Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mia's GYG-GCSE edition Watch

ReputationRep:

WELCOME TO MY GROW YOUR GRADES THREAD (GCSE EDITION)

Introduction:
    Hi! I'm Mikos, but you can call me Mia if you'd like. I'm currently in year 11 studying my GCSEs. Here is what I'll be studying:
    • English Literature (AQA)
    • English Language (AQA)
    • Maths (AQA)
    • Chemistry (AQA)
    • Physics (AQA)
    • Biology (AQA)
    • History (EdExcel)
    • German (AQA)
    • Computer Science (OCR)

You may notice that I haven't got any predicted grades there. Well, due to the fact that, with brutal honesty, my school is a bit of a trainwreck, I don't have any predicted grades. However, I'm a very ambitious, so I'd like to get as many 8s, and especially 9s as possible (although the 9 is the ultimate goal across the board. Why not aim for 100%? C:)

Why I'm making this blog:
    While I did do a bit of work here and there in year 10, I didn't do as much as I feel I should have, and only really revised when I was prompted to with unit tests and the like. In year 11, I want to really fix up. Throughout my school career, whilst my achievements have been above average, they haven't really been anything super impressive. This year, I intend to change all of that.

I know that I'll need to start early, as I have high ambitions, however, I'm not a traditionally "bright" student. With that in mind, I'm going to need to do as much work as I can to get that edge over other candidates, as the way the new 9-1 scheme is marked means that you get directly pitted against other students, as your grade is based on how well you do in relation to others.

With that in mind, I'm gonna need to stay motivated throughout, and I thought that a GYG blog was an excellent way to do this. This way, it allows me to, as aforementioned, keep my motivation up, in addition to documenting just how much I'm doing each day and seeing where I can improve. At the end of it all, I think it'll be interesting to see what I could have done differently in preparation for A-Levels, and of course what went well, too!

In other words, I think this thread will really give me that kick up the backside that I need in order to succeed :P (woah, that rhymed!)

What to expect in this blog:
    I'm not actually sure what will end up here, if I'm honest. However, I expect to be posting the following:
    • What I do each day revision wise
    • The revision resources I use
    • Any challenges I'm facing (and, more importantly, how I intend to overcome them).
    • Much more!

Well, that concludes this introduction for now! If you'd like to stay and join me on my journey to good grades, that'd be awesome!! Equally, if you wish to offer any advice, please do let me know. I'll take all the help I can get at this point, haha.

Today is the 21st of October 2017. Tomorrow (the 22nd of October), is when this blog shall truly begin.

Wish me luck.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck with your journey!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur14)
    Good luck!
    (Original post by dxvid)
    Best of luck with your journey!
    Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    DAY 1: 22/10/17
    Today's plans:
    Today, I plan to do at least 2 hours of maths. Maths is sort of a priority subject for me, as it has always been my weakest. My teacher thinks I'm more than capable of a 7, and my maths tutor thinks I'm capable of a 9 (which I will almost definitely not get haha :P). Throughout primary school, I was in bottom set for maths, and entering secondary school, I was in set 3 of 4 in a chavvy state school. These days, I'm in the top girls' set (since we no longer have "halves" to our year groups, our department used this way to split the classes). I think my failure earlier on was 1. due to the fact that my primary school favoured naturally "bright" students rather than looking for potential (oh, and by the way, these "bright kids"? They weren't even necessarily bright, they were just all born in September, and thus had started school earlier) and 2. because at this point your maths ability was measured based on standard of arithmetic alone rather than mathematical reasoning and other factors which are more important at GCSE level. Personally, I have a relatively poor standard of arithmetic but excellent mathematical reasoning.

I also would like to at least half an hour of German, as German is one of those subjects which require consistent practice.

In future, I wish to be doing more than 2 and a half hours a day. However, let's start out in a way that I can manage, and maybe I'll even exceed that!

ReputationRep:
    hey!! good luck with y11! we're basically taking all the same subjects, except computing x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mez_merising)
    hey!! good luck with y11! we're basically taking all the same subjects, except computing x
    Woah, that's cool! I'm guessing you're in year 11, too?
    What are you taking instead of computing, and what exam boards is your school using for those subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikos)
    Woah, that's cool! I'm guessing you're in year 11, too?
    What are you taking instead of computing, and what exam boards is your school using for those subjects?
    nah im in y10

aqa eng lang & lit
    edexcel maths
    aqa bio, chem, phys
    edexcel german
    aqa? history
    aqa drama
    ocr latin
    ocr? art

ReputationRep:
    nah im in y10

aqa eng lang & lit
    edexcel maths
    aqa bio, chem, phys
    edexcel german
    aqa? history
    aqa drama
    ocr latin
    ocr? art
    Ohh, I see. Best of luck with year 10! My advice is to stay on top of things, but don't stress yourself out. Make sure you understand everything as you go along, as when it comes to revising, prompting the knowledge is quicker and easier than relearning!
    And we're doing the same exam board for the sciences and English. Do you have the CGP revision guides for science? If not, I highly recommend picking them up! They're sooo helpful :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikos)
    Ohh, I see. Best of luck with year 10! My advice is to stay on top of things, but don't stress yourself out. Make sure you understand everything as you go along, as when it comes to revising, prompting the knowledge is quicker and easier than relearning!
    And we're doing the same exam board for the sciences and English. Do you have the CGP revision guides for science? If not, I highly recommend picking them up! They're sooo helpful :P
    yesss CGP is so helpful! i just got a 9 on my chemistry test from it

ReputationRep:
    yesss CGP is so helpful! i just got a 9 on my chemistry test from it
    Wow! That's excellent, especially in year 10. Keep up the good work, you'll do great

ReputationRep:
    DAY 1: 22/10/17
    What I did today:
    Today, I did 1 and a half hours of maths. This fell short of my 2 hour goal, but that's fine as it is still early days, and I didn't have much time today anyway due to holiday planning, music lessons and fitness sessions. However, what I got done was worth every second of that time and I made excellent use of that 1.5 hour. I solidified my understanding of quadratics, particularly solving them, as this was a topic I wasn't as confident on previously. Additionally, I've just about gotten to grips with quadratic simultaneous equations. They were a little convoluted at first, and it was easy to make mistakes (well, what would you expect from a grade 8/9 topic?), but the principles are easy, and, with all things maths related, it got much easier with practice. I'm now much, much more confident on this topic and will continue it tomorrow, just to ensure that I'm confident with it. I know that I'll revisit this in class (I'm reading ahead as we're a bit behind right now), so hopefully I'll practice it more then!
    I forgot to do German for similar reasons to why I fell short of my two hour goal.
    What I used:
    I used Mathsgenie! Mathsgenie has excellent maths revision resources for the new 9-1 scheme, and I HIGHLY recommend it. It has helped me so much to understand maths better.
    I also used some notes that my maths tutor wrote with me. She's a great tutor, and I first visited this topic with her.
    Tomorrow's plan:
    As I failed to meet my goals today, I'll try and meet the same goals tomorrow (besides, I have more time tomorrow and I'm now more used to revising for longer periods of time). I'd like to think of it as "catching up" on what I missed out today. Don't worry, on day 3 I'll definitely switch up the topics. You won't have to hear me babbling on about maths and German forever, I promise lol

Thanks for reading, and I'll see you guys tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    DAY 2: 23/10/17
    What I did today:
    Today, I did 2 hours of maths and half an hour of German. I'm really happy about this, because this means that I have met my goals for day 2. It has shown that I have progressed, as well, as previously I was unable to meet the targets I set.
    What I used:
    I used MathsGenie for maths, which I used to print out some question sheets and give me a few pointers on histograms. I also used some revision notes from my maths tutor. I also used some previously printed out sheets to increase my confidence on simultaneous equations with a quadratic and I've done quite a bit of work on histograms with this. I also used Memrise and a website called Kerboodle which has online versions of textbooks from OUP.

(I realise I'm updating the day after lol, I was super tired last night. Update later today!)

ReputationRep:
    DAY 3: 24/10/17
    What I did today:
    Today, I focused on biology. Biology's a strong suit of mine, and something I enjoy revising. I even intend to take it at A-Level.
    Today, I did 3 hours and 12 mins (can you tell I was using a timer? haha) of biology. This included notetaking and answering plenty of questions.
    I also did 5 minutes of German. With languages, you can't ever cram. You have to be consistent, that's why doing a little regularly goes a long way. I consider myself to be good at German, and I owe this high ability to a good technique. My advice to those doing languages would be to do them regularly, not necessarily for long periods, though.
    What I used:
    For biology, I used my CGP revision guides and Freesciencelessons videos on YouTube for notetaking. As for the questions I did, I used Kerboodle, which has online versions of the OUP textbooks.
    In terms of German, I used Memrise, just to keep my streak going and to keep my memory of German fresh!

I'm happy to say that this was a successful day. My goals for today were simply to do at least 2 hours of a science, followed by a small amount of German, and I think I smashed that goal, which I'm super happy about. Tomorrow's goal will be similar, as I have high expectations for myself in science, and mocks are soon approaching.

As I'm evidently capable of doing an excess of 3 hours of revision, I might start increasing my daily goals. I aim to start doing at least 5-6 hours on non-school days in the near future, so I hope I'll gradually see myself getting to that point.

Until next time!

ReputationRep:
    DAY 4: 25/10/17
    I know, I'm updating this late. Anyway, this was the day before I went on holiday to NYC, so I didn't have time to do any revision during that time period.
    However, the day before I set off, I did a bit of work. However, I was tired when I was meant to update, so I fell asleep before I could update lol.
    What I did today:
    On that day, I did 2 hours of biology in addition to a few minutes of German. I have made plenty of revision sheets for biology, and once I'm finished doing it, I'll give you guys a look!
    What I used:
    I used memrise for German, and Freesciencelessons for biology.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mia,
    just had a quick skim of your posts. your revision is very intense, you clearly revise a lot so good luck for everything, hope you get the grades you want. im y11 same as you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous work)
    Hi Mia,
    just had a quick skim of your posts. your revision is very intense, you clearly revise a lot so good luck for everything, hope you get the grades you want. im y11 same as you
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate that. Likewise, I hope that you too achieve the grades you wish for.
    Out of interest, which subjects are you taking?

ReputationRep:
    DAY 5: 03/10/17 (PLAN)
    Wow, it's been a while! Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been abroad, and haven't had time to revise as a result. However, I'm back, and ready to get right back into the swing of things!
    Today's plan:
    Once again, I plan to get some biology done today. I'm thinking 2 hours as today's biology target. Not too high, but not insufficient, either, which is the perfect balance for getting right back into the swing of things! I also wish to do an hour or so of maths, as this is, as aforementioned, my weak point. I will also do a relatively small amount of German (5-10 mins, possibly more depending on how I feel when it comes to it).

That's 3 hours in total. Again, I plan to increase this workload sometime soon, but for now, I'm more focused on getting re-familiarised with having a somewhat hefty workload to deal with. And, if I'm honest, 3 hours isn't bad for someone simply trying to readjust.

Update later!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikos)
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate that. Likewise, I hope that you too achieve the grades you wish for.
    Out of interest, which subjects are you taking?
    Hey mia,
    thanks for replying, not many people reply back lol. um so you mentioned what subjects im taking, well im at the "scrubber" school as many people call it lol, and the subjects i take are maths, both englishe's, triple science (bio, chem, phys), hospitality (cooking to you and me), psychology (which is bloody awesome) and ICT.
    thanks,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous work)
    Hey mia,
    thanks for replying, not many people reply back lol. um so you mentioned what subjects im taking, well im at the "scrubber" school as many people call it lol, and the subjects i take are maths, both englishe's, triple science (bio, chem, phys), hospitality (cooking to you and me), psychology (which is bloody awesome) and ICT.
    thanks,
    No problem!
    I've personally never heard of a "scrubber" school, would you mind explaining what that entails to me? I personally just go to a pretty typical state school haha.
    Psychology sounds really interesting! I'm actually considering taking it at A-Level, although admittedly I'm currently not sure. I heard it's largely statistic based, although that's just hearsay.

Submit reply
Updated: November 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.