Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have always wanted to be a vet and I'm in year 12 now studying Bio, Chem & Geography .
    My worries are I really don't have the best GSCE grades for the vet courses.
    Geography A*
    Spanish A*
    English Lit A
    English Lang A
    French A
    Biology B
    Chemistry B
    Physics B
    Maths B
    As you can see all the sciencey stuff are B's I was 2 marks off an A for bio & physics. I guess I did pretty well for being self taught subjects but I don't want any excuses - I should of tried harder !!!

I know I'm such a capable student and looking back it makes me so angryyy. However I'm sure I can and will get As/A*s in my A level subjects.
    Now I would just like to know it i did achieve those A/A* grades at A level, would my GCSE grades still hold me back ?
    Id be grateful for any advice

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I know exactly how you feel about being an able student and your GCSE’s not reflecting that but just like me, I believe you’ve done very very well (if we don’t say so ourselves lol :P)

Generally, GCSE’s are a performance indicator. Even top universities, and I know this from having spoken with my UCAS officer and different admissions teams , say that GCSE’s generally display how you perform. So the standard passes in core subjects and generally high grades are what they like, but it’s not always a must. And your grades are high, you’ve done very well. If you achieve those A* grades at A level I’m sure your GCSE’s won’t hold you back, and if you meet the entry requirements they won’t hold you back either.

You did amazing! Enjoy x
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Personally I did not meet every single one of the GCSE entrance requirements and that did not stop offers being made, but B's in science GCSE's may be a different story. I would aim to resit them if possible as you will be up against other candidates that have both the A/A* grades at A level & GCSE. The interview process *cough* not at bristol anymore *cough* will be the time to prove yourself more suitable than other candidates but to get to that stage it is advisable to have the strongest set of results possible.
    Good luck with your application though

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, that's put my mind at ease quite a bit more, resitting them may be an option id have to consider
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.