Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, how do you create a CV appropriate for a graduate role? I want to apply for graduate schemes, but have little to no related experience for most. I've done quite a bit of volunteering though, so I've been trying to push the skills I've learnt through these. But under each role I've had, I seem to be pointing out the same skills which seems a bit redundant! These are the obvious: team work, time management, communication skills. I'm also putting in things that I've achieved in these roles but as it's unrelated to what I'm applying for I don't know whether it's useful. All in all, my CV seems quite bland- what am I doing wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poooky)
    Hi everyone, how do you create a CV appropriate for a graduate role? I want to apply for graduate schemes, but have little to no related experience for most. I've done quite a bit of volunteering though, so I've been trying to push the skills I've learnt through these. But under each role I've had, I seem to be pointing out the same skills which seems a bit redundant! These are the obvious: team work, time management, communication skills. I'm also putting in things that I've achieved in these roles but as it's unrelated to what I'm applying for I don't know whether it's useful. All in all, my CV seems quite bland- what am I doing wrong?
    What types of roles are you applying for? Graduate schemes or general entry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajj2000)
    What types of roles are you applying for? Graduate schemes or general entry?
    Both, I seem to be having the same problem across the board though. No matter which role I'm applying to, grad schemes or to specific roles, or even something like tutoring I feel like my CV is lacking something. The problem may just be lack of proper work experience and hence I'm having to really stretch my volunteering to make it relevant. I'm stuck

ReputationRep:
    Both, I seem to be having the same problem across the board though. No matter which role I'm applying to, grad schemes or to specific roles, or even something like tutoring I feel like my CV is lacking something. The problem may just be lack of proper work experience and hence I'm having to really stretch my volunteering to make it relevant. I'm stuck
    Well, if you've done a decent amount of volunteering you must be in a better place than most. Have you had someone used to reading CVs have a look at yours to make sure that you are writing appropriate things for the types of jobs you are applying for? Are you applying for pretty much everything or specific fields of work?

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you've done a decent amount of volunteering you must be in a better place than most. Have you had someone used to reading CVs have a look at yours to make sure that you are writing appropriate things for the types of jobs you are applying for? Are you applying for pretty much everything or specific fields of work?
    No I haven't- I feel quite embarrassed of it in it's current state which is why I haven't sought out someone. I will send it to my universities careers service soon but didn't want to look stupid I guess that's silly as they're there to offer help!

I have applied to some retail positions and received an interview, but I applied through the website/completed the sections online and didn't upload a CV at all. The rest are all vaguely science related.

ReputationRep:
    No I haven't- I feel quite embarrassed of it in it's current state which is why I haven't sought out someone. I will send it to my universities careers service soon but didn't want to look stupid I guess that's silly as they're there to offer help!

I have applied to some retail positions and received an interview, but I applied through the website/completed the sections online and didn't upload a CV at all. The rest are all vaguely science related.
    The university should be able to give you some decent advice for starters. I'd join linkedin for a couple of reasons - you can find anyone you know in the 'vaguely science related' field to check you are mentioning the right things, and read the CVs of people a couple of years ahead of you. Mentioning the right things - such as equipment and software used can be massively important as your CV is likely to be screened by an HR person before anyone who would know what you have done catches sight of it.

Also, don't forget the basics. One of my colleagues was reviewing CVs yesterday for the sort of job graduates with 2-5 years experience might apply for. 20 out of 30 that he reviewed were rejected for poor spelling and lack of attention to detail. Its not always hard to stand out.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Go to one of the main graduate job boards like targetjobs or milkround and find a template on there. That will be a good starting point then go to your careers service with a first draft.

Don’t list skills under volunteering roles. List what you did, and the skills should be fairly evident from that.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, how do you create a CV appropriate for a graduate role?
    Have you tried posting your CV on the TSR CV Help forum

ReputationRep:
    The university should be able to give you some decent advice for starters. I'd join linkedin for a couple of reasons - you can find anyone you know in the 'vaguely science related' field to check you are mentioning the right things, and read the CVs of people a couple of years ahead of you. Mentioning the right things - such as equipment and software used can be massively important as your CV is likely to be screened by an HR person before anyone who would know what you have done catches sight of it.

Also, don't forget the basics. One of my colleagues was reviewing CVs yesterday for the sort of job graduates with 2-5 years experience might apply for. 20 out of 30 that he reviewed were rejected for poor spelling and lack of attention to detail. Its not always hard to stand out.
    Thank you! I'm on Linkedin but haven't been using it enough- I'll find where alumni have gone and see if I can speak to any.

That's shocking I'll make sure mine's been checked through a few times by different people! Thank you for all your help

(Original post by threeportdrift)
    Have you tried posting your CV on the TSR CV Help forum
    That was my plan once it's been tweaked

(Original post by J-SP)
    Go to one of the main graduate job boards like targetjobs or milkround and find a template on there. That will be a good starting point then go to your careers service with a first draft.

Don’t list skills under volunteering roles. List what you did, and the skills should be fairly evident from that.
    Is it a bad idea to mention the skill and how it was gained, e.g. "Communication skills gained through presentations to the research group" or is it better to let employers infer them?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I'm on Linkedin but haven't been using it enough- I'll find where alumni have gone and see if I can speak to any.

That's shocking I'll make sure mine's been checked through a few times by different people! Thank you for all your help

Is it a bad idea to mention the skill and how it was gained, e.g. "Communication skills gained through presentations to the research group" or is it better to let employers infer them?
    Something like that is a bit obvious and vague.

You haven’t gained communication skills. You would have had them before hand and you mean your presentation skills rather than wider communication skills, which is obvious from the reference to the presentation.

Sometime it isn’t as clear cut as that though, and may need defining the skills.

This example it’s obvious though.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:

Employers will infer very little, and don't leave it to them to define what to think.

If you need to show communications skills, begin the bullet point with a communications verb and then give scope and scale to what you did eg

• Presented to a panel of 6 international judges for 30 minutes, plus a 20 minute Q&A session
    • Presented to 100+ staff at monthly whole team update sessions
    • Presented at termly research group meetings and defended ideas clearly but explored group suggestions and new ideas in the meeting and after

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Something like that is a bit obvious and vague.

You haven’t gained communication skills. You would have had them before hand and you mean your presentation skills rather than wider communication skills, which is obvious from the reference to the presentation.

Sometime it isn’t as clear cut as that though, and may need defining the skills.

This example it’s obvious though.
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Employers will infer very little, and don't leave it to them to define what to think.

If you need to show communications skills, begin the bullet point with a communications verb and then give scope and scale to what you did eg

• Presented to a panel of 6 international judges for 30 minutes, plus a 20 minute Q&A session
    • Presented to 100+ staff at monthly whole team update sessions
    • Presented at termly research group meetings and defended ideas clearly but explored group suggestions and new ideas in the meeting and after
    Thank you, that's really useful- I'll keep these in mind and update my CV!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.