The front windscreen wipers suddenly stopped working, why ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I doubt both fuses have gone right in the same second
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cleverboy1991)
    hi Tom

Is there 2 fuses, one for each wiper?

Yes fuse 11 is for wiper, but it also have 22 listed as wiper so that must be a fuse for the other wiper, right?
    Looks that way, yep!

I know how to inspect fuses, but is there a relay for the wipers also?

also is this in the box under the hood as I know some cars have several fuse boxes?
    I'd imagine so - your repair manual should tell you where it is.

I believe I mentioned earlier, that the fuse is in the engine compartment fusebox.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Looks that way, yep!

I'd imagine so - your repair manual should tell you where it is.

I believe I mentioned earlier, that the fuse is in the engine compartment fusebox.
    Okie dokie

Would the owners manual show the relay location or the repair manual?
    Then, how does one test the relay??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Okie dokie

Would the owners manual show the relay location or the repair manual?
    Then, how does one test the relay??
    Probably one for the repair manual, as it'll have the wiring diagrams.

https://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Relay

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the wiper linkage to me. If you can still hear the motor moving but the wipers are not, then it's not an electrical issue. With some basic Googling (you should try that sometime, actually) it looks like a very common failure on these Vectras for the linkage to pop off the motor arm due to wear. Super easy job to replace yourself:

Looks like you can buy an uprated repair kit to both fix your wipers and stop the issue from happening again. If you get a wiper setup out of a junk yard car/off of eBay then you'll probably have the same problem happen again. For £32 you can pick up the uprated linkages, and they even provide a how-to video on their website for fitting:

https://x8r.co.uk/vauxhall-vectra-c-...repair-fix-kit

I know nothing about Vauxhalls and have never owned one (never will, but that's a personal opinion), and it took me literally 5 minutes doing a bit of searching (I typed "2007 Vectra wiper linkage") to find out that this was a common problem on those vehicles, and to find a fix for it. Try doing some own research for yourself next time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Sounds like the wiper linkage to me. If you can still hear the motor moving but the wipers are not, then it's not an electrical issue. With some basic Googling (you should try that sometime, actually) it looks like a very common failure on these Vectras for the linkage to pop off the motor arm due to wear. Super easy job to replace yourself:

Looks like you can buy an uprated repair kit to both fix your wipers and stop the issue from happening again. If you get a wiper setup out of a junk yard car/off of eBay then you'll probably have the same problem happen again. For £32 you can pick up the uprated linkages, and they even provide a how-to video on their website for fitting:

https://x8r.co.uk/vauxhall-vectra-c-...repair-fix-kit

I know nothing about Vauxhalls and have never owned one (never will, but that's a personal opinion), and it took me literally 5 minutes doing a bit of searching (I typed "2007 Vectra wiper linkage" to find out that this was a common problem on those vehicles, and to find a fix for it. Try doing some own research for yourself next time.
    Howdy !

I have been told the same thing by several other people on forums.

I can hear the wiper motor as when I go to activate the wipers I hear a tapping sound but nothing moves. when the wipers stopped working yesterday it was unexpected as I was experiencing no problems leading up to the failure. they were working one moment in the heavy rain, then they stopped dead in the middle of the screen. I had to stop the car and pull the wipers to the bottom of the screen out of my line of vision.

If the linkage has come off will I see it when I look under the scuttle thingy ?

Shall I remove the whole assembly anyway and just replace the wiper motor and assembly ?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Howdy !

I have been told the same thing by several other people on forums.

I can hear the wiper motor as when I go to activate the wipers I hear a tapping sound but nothing moves. when the wipers stopped working yesterday it was unexpected as I was experiencing no problems leading up to the failure. they were working one moment in the heavy rain, then they stopped dead in the middle of the screen. I had to stop the car and pull the wipers to the bottom of the screen out of my line of vision.

If the linkage has come off will I see it when I look under the scuttle thingy ?

Shall I remove the whole assembly anyway and just replace the wiper motor and assembly ?

thanks
    You'll be able to see the linkage swinging loose if you look under the scuttle.

Order the replacement links from that website and use those. If you replace the whole system with another stock component it'll probably cost more and unless you manage to get a brand new one then the same thing will happen again.

Those uprated links are cheap and easy to fit. Just buy those and fit them. Should be a half hour job at most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    You'll be able to see the linkage swinging loose if you look under the scuttle.

Order the replacement links from that website and use those. If you replace the whole system with another stock component it'll probably cost more and unless you manage to get a brand new one then the same thing will happen again.

Those uprated links are cheap and easy to fit. Just buy those and fit them. Should be a half hour job at most.
    Howdy partner !

Yes it transpired to be the linkage that came off, I've temporarily secured it with cable ties until the new parts arrive. Is it just the 2 metal bar things I need to get ?

Cheers

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.