Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

I was wondering if I could get some advice from current trainee solicitors / paralegals. Basically, I have just started working at a boutique firm in London. I have only been there a week and I already have my own caseload. I am struggling a bit to keep on top of everything. The partner that supervises me is very nice and she has told me to let her know if I feel like everything is getting too much. First day I had an induction, which didn’t really finish because I had a meeting with the partner. Second day, finished off my induction and was given my own caseload. This is the first time I have had a paralegal job or any job at a firm. The partner said how important it was for me to keep up with billing my time on to the system. The issue is I am finding it hard to constantly log in my time after everything, especially when it gets very busy and I am asked to do different things which were unexpected. Also around my third day she said from the following week I had to start meeting my targets and basically doing more chargeable work. I am finding it hard, because I am mostly doing non chargeable work since it’s only been my first few days and it takes me quite long to familiarise myself with the cases. Additionally, this is in an area of law that I have never done before so I’m also trying to gain the legal knowledge.

Did anyone else also find it hard to begin with as a paralegal/trainee? Any tips in relation to billing time or working on cases? Any tips on how I can become more efficient?

If anyone has any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    You are going to have to start leaning on other paralegals who work there who already have successfully come in and thrived, get pointers and tips from them, and they can also help you to better organize your workload and your day.

(Original post by lawstudent251)
    Hi guys.

I was wondering if I could get some advice from current trainee solicitors / paralegals. Basically, I have just started working at a boutique firm in London. I have only been there a week and I already have my own caseload. I am struggling a bit to keep on top of everything. The partner that supervises me is very nice and she has told me to let her know if I feel like everything is getting too much. First day I had an induction, which didn’t really finish because I had a meeting with the partner. Second day, finished off my induction and was given my own caseload. This is the first time I have had a paralegal job or any job at a firm. The partner said how important it was for me to keep up with billing my time on to the system. The issue is I am finding it hard to constantly log in my time after everything, especially when it gets very busy and I am asked to do different things which were unexpected. Also around my third day she said from the following week I had to start meeting my targets and basically doing more chargeable work. I am finding it hard, because I am mostly doing non chargeable work since it’s only been my first few days and it takes me quite long to familiarise myself with the cases. Additionally, this is in an area of law that I have never done before so I’m also trying to gain the legal knowledge.

Did anyone else also find it hard to begin with as a paralegal/trainee? Any tips in relation to billing time or working on cases? Any tips on how I can become more efficient?

If anyone has any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luq_ali)
    You are going to have to start leaning on other paralegals who work there who already have successfully come in and thrived, get pointers and tips from them, and they can also help you to better organize your workload and your day.
    The thing is I’m the only paralegal at the firm because it’s quite a small firm 10-15 people.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, okay-so that means you are getting the work of many lawyers thrown at you. If there is a secretary or more than one, be sure to delegate off to them, the aspects of work that you can't focus on. What I mean, if you are to be doing billable work, researching and writing, make sure you are giving them the revisions to type up, or if you are going from handwritten notes -give it to them to format and get to look nice and presentable in proper formats-make sure if you are preparing memos-make sure the secretaries are doing the final write-ups which will free you to get back to the research and support functions you need to complete.

(Original post by lawstudent251)
    The thing is I’m the only paralegal at the firm because it’s quite a small firm 10-15 people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.