Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it fair to pay rent to parents? Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    My family isn't one for "children" paying rent, but that's just us. It is something that a lot of families do and I can see why.

If it's somebody who has the means to pay and is living at home to save money or whatever then charging rent is fine and £100 is quite reasonabe. Outside of parents you could be looking at at least twice that for a room or studio in a cheap area and then have bills on top. Just living there doesn't necessarily give a need for rent since it's not like their parents are paying for the extra space- it's their existing house.
    It's also a reasonable price if you want to look at it as bills and no rent though. Water, electric, gas and internet could easily come to £100. And if your partner isn't buying their own food that could again add to that. Bills and food are something that they will actually be adding to by living there so that's a more reasonable example.

It's not for every family, but it is reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    It's a hell of a lot cheaper than renting elsewhere so be grateful.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    lol
    perks of being Asian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshale)
    I say rent as general, her parents mortgage is paid off, but they want£100 a month for her living there
    You realise there are more costs than just rent when you live somewhere? Your GF is using food, water, electric, gas, internet etc - why shouldn't she contribute towards those things? She's an adult and her parents shouldn't have to go without just cos she wants to keep her money for her own stuff. I guarantee she will be costing her parents more than £100 a month.

No, I earn just over x2 of her wage, but her parents are way more financially better than my mother.
    Then you should be less selfish and contribute towards your parents household too.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    So my partner and I (she's 19 and I'm 21) live at home to save as much money as we can

I don't pay any rent, I just buy some groceries sometimes, avg £35 a month, but my partner pays £100 a month to her parents, ahe doesn't earn much unlike I do, so I said it's quite high as we're trying to save as much as we can to eventually move out, but her rent makes it that more difficult.

Anyways, do you guys think her rent is too much? And if you live at home, how much do you pay if st all?
    It happens in some homes but the amount of money can vary between few tens of pounds to hundreds of pounds.

My friend paid "rent" (£500) to stay at home in London after uni, whilst doing a grad job. He hated his parents for doing that. He did not know that his dad was saving that in a bank account.

After about 3 years, he decided to move out and buy a property with his girlfriend. His dad then told him that he had about £18,000 in the account, which was a massive bonus.

His dad worked as an accountant, so had money intelligence. Now the dude has a mortgage on a house.

To me, it was a clever move. The dude would have wasted the money on going out and making horrible mistakes.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I left an important part out,

She only earns 1k a month, but also pays 300 towards travel for work
    I earn the same as her and pay about £550 rent and bills and still saving for a mortgage so I think £100 to her parents is quite a reasonable figure.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I left an important part out,

She only earns 1k a month, but also pays 300 towards travel for work
    "Only"??? £700 a month and pays £100 for rent, that leaves her with £600 to do whatever she likes with. She's an adult and actually in a very good situation right now, it would cost her a hell of a lot more to not live at home. Think you both should be grateful that her parents are allowing her to live at home still and not charge her any more.

ReputationRep:
    My brother pays £60 a month to my mum. She doesn't earn much so it's nice to help out. He doesn't earn much either as an apprentice. I'm studying at uni and so she doesn't want to take my money. However, when I get a job after graduating I will pay rent. After all, we all use the electricity, water etc. and if we all have jobs we should all contribute. There comes a point where you take care of each other, instead of parents always taking care of you.

ReputationRep:
    Not it's not fair. Or atleast it's not in Indian culture.

ReputationRep:
    People are obsessed with calling it rent
    It’s not
    It’s a contribution to water, gas, electricity, council tax, food, internet etc
    I assume she doesn’t pay for things like washing powder etc but she’ll still wash clothes
    And you can bet that costs more than £25 per week
    But that’s ok. Let her move out instead and see where £25 gets her
    A working adult should contribute
    The people who moan about it are usually those who bleat on about being free from parental influence at 18. Being an adult now and pleasing themselves, not having to follow rules etc. Pay your expenses like an adult then
    It costs £300 to get to work. So? That’ll apply wherever you live Unless you move next door.
    You seem to think that because you’re saving for something yourself that her parents should subsidise that. Why?
    If it bothers you so much then you pay it for her if you’re earning double

ReputationRep:
    If her parents could pay well over that for bringing her up as a kid, £100 per month shouldn’t be seen a burden. If she had to find a place for herself the rent would be well over that so I think this is justifiable

So my partner and I (she's 19 and I'm 21) live at home to save as much money as we can

I don't pay any rent, I just buy some groceries sometimes, avg £35 a month, but my partner pays £100 a month to her parents, ahe doesn't earn much unlike I do, so I said it's quite high as we're trying to save as much as we can to eventually move out, but her rent makes it that more difficult.

Anyways, do you guys think her rent is too much? And if you live at home, how much do you pay if st all?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.