Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking at universities to study mathematics at and noticed that Leeds had good standings both overall and in mathematics. However, I didn't get a chance to go to the any of the Open Days. Can people that either have studied/are studying there or been to an open day tell me the pros and cons of Leeds and whether it is worth applying to? Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    have you applied yet
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by JLowe)
    I've been looking at universities to study mathematics at and noticed that Leeds had good standings both overall and in mathematics. However, I didn't get a chance to go to the any of the Open Days. Can people that either have studied/are studying there or been to an open day tell me the pros and cons of Leeds and whether it is worth applying to? Thank you in advance.
    Lychee627

ReputationRep:
    Apply to Cambridge or Oxford they're the best at maths

ReputationRep:
    I went to an open day...
    The city is decent, like any other major city if that is what you're used to, a variety of shops and different roads (they have a taco bell and a sushi place <3)
    The accommodation I think I looked at Central Village and Henry Price? I'm not 100% sure, but yeh the rooms seem small compared to other universities I looked at but the kitchen area seemed nice. I didn't really like the location of either but then that's up to you?

Overall, Leeds Uni (that white library building bit) is within a 10 minute walking distance? from the city which is alright, hopefully it has more to offer than just the City which I'm sure it does, the people seemed friendly there and very helpful, my lecturer person that I met (not for maths) knew what she was going on about so that's a good sign.

Honestly, Leeds to me is just one long street so far :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLowe)
    The course is fine but Maths has a lot of lectures which you should expect , the accommodation Central Village is decent , its on campus and is close to all things and it has a city atmosphere Leeds does!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lychee627)
    The course is fine but Maths has a lot of lectures which you should expect , the accommodation Central Village is decent , its on campus and is close to all things and it has a city atmosphere Leeds does!
    Hi, i got an offer for maths at Leeds and was just wondering how the course is.

ReputationRep:
    I do Maths and Biology here and live in central village so if you have any questions let me know x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Segsation)
    I do Maths and Biology here and live in central village so if you have any questions let me know x
    How difficult are you finding the maths area of your degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdfsdd)
    How difficult are you finding the maths area of your degree?
    It is very hard, quite a big jump from A level! As long as you go to your tutorials (smaller group sessions with a lecturer/teacher where you can ask questions and get help with homework) and PAL sessions (Sessions with second year mentors where they basically tell you how to do the homework) it is doable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.