The Student Room Group

The front windscreen wipers suddenly stopped working, why ?

Hello
Car is a Vectra 1.9 CDTI 57 plate.

Tonight while driving home in the rain the 2 front windscreen wipers stopped working, they stopped in the middle of the screen obstructing my view so I had to stop the car and pull them down to the lower screen.

The front wipers are not working at all, when I activate the wipers I hear a noise as though them motor is working but the wipers are not moving.

What could it be ?

I'm thinking wiper motor or fuse but I'm guessing the wiper motor as itf it was a fuse I guess it would not make any noise from the motor

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Check both your fuse box and then from there, also the motor. Importantly-make sure there is nothing on your windshield that caused the free movement or obstructed movement.(as an additional suggestion, try to use Rain X in combination with your wipers, too). Hopefully, this is not something serious in the way of costing you any significant funds.

Original post by Cleverboy1991
Hello
Car is a Vectra 1.9 CDTI 57 plate.

Tonight while driving home in the rain the 2 front windscreen wipers stopped working, they stopped in the middle of the screen obstructing my view so I had to stop the car and pull them down to the lower screen.

The front wipers are not working at all, when I activate the wipers I hear a noise as though them motor is working but the wipers are not moving.

What could it be ?

I'm thinking wiper motor or fuse but I'm guessing the wiper motor as itf it was a fuse I guess it would not make any noise from the motor
Original post by luq_ali
Check both your fuse box and then from there, also the motor. Importantly-make sure there is nothing on your windshield that caused the free movement or obstructed movement.(as an additional suggestion, try to use Rain X in combination with your wipers, too). Hopefully, this is not something serious in the way of costing you any significant funds.

Hi

I have a repair manual but can't find out anything about the fuses or relays. There is nothing restricting anything on the windshield.

When you say you hope it's not anything that will cost significantly, well the worst case scenario would be the wiper motor , right ? If so that should not cost much tonsort
Reply 3
I hope not, but it could be an electrical problem beyond the wiper motor...the wiper motor could not be receiving the proper current to properly function-pointing to a greater problem. If possible, I would definitely not try to self-diagnose it if the basics don't work, and if you are unable to locate the fusebox, then I would definitely go by a repair shop and ask them to check that for you-that cost would be very small, and even if it means getting an estimate and the costs are somehow larger-in the interim, again, some Rain-X can go a long way while you are getting the funds together (if significant costs are involved over and beyond what you can currently afford)

Hi

I have a repair manual but can't find out anything about the fuses or relays. There is nothing restricting anything on the windshield.

When you say you hope it's not anything that will cost significantly, well the worst case scenario would be the wiper motor , right ? If so that should not cost much tonsort
Original post by luq_ali
I hope not, but it could be an electrical problem beyond the wiper motor...the wiper motor could not be receiving the proper current to properly function-pointing to a greater problem. If possible, I would definitely not try to self-diagnose it if the basics don't work, and if you are unable to locate the fusebox, then I would definitely go by a repair shop and ask them to check that for you-that cost would be very small, and even if it means getting an estimate and the costs are somehow larger-in the interim, again, some Rain-X can go a long way while you are getting the funds together (if significant costs are involved over and beyond what you can currently afford)

I have the funds whatever it might cost but I've had enough of mechanics to last a lifetime after being ripped off so will try to fix this myself
Reply 5
Hi

Not a very good manual if it doesn't tell you anything about the fuses...
Original post by IWMTom
Not a very good manual if it doesn't tell you anything about the fuses...

Maybe it does but I can't find it, what section should I be under, oh and how would I check fuse relay?
Reply 7
Maybe it does but I can't find it, what section should I be under, oh and how would I check fuse relay?

Don't you have your owners manual?
Original post by IWMTom
Don't you have your owners manual?

It's too late in the night to be playing games, I told you I have the manual but could not find the info for the fuses and relays, I asked you to help in which section it should be under to narrow it down
Reply 9
It's too late in the night to be playing games, I told you I have the manual but could not find the info for the fuses and relays, I asked you to help in which section it should be under to narrow it down

No.. you said you had a repair manual, I asked whether you have the OWNERS manual.
Original post by IWMTom
No.. you said you had a repair manual, I asked whether you have the OWNERS manual.

Oh yes sorry, yes I do
Reply 11
Oh yes sorry, yes I do

There should be an index in the back - find "fuses" and go to that page - it should have a diagrammatic representation of your fuse boxes.
Original post by IWMTom
There should be an index in the back - find "fuses" and go to that page - it should have a diagrammatic representation of your fuse boxes.

I'll have a look thanks but I'm not sure if the owners manual I have is for my specific e fine and car or if it is for all engine variants of my car?

And may I ask, why at you always up late at night and not in bed asleep? Lol
Reply 13
I'll have a look thanks but I'm not sure if the owners manual I have is for my specific e fine and car or if it is for all engine variants of my car?

And may I ask, why at you always up late at night and not in bed asleep? Lol

Look at page 251 of your owners manual - it looks like fuse #11 (30amp) is the wiper fuse, within your engine compartment fusebox.
Original post by IWMTom
Look at page 251 of your owners manual - it looks like fuse #11 (30amp) is the wiper fuse, within your engine compartment fusebox.

Brilliant !
Yes found that, your right it is fuse 11, now how would I go about testing it?

Thanks, 😊
Reply 15
Brilliant !
Yes found that, now how would I go about testing it?

Thanks, 😊

You should be able to see the wire inside - is it broken?
Original post by IWMTom
You should be able to see the wire inside - is it broken?

Wire? Are you referring to fuse or relay?
Reply 17
Wire? Are you referring to fuse or relay?

The fuse..
Original post by IWMTom
The fuse..

I know how to inspect fuses, but is there a relay for the wipers also?

also is this in the box under the hood as I know some cars have several fuse boxes?
Original post by IWMTom
The fuse..

hi Tom

Is there 2 fuses, one for each wiper?

Yes fuse 11 is for wiper, but it also have 22 listed as wiper so that must be a fuse for the other wiper, right?

Quick Reply

Latest