Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it fair to pay rent to parents? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So my partner and I (she's 19 and I'm 21) live at home to save as much money as we can

I don't pay any rent, I just buy some groceries sometimes, avg £35 a month, but my partner pays £100 a month to her parents, ahe doesn't earn much unlike I do, so I said it's quite high as we're trying to save as much as we can to eventually move out, but her rent makes it that more difficult.

Anyways, do you guys think her rent is too much? And if you live at home, how much do you pay if st all?

ReputationRep:
    Thats cheap I was charged like £300

ReputationRep:
    £100 a month is pretty cheap, if she has a job, is over 18 and still living with parents then that is not that bad

ReputationRep:
    I don’t pay any rent (so grateful for my parents)
    But I guess £100 a month is not bad if you are working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTit)
    Thats cheap I was charged like £300
    (Original post by Avaia)
    £100 a month is pretty cheap, if she has a job, is over 18 and still living with parents then that is not that bad
    Sorry I left an important part out,

She only earns 1k a month, but also pays 300 towards travel for work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshale)
    Sorry I left an important part out,

She only earns 1k a month, but also pays 300 towards travel for work
    10% of her wage for rent is nothing xD that is so much cheaper than you would ever pay anywhere else. £600 spare a month to do whatever she wants...that is a lot of money and enough to start saving for your own place

ReputationRep:
    If you pay rent to your parents then im sorry but your parents dont love you.

Like cmon, they must think you're an animal to think "now you're 18, fend for yourself. Wanna live here? Pay rent."

What would be perfectly reasonable is for you to pay towards running costs or something if you're working. But rent? wtf
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If you have the means to help your parents you should, not even if they ask you, but because you want to.

It will also teach you some early monetary responsibilities. As long as it's a reasonable amount with respect to what you earn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsfantanoooo)

Like cmon, they must think you're an animal to think "now you're 18, fend for yourself. Wanna live here? Pay rent."

What would be perfectly reasonable is for you to pay towards running costs or something if you're working. But rent? wtf
    Well what a stupid thing to say.

I am at uni at the moment, but my parents have said when I am back from uni and have a degree, they are happy for me to live at home as long as I pay a little upkeep towards bills. By the time I am back home, the mortgage will be paid off so I will only need to contribute towards my portion of the food / bills which they say wont be much.

ReputationRep:
    Just under £25 a week seems reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommy1boy)

I am at uni at the moment, but my parents have said when I am back from uni and have a degree, they are happy for me to live at home as long as I pay a little upkeep towards bills. By the time I am back home, the mortgage will be paid off so I will only need to contribute towards my portion of the food / bills which they say wont be much.
    which isn't rent dumbass

ReputationRep:

No, it's not stupid.

I really dont care about your life story. That sounds like a reasonable arrangement. Not like they'll kick you out (I hope) and yes, as an adult you should be paying for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angrypoliceman)
    which isn't rent dumbass
    Charming

Rent - "a tenant's regular payment to a landlord for the use of property or land."

I think you will find paying your parents to live at home is the definition of rent.

ReputationRep:
    100 a month is alright uno, im paying 120 still

ReputationRep:
    Charming

Rent - "a tenant's regular payment to a landlord for the use of property or land."

I think you will find paying your parents to live at home is the definition of rent.
    ok buddy

ReputationRep:
    I don’t pay rent, but you should pay rent if your parents need money. You help them out.

You mentioned your family earn higher, that’s why they don’t ask for rent. (For me, it’s cultural reasons).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsfantanoooo)

I say rent as general, her parents mortgage is paid off, but they want£100 a month for her living there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishax)
    I don’t pay rent, but you should pay rent if your parents need money. You help them out.

You mentioned your family earn higher, that’s why they don’t ask for rent. (For me, it’s cultural reasons).
    No, I earn just over x2 of her wage, but her parents are way more financially better than my mother.

ReputationRep:
    I say rent as general, her parents mortgage is paid off, but they want£100 a month for her living there
    Yeah exactly. £100 is quite a bit.

If you're working, making money but at home then it's reasonable to pay for general upkeep (since you're an adult) but other than that... rent?!?!!???

ReputationRep:
    No, I earn just over x2 of her wage, but her parents are way more financially better than my mother.
    I would leave it if I were you, don’t create unnecessary problems.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.