The Student Room Group

Is it fair to pay rent to parents?

So my partner and I (she's 19 and I'm 21) live at home to save as much money as we can

I don't pay any rent, I just buy some groceries sometimes, avg £35 a month, but my partner pays £100 a month to her parents, ahe doesn't earn much unlike I do, so I said it's quite high as we're trying to save as much as we can to eventually move out, but her rent makes it that more difficult.

Anyways, do you guys think her rent is too much? And if you live at home, how much do you pay if st all?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thats cheap I was charged like £300
Reply 2
£100 a month is pretty cheap, if she has a job, is over 18 and still living with parents then that is not that bad
Reply 3
I don’t pay any rent (so grateful for my parents)
But I guess £100 a month is not bad if you are working.
Reply 4
Original post by INTit
Thats cheap I was charged like £300

Original post by Avaia
£100 a month is pretty cheap, if she has a job, is over 18 and still living with parents then that is not that bad

Sorry I left an important part out,

She only earns 1k a month, but also pays 300 towards travel for work
Reply 5
Original post by Joshale
Sorry I left an important part out,

She only earns 1k a month, but also pays 300 towards travel for work

10% of her wage for rent is nothing xD that is so much cheaper than you would ever pay anywhere else. £600 spare a month to do whatever she wants...that is a lot of money and enough to start saving for your own place
If you pay rent to your parents then im sorry but your parents dont love you.

Like cmon, they must think you're an animal to think "now you're 18, fend for yourself. Wanna live here? Pay rent."

What would be perfectly reasonable is for you to pay towards running costs or something if you're working. But rent? wtf
If you have the means to help your parents you should, not even if they ask you, but because you want to.

It will also teach you some early monetary responsibilities. As long as it's a reasonable amount with respect to what you earn.
Original post by itsfantanoooo

Like cmon, they must think you're an animal to think "now you're 18, fend for yourself. Wanna live here? Pay rent."

What would be perfectly reasonable is for you to pay towards running costs or something if you're working. But rent? wtf

Well what a stupid thing to say.

I am at uni at the moment, but my parents have said when I am back from uni and have a degree, they are happy for me to live at home as long as I pay a little upkeep towards bills. By the time I am back home, the mortgage will be paid off so I will only need to contribute towards my portion of the food / bills which they say wont be much.
Just under £25 a week seems reasonable.
Original post by Tommy1boy

I am at uni at the moment, but my parents have said when I am back from uni and have a degree, they are happy for me to live at home as long as I pay a little upkeep towards bills. By the time I am back home, the mortgage will be paid off so I will only need to contribute towards my portion of the food / bills which they say wont be much.

which isn't rent dumbass

No, it's not stupid.

I really dont care about your life story. That sounds like a reasonable arrangement. Not like they'll kick you out (I hope) and yes, as an adult you should be paying for yourself.
Original post by angrypoliceman
which isn't rent dumbass

Charming

Rent - "a tenant's regular payment to a landlord for the use of property or land."

I think you will find paying your parents to live at home is the definition of rent.
Reply 13
100 a month is alright uno, im paying 120 still
(edited 6 years ago)
Charming

Rent - "a tenant's regular payment to a landlord for the use of property or land."

I think you will find paying your parents to live at home is the definition of rent.

ok buddy
I don’t pay rent, but you should pay rent if your parents need money. You help them out.

You mentioned your family earn higher, that’s why they don’t ask for rent. (For me, it’s cultural reasons).
Reply 16
Original post by itsfantanoooo

I say rent as general, her parents mortgage is paid off, but they want£100 a month for her living there
Reply 17
Original post by Ishax
I don’t pay rent, but you should pay rent if your parents need money. You help them out.

You mentioned your family earn higher, that’s why they don’t ask for rent. (For me, it’s cultural reasons).

No, I earn just over x2 of her wage, but her parents are way more financially better than my mother.
Original post by Joshale
I say rent as general, her parents mortgage is paid off, but they want£100 a month for her living there

Yeah exactly. £100 is quite a bit.

If you're working, making money but at home then it's reasonable to pay for general upkeep (since you're an adult) but other than that... rent?!?!!???
Original post by Joshale
No, I earn just over x2 of her wage, but her parents are way more financially better than my mother.

I would leave it if I were you, don’t create unnecessary problems.

Quick Reply

Latest