Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The front windscreen wipers suddenly stopped working, why ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    Car is a Vectra 1.9 CDTI 57 plate.

Tonight while driving home in the rain the 2 front windscreen wipers stopped working, they stopped in the middle of the screen obstructing my view so I had to stop the car and pull them down to the lower screen.

The front wipers are not working at all, when I activate the wipers I hear a noise as though them motor is working but the wipers are not moving.

What could it be ?

I'm thinking wiper motor or fuse but I'm guessing the wiper motor as itf it was a fuse I guess it would not make any noise from the motor

ReputationRep:
    Check both your fuse box and then from there, also the motor. Importantly-make sure there is nothing on your windshield that caused the free movement or obstructed movement.(as an additional suggestion, try to use Rain X in combination with your wipers, too). Hopefully, this is not something serious in the way of costing you any significant funds.

(Original post by Cleverboy1991)
    Hello
    Car is a Vectra 1.9 CDTI 57 plate.

Tonight while driving home in the rain the 2 front windscreen wipers stopped working, they stopped in the middle of the screen obstructing my view so I had to stop the car and pull them down to the lower screen.

The front wipers are not working at all, when I activate the wipers I hear a noise as though them motor is working but the wipers are not moving.

What could it be ?

I'm thinking wiper motor or fuse but I'm guessing the wiper motor as itf it was a fuse I guess it would not make any noise from the motor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luq_ali)
    Check both your fuse box and then from there, also the motor. Importantly-make sure there is nothing on your windshield that caused the free movement or obstructed movement.(as an additional suggestion, try to use Rain X in combination with your wipers, too). Hopefully, this is not something serious in the way of costing you any significant funds.
    Hi

I have a repair manual but can't find out anything about the fuses or relays. There is nothing restricting anything on the windshield.

When you say you hope it's not anything that will cost significantly, well the worst case scenario would be the wiper motor , right ? If so that should not cost much tonsort

ReputationRep:
    I hope not, but it could be an electrical problem beyond the wiper motor...the wiper motor could not be receiving the proper current to properly function-pointing to a greater problem. If possible, I would definitely not try to self-diagnose it if the basics don't work, and if you are unable to locate the fusebox, then I would definitely go by a repair shop and ask them to check that for you-that cost would be very small, and even if it means getting an estimate and the costs are somehow larger-in the interim, again, some Rain-X can go a long way while you are getting the funds together (if significant costs are involved over and beyond what you can currently afford)

Hi

I have a repair manual but can't find out anything about the fuses or relays. There is nothing restricting anything on the windshield.

When you say you hope it's not anything that will cost significantly, well the worst case scenario would be the wiper motor , right ? If so that should not cost much tonsort

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luq_ali)
    I hope not, but it could be an electrical problem beyond the wiper motor...the wiper motor could not be receiving the proper current to properly function-pointing to a greater problem. If possible, I would definitely not try to self-diagnose it if the basics don't work, and if you are unable to locate the fusebox, then I would definitely go by a repair shop and ask them to check that for you-that cost would be very small, and even if it means getting an estimate and the costs are somehow larger-in the interim, again, some Rain-X can go a long way while you are getting the funds together (if significant costs are involved over and beyond what you can currently afford)
    I have the funds whatever it might cost but I've had enough of mechanics to last a lifetime after being ripped off so will try to fix this myself
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Not a very good manual if it doesn't tell you anything about the fuses...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Not a very good manual if it doesn't tell you anything about the fuses...
    Maybe it does but I can't find it, what section should I be under, oh and how would I check fuse relay?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it does but I can't find it, what section should I be under, oh and how would I check fuse relay?
    Don't you have your owners manual?

ReputationRep:
    Don't you have your owners manual?
    It's too late in the night to be playing games, I told you I have the manual but could not find the info for the fuses and relays, I asked you to help in which section it should be under to narrow it down
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's too late in the night to be playing games, I told you I have the manual but could not find the info for the fuses and relays, I asked you to help in which section it should be under to narrow it down
    No.. you said you had a repair manual, I asked whether you have the OWNERS manual.

ReputationRep:
    No.. you said you had a repair manual, I asked whether you have the OWNERS manual.
    Oh yes sorry, yes I do
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes sorry, yes I do
    There should be an index in the back - find "fuses" and go to that page - it should have a diagrammatic representation of your fuse boxes.

ReputationRep:
    There should be an index in the back - find "fuses" and go to that page - it should have a diagrammatic representation of your fuse boxes.
    I'll have a look thanks but I'm not sure if the owners manual I have is for my specific e fine and car or if it is for all engine variants of my car?

And may I ask, why at you always up late at night and not in bed asleep? Lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'll have a look thanks but I'm not sure if the owners manual I have is for my specific e fine and car or if it is for all engine variants of my car?

And may I ask, why at you always up late at night and not in bed asleep? Lol
    Look at page 251 of your owners manual - it looks like fuse #11 (30amp) is the wiper fuse, within your engine compartment fusebox.

ReputationRep:
    Look at page 251 of your owners manual - it looks like fuse #11 (30amp) is the wiper fuse, within your engine compartment fusebox.
    Brilliant !
    Yes found that, your right it is fuse 11, now how would I go about testing it?

Thanks, 😊
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant !
    Yes found that, now how would I go about testing it?

Thanks, 😊
    You should be able to see the wire inside - is it broken?

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to see the wire inside - is it broken?
    Wire? Are you referring to fuse or relay?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Wire? Are you referring to fuse or relay?
    The fuse..

ReputationRep:
    The fuse..
    I know how to inspect fuses, but is there a relay for the wipers also?

also is this in the box under the hood as I know some cars have several fuse boxes?

ReputationRep:
    The fuse..

hi Tom

Is there 2 fuses, one for each wiper?

Yes fuse 11 is for wiper, but it also have 22 listed as wiper so that must be a fuse for the other wiper, right?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.