the other sciences; I did every past paper to death and learnt the precise wording for any question that could possibly come up. I know with the new GCSEs you don't have many past papers, but you can make note of the wording they use in the spec and the mark schemes for the specimen papers. However, you really need understand the subject initially to apply the exam technique. The way you learn differs for everyone; I used the CGP Revision guide as my bible, and used it to make mind maps and flashcards (Quizlet is an excellent app for this). I also used the spec as for GCSE science they are quite detailed, and used this to ensure that I covered everything and understood how the exam board wanted you to present your answers. If this won't work for you, you could try asking your teacher to go over things again, or perhaps find some YouTube videos to help you with the concepts. I'm not quite sure how much your GCSE differs, but you could always do some old spec past papers to test your understanding further (for my revision I did past papers back to like 2006 haha).

Hope this helps - good luck with your GCSEs and if you need any more advice please ask!!
Original post by LEuphoria
Hi! I can try to give you hand. For me, I just treated it like the other sciences; I did every past paper to death and learnt the precise wording for any question that could possibly come up. I know with the new GCSEs you don't have many past papers, but you can make note of the wording they use in the spec and the mark schemes for the specimen papers. However, you really need understand the subject initially to apply the exam technique. The way you learn differs for everyone; I used the CGP Revision guide as my bible, and used it to make mind maps and flashcards (Quizlet is an excellent app for this). I also used the spec as for GCSE science they are quite detailed, and used this to ensure that I covered everything and understood how the exam board wanted you to present your answers. If this won't work for you, you could try asking your teacher to go over things again, or perhaps find some YouTube videos to help you with the concepts. I'm not quite sure how much your GCSE differs, but you could always do some old spec past papers to test your understanding further (for my revision I did past papers back to like 2006 haha).

Hope this helps - good luck with your GCSEs and if you need any more advice please ask!!

Are you currently doing Alevels? If so what are you taking?
Reply 4
Original post by joyoustele
Are you currently doing Alevels?

I am, yes - Maths, Further Maths, History and Physics
I am, yes - Maths, Further Maths, History and Physics

How is physics going? how are you revising/learning physics because i need help on that.
im assuming you are in yr 12.
I'm aware that there are loads of these threads floating around at the moment, but I have some free time right now and I wanted to at least put it to some use!

In addition to English Lit & Lang and Maths I took triple science, Further Maths, History, French, RS, Citizenship and PE.

If you've got any questions about exams/revision/school life in general I'd be happy to help in any way I can!!

How did you revise for your Math GCSE?
Im struggling to cover all topics for my mocks and I fee like I don't fully grasp the topic when I'm done with it.
Reply 7
How is physics going? how are you revising/learning physics because i need help on that.

Physics is the one that changes from day to day in my opinion haha. I'm currently doing particle physics with one teacher and mechanics with the other. Mechanics is great and I really enjoy it, but I find the particle physics difficult to stay on top of. I don't think the concepts are too bad, but it requires a lot of learning facts atm. I'm trying to keep up by doing flashcards after most lessons and mind maps at the end of chapters. Are you doing A Level or GCSE? I can probably help more with GCSE haha.

I do not know the best and effective way to revise specifically for physics .Any help plzz.?
Physics is the one that changes from day to day in my opinion haha. I'm currently doing particle physics with one teacher and mechanics with the other. Mechanics is great and I really enjoy it, but I find the particle physics difficult to stay on top of. I don't think the concepts are too bad, but it requires a lot of learning facts atm. I'm trying to keep up by doing flashcards after most lessons and mind maps at the end of chapters. Are you doing A Level or GCSE? I can probably help more with GCSE haha.

Im doing alevels, chances are you will probably end up with an A* in physics, best if i do what you do and maybe i could end up with a B or an A. XD
Tips for english language as I'm on a relatively unknown exam board (eduqas) and can't find a definitive way to revise unlike other subjects. Thanks n good luck for a levels.
Reply 11
Original post by Oneiropólos
How did you revise for your Math GCSE?
Im struggling to cover all topics for my mocks and I fee like I don't fully grasp the topic when I'm done with it.

To me, it sounds you perhaps need to slow down a bit! You have plenty of time before your real GCSE so don't worry about the mock grades too much; what's more important is by that the time the real exams come around you have a solid understanding of every topic, so don't rush to revise everything in a panicked way just for the sake of a mock. Take all the time you need with each topic to fully understand it - maths is all about understanding. Watch some videos on YouTube to help with your understanding, read the textbook and ask you teacher if you can to help you get to grips with everything. However, the most important method to use in improving your maths is practice! I can't stress this enough! Do as many past papers as possible ( if you're working on one topic individually then there are websites like Corbett Maths to give you focused topic worksheets. Do every single one you can find until you can never get a question wrong.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your GCSEs!! If there's anything else please ask!
Reply 12
Original post by donut_mckenzie28
I do not know the best and effective way to revise specifically for physics .Any help plzz.?

I think I just answered this question a bit further up the thread! Have a look and if you have any other questions please ask!

Thanx for ya help!!
Hey, how do you revise for A level history may I ask? I’m struggling a lot as there is so much content and I can’t wrap my head around it quickly enough!
Reply 15
Original post by Yanray2012
Tips for english language as I'm on a relatively unknown exam board (eduqas) and can't find a definitive way to revise unlike other subjects. Thanks n good luck for a levels.

I mean I don't know exactly what your spec is, but if it's anything like AQA then I can give you a few tips.

For the reading part, you need to analyse with the same sort of depth as you would for English Lit. Analyse the mark schemes you have and see what points the examiners like an answer to cover, and then make up a paragraph structure that covers each of these points so that you can get hit the objectives in each paragraph. It can also help if you have a response that makes sense as an overall argument, with each paragraph linking together to argue a greater point if that makes sense?

For the writing, the best practice is to read as much as possible. It will develop your vocabulary and give you some examples of language features to use. It can also help to have a list of language features and punctuation to tick off in your head as you write, to make sure you get every possible metaphor, simile, semicolon etc. in there. Read a variety of different genres of literature, so you know how to write to your purpose if you have to write a newspaper article/letter/speech etc.

Hope this helps! Best of luck with your GCSEs!
Reply 16
Im doing alevels, chances are you will probably end up with an A* in physics, best if i do what you do and maybe i could end up with a B or an A. XD

Haha, I'm honoured, but I wouldn't be sure. Best to ask someone who already has the grades !!
Reply 17
Original post by taliakx
Hey, how do you revise for A level history may I ask? I’m struggling a lot as there is so much content and I can’t wrap my head around it quickly enough!

It would probably be best to ask someone who has some proven qualification in A Level History! I would say that you could try flashcards and mindmaps when writing up your notes, but if that doesn't help on its own then perhaps read ahead before each lesson? If you do that then the info has two opportunities at least to sink in? I'm struggling with all the content in history myself tbh. Best of luck with your A Levels though!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Haha, I'm honoured, but I wouldn't be sure. Best to ask someone who already has the grades !!

True,That. But i will still use some of your advice
Reply 19
True,That. But i will still use some of your advice

Haha, well I hope you get on okay with it!

Quick Reply

Latest