Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

got my art mock in the next few weeks and need some advice Watch

ReputationRep:
    i tend to use oil paints for my paintings in art. i thin them out with a bit of white spirit and add some liquin to make them dry a bit faster. i also tend to use a decent amount of impasto. not like squeeze the tube on the canvas impasto, but i use the technique to a certain degree. i ocassionally use spray paints too and i know these can get quite smelly.
    my art gcse mock is in the next 5 week or so. practically everyone else in my class uses water based paints and im the only one using oil based. am i just going to annoy everyone by stinking out the art room with solvents?
    also, is there any way of making the oil paints dry faster if i was to use them? when thinned and mixed with liquin they're generally touch dry within a few days. since my mock is split over the weekend (first day friday, second monday) would i get away with using oils from a drying time perspective? i've tried on multiple occsasions to use acrylics and i just really do not get on with them (dry wayyyy to fast and go gummy, when i mix the colours they might as well be in a cartoon)
    would it just be a safer bet to use water based paints and not melt everyone's brains with white spirit? or would it be okay to use solvents and just be banished to the window? i'm guessing that the spray paints are a bad move inside from an aerosol and fire alarm perspective so maybe give them a miss?

muchas gracias
    alicia

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    I used oil paints in my final GCSE art exam, I sat by the window and made sure that it was open at all times! I used linseed oil to thin the oil paint, although this doesn’t make it any quicker to dry... I found that I was still able to blend and work into the paint the next day though which is what I wanted to achieve - as for the paint drying completely I’m not sure how to speed this up... To wash my brushes out I found a low odour thinner. Hope this helps - good luck for the exam!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbath)
    I used oil paints in my final GCSE art exam, I sat by the window and made sure that it was open at all times! I used linseed oil to thin the oil paint, although this doesn’t make it any quicker to dry... I found that I was still able to blend and work into the paint the next day though which is what I wanted to achieve - as for the paint drying completely I’m not sure how to speed this up... To wash my brushes out I found a low odour thinner. Hope this helps - good luck for the exam!
    thanks
    i will get my hands on some linseed oil and some odourless thinner between now and the exam

you just saved my ass!

alicia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisseyjj)
    thanks
    i will get my hands on some linseed oil and some odourless thinner between now and the exam

you just saved my ass!

alicia
    The best place where I found the two was 'Art Discount' ( a website) but I'm sure you should be able to find some in any local art shop or Amazon - it might be a bit more expensive though! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbath)
    The best place where I found the two was 'Art Discount' ( a website) but I'm sure you should be able to find some in any local art shop or Amazon - it might be a bit more expensive though! Good luck
    thanks buddy x
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisseyjj)
    thanks buddy x
    That's ok!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.