Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are they making the GCSE harder? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Last week I think, my vice principal told us in assembly that they’re making the GCSE harder because it’s too easy..
    Everyone started to shake their head, even the teachers.. I mean just because you found it easy doesn’t mean everyone else does..
    And later that week, my maths teacher told us that the equation formula they gave her at the time when she did her GCSE, won’t be in the new GCSE anymore.. The funny thing is though, I’m already doing bad in science and now they expect me to do twice as hard as it, because SOME people found it easy.. I really feel that everything we learnt in year 7, 8 and some of 9 was a waste, because we were only meant to remember things from year 9.. With all these changes and my year doing the new GCSE in 2019 will be so stressful and really hard because I won’t be able to find any past papers of it, because there hasn’t been any for other subjects but for Maths, English and possibly Science?
    I just think that the teachers hasn’t been preparing us properly, because it feels like I was in year 8 yesterday and they told us to “Not to think about it for too much and that there is plenty of time to do it” and now from nowhere starts to shout “If you don’t pass these mock exams, you’ll fail your GCSE”

Pray for #CLASSOF2019
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boystudy)
    Last week I think, my vice principal told us in assembly that they’re making the GCSE harder because it’s too easy..
    Everyone started to shake their head, even the teachers.. I mean just because you found it easy doesn’t mean everyone else does..
    And later that week, my maths teacher told us that the equation formula they gave her at the time when she did her GCSE, won’t be in the new GCSE anymore.. The funny thing is though, I’m already doing bad in science and now they expect me to do twice as hard as it, because SOME people found it easy.. I really feel that everything we learnt in year 7, 8 and some of 9 was a waste, because we were only meant to remember things from year 9.. With all these changes and my year doing the new GCSE in 2019 will be so stressful and really hard because I won’t be able to find any past papers of it, because there hasn’t been any for other subjects but for Maths, English and possibly Science?
    I just think that the teachers hasn’t been preparing us properly, because it feels like I was in year 8 yesterday and they told us to “Not to think about it for too much and that there is plenty of time to do it” and now from nowhere starts to shout “If you don’t pass these mock exams, you’ll fail your GCSE”

Pray for #CLASSOF2019
    When they say it is harder. It is really not that much harder, all they are doing is adding a few more things and taking away formula books. No biggy.
    - i remember my school claiming triple science was soooo hard. but it wasnt really
    If you practice/revise your subjects it should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Year 7 and 8 were a waste in my opinion. We only really got the proper exam technique into us in year 9.

The exams aren't that much harder. I did the new English Lit and Language ones, and although I dreaded them and hated them (although I'd have hated the old ones just as much), I did OK. I took Maths early so I did the old spec, but my friends said that while the new spec did have more content, it was manageable.

Also, GCSEs are generally norm-standardised, so roughly the same percentage of students get each grade year-on-year. So getting a certain grade isn't any harder than before. If the exam gets harder, the grade boundaries are lowered.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.