Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I just created an account to put a question out to those who had to do a week of work experience in Y10. I am somebody who almost certainly wants to enter the field of psychology but, because of confidentiality, I am finding it increasingly difficult to get work experience, or volunteer work, at my age. I have contacted local colleges and universities but, because of the allocated week, few students will be there and therefore colleges aren't so eager.
    I don't particularly want to go to a primary school, and I would ideally like to stay within the field of psychology.

If anybody has been in my position before, or has any recommendations of other places I could go which relate to psychology, I would extremely appreciate some help.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, or if this is the wrong website for my query. I literally joined twenty minutes ago because I haven't been able to find a place.

Many Thanks,
    Bailey

ReputationRep:
    There are lots of things you could do that relate to psychology. You could volunteer with charities like Mind, Age UK, Alzheimer’s Society etc. They all have a role in psychology.

Look at local nurseries and preschools, as well as childminders, they may be looking to take on a person to help.
    You can also find a list of chartered psychologists in your area, it may be worth contacting them and asking if you could shadow them for a week or so, or just for any advice they could give 😊

The role doesn’t directly have to be psychology, as long as you can relate it back. So working with elderly people, young people, refugees etc.

Look on do-it.org and see what sort of roles there are, you may be able to volunteer with the NSPCC or Childline if you meet certain criteria

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avaia)
    There are lots of things you could do that relate to psychology. You could volunteer with charities like Mind, Age UK, Alzheimer’s Society etc. They all have a role in psychology.

Look at local nurseries and preschools, as well as childminders, they may be looking to take on a person to help.
    You can also find a list of chartered psychologists in your area, it may be worth contacting them and asking if you could shadow them for a week or so, or just for any advice they could give 😊

The role doesn’t directly have to be psychology, as long as you can relate it back. So working with elderly people, young people, refugees etc.

Look on do-it.org and see what sort of roles there are, you may be able to volunteer with the NSPCC or Childline if you meet certain criteria
    Thank - you for your response!
    I just found the website listing my local psychologists, so I'll be sure to email a few. It's just that my school makes us do a week of work experience, so I figured getting some in the field that I want to go into might appear good in a personal statement.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.