Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mia's GYG-GCSE edition Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.N123)
    I think your format is amazing! It will definitely get you those top grades! All the best in your mocks! I know you can do it! 💗💗💗💗
    totally agree!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.N123)
    I think your format is amazing! It will definitely get you those top grades! All the best in your mocks! I know you can do it! 💗💗💗💗
    Thank you very much I'm so happy to hear that you like it. I can't put my appreciation into words for your ongoing kindness. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouddbubbles)
    totally agree!
    Tysm

ReputationRep:
    DAY 12: 11/11/17
    What I did today:
    • Firstly, I did an hour of maths. I worked on the grade 8-9 aspects as well as some methods for simpler arithmetic.
    • Later, I did 2 hours worth of history. This was largely just exam practice. If you saw yesterday's post, you know that I'm focusing on exam practice as it's a bit of a weak point for me.
    • Finally, I did 20 or so minutes of German vocab practice

What I used:
    For German, I used Memrise and Kerboodle. For maths, I was with my tutor, so I used her resources. As for history, I used my schoolbook and my CGP revision guide.
    For the first time ever, I am slightly unimpressed with a CGP textbook. I feel like this book just doesn't have the level of detail needed to do well in the exam. It's good enough to pass, but it's probably not enough to excel. This is strange to me, as the company Pearson owns both EdExcel (the exam board I'm doing for history) and CGP, so you'd expect it to be amazing. Needless to say, I'm a bit disappointed. However, I've found a set of history revision guides which my teacher says are MUCH better than the CGP textbooks, so I plan to pick up a copy of them I'll show you guys when they arrive, and of course I'll let you know what I think

ReputationRep:
    DAY 13: 12/11/17
    What I did today:
    Today, I did 2 hours of biology and about half an hour's worth of German.
    What I used:
    I did some Memrise for German, and managed to accumulate 1 million points on Memrise today It's always nice to see how a long-term amount of work builds up to make something cool. In addition, I did some biology work. I finished off homeostasis, and have made progress on the genetics topic.

ReputationRep:
    CURRENT CHALLENGES (13/11/17)
    A few days ago, I made a similar post to this one outlining the obstacles which are stopping me from getting the grades I want (and more importantly, how I am to overcome them\). So, let's take a look at them:

What I need to focus on:
    • Condensing answers:

I'm sure all students can agree that the last thing you want in an exam is to be wasting away/losing precious time. When I was doing history work on Saturday, what I noticed was that I could spend a LOT of time on only a few marks. I think that I'm going to try writing answers with only what I need, and see how it fares in comparison.

• Always linking to the question:

When you've got a lot to talk about, it's easy to go off on tangents. This wastes time and doesn't contribute to the question, which means you're not getting any marks. I will rectify this by sticking to a structure wherein after every "structured paragraph", I shall ensure that I have linked back to the question.

• The history department

I apologise if this comes off as at all ranty, but something today made me extremely upset. As you guys may know, I have been doing history work, revision and essays off my own back to bring my grade up. I intend to study history at A-level, however, in my year 10 mocks I was deemed to be working at a 6. The marking and grade boundaries were clearly harsh to extreme levels, however, this did not change the fact that I was hugely disappointed. Naturally, I'm currently trying to rectify the situation to get my grades up. I then showed the exam practice I did to my teacher today, who then complained that we "hadn't covered that topic yet" (even though it was on the sheet for what would appear on the mock exams, naturally prompting me to read ahead). She then proceeded to rant for about 7 days and 7 nights about things that didn't matter (such as the fact that I have 2 history workbooks, which was due to my previous teacher, not me), screaming down my face in front of the class just because she's pedantic and looks for things to complain about. Other members of the class said later that they felt bad for me, as I had done no wrong.

The worst part is that this isn't the only time that I've had a negative experience with the history department. My last teacher picked on me (for some weird reason, she favoured "popular" kids who didn't really care about their work, rather than those who do), and slandered me. She was totally unprofessional and didn't teach well. I was looking forward to this new teacher because she gets good results, but she won't even give me feedback on my work which is the only way I'm going to improve. She is literally hindering my learning and then shouting at me for trying to achieve. What angers me most is the fact that had I been dissatisfied by these coming mock results in any way, the first thing they'd do is blame me for "not putting enough work in", even though I've gone above and beyond, only for those efforts to be thrown back at me. I have never experienced this sort of tomfoolery from any other department, ever. I am immensely disappointed, not only to find out that my extensive efforts have gone to waste, but to know that there is essentially nothing I can do to get feedback on my exam technique, which is what is preventing me getting the grades I want at the moment.

Naturally, I'm extremely upset and distressed by the predicament I'm in. I feel trapped because I feel as though there is not much I can do to up my grade at this point, as the department are so unsupportive. As I'm sure you can tell, I no longer take the history department seriously. They're a bunch of clowns, seriously. I'm very tempted to literally go to my English teacher to help me with structure, or maybe the history teacher I haven't had (who seems chill and nice), as the rest of the department are extremely unhelpful.

Anyway, guys- sorry for the little rant! It's really unlike me to complain, and I want this thread to be a positive one, which is constructive to myself and others. However, I felt as though it was necessary to document any challenges I'm having. Hopefully, I'll somehow overcome this situation, but needless to say, I'm struggling a LOT with history at the moment, and it's beginning to stress me out.

Thanks for reading, everyone! Update soon

ReputationRep:
    same with me and history! i got my first essay back and im like whaaT?
    hopefully it gets better soon xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mez_merising)
    same with me and history! i got my first essay back and im like whaaT?
    hopefully it gets better soon xx
    Thank you!
    It's been a bit disheartening but I'll try not to let it hinder me x
    Yeah, history is certainly a subject that requires practice, so don't worry if you're not getting good grades at the start. Just ask your teacher for support and you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    DAY 14: 15/11/17
    Recently, I've been extremely tired, so I thought I might take the day off, which turned out to be very worthwhile as I was too exhausted too revise effectively at the time.
    What I did today:
    I did 1 hour of chemistry and about 15 minutes of German. I thought that since I've been taking breaks and have been trying to break out of such a weary state, I decided I'd go easy on myself, just for today.
    What I used:
    No prizes for guessing what I did for German haha But Memrise has been super helpful to me, so I'm glad it's been around. As for chemistry, I used my CGP textbook and did a bunch of questions on Kerboodle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikos)
    DAY 14: 15/11/17
    Recently, I've been extremely tired, so I thought I might take the day off, which turned out to be very worthwhile as I was too exhausted too revise effectively at the time.
    What I did today:
    I did 1 hour of chemistry and about 15 minutes of German. I thought that since I've been taking breaks and have been trying to break out of such a weary state, I decided I'd go easy on myself, just for today.
    What I used:
    No prizes for guessing what I did for German haha But Memrise has been super helpful to me, so I'm glad it's been around. As for chemistry, I used my CGP textbook and did a bunch of questions on Kerboodle.
    well done for having a productive day!
    hope you feel bette soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouddbubbles)
    well done for having a productive day!
    hope you feel bette soon
    Thanks! tbh I'm surprised I got much done, because I went to an open evening which essentially consumed my entire evening, and then following this I of course had to eat, get ready for bed, etc.

I also revised straight for that hour instead of doing so in intervals, so I'm hoping that my revision will be more concentrated, allowing me to get more done

ReputationRep:
    DAY 15: 16/11/17
    I feel like I've really got the ball rolling again in terms of working, so I'm happy
    What I did today:
    I did 1 hour of German and 2 hours of chemistry. That's a total of 3 hours! For a school day, that's pretty good, and I'm happy about that.
    What I used:
    For German I did a bunch of Memrise over break, lunch and tutor time (we have computers in our tutor room).
    For chemistry, I used my CGP textbook and Kerboodle.

Anyway, guys, as aforementioned, I'm rather pleased with my current workload! Hopefully I'll be able to maintain and exceed it, even past mocks.

ReputationRep:
    Loving your blog so far. How are you so productive and motivated?
    We're doing all the same subjects except German and computer science
    Can't wait to see more
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Effy..)
    Loving your blog so far. How are you so productive and motivated?
    We doing all the same subjects except German and computer science
    Can't wait to see more
    xx
    Thank you so much Effy! I really appreciate your kind comments.
    Honestly, this GYG project has been a huge motivator for me! The best way to stay productive, in my opinion, is to have a timer on whilst you're revising. I use white noise YouTube videos which show you how much time has elapsed, and I'll pause it whenever I'm doing something else so I get an accurate idea of how much I've actually done.

That's cool that we're taking similar subjects. What are you taking instead of CS and German?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikos)
    Thank you so much Effy! I really appreciate your kind comments.
    Honestly, this GYG project has been a huge motivator for me! The best way to stay productive, in my opinion, is to have a timer on whilst you're revising. I use white noise YouTube videos which show you how much time has elapsed, and I'll pause it whenever I'm doing something else so I get an accurate idea of how much I've actually done.

That's cool that we're taking similar subjects. What are you taking instead of CS and German?
    Hi
    Yeah I've started my own gyg blog and have an app called tide for white noise. I just find it hard to get started but when I do I can be really productive.
    I'm taking Spanish and geography instead.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Yeah I've started my own gyg blog and have an app called tide for white noise. I just find it hard to get started but when I do I can be really productive.
    I'm taking Spanish and geography instead.
    I see you're also a fan of academic subjects yeah the hardest part of revision is definitely getting started tbh haha. Are you in year 10 or 11?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikos)
    I see you're also a fan of academic subjects yeah the hardest part of revision is definitely getting started tbh haha. Are you in year 10 or 11?
    Yeah not exactly the most artistically talented person and don't actually enjoy no academic subjects.
    I'm in year 10

ReputationRep:
    Yeah not exactly the most artistically talented person and don't actually enjoy no academic subjects.
    I'm in year 10
    Ahah, I'm the least artistic person you'll ever meet. Academic subjects are great and open many doors!
    The advice I always give to y10 is to not stress yourself out, but try and keep on top of all of your work! It'll do wonders. Best of luck with year 10!

ReputationRep:
    DAY 16: 17/11/17
    Another successful day of revision!
    What I did today:
    I did half an hour of biology, 2.5 hours of chemistry and a bit of German, as usual. That's over 3 hours, which I'm happy about. Tbh, I planned to do more, but 3 hours is nothing to complain about at this stage, honestly.
    What I used:
    For biology, I used some revision sheets on homeostatis given to me by my teacher. I'm pleased about this, since it was on the areas of homeostasis I needed to improve my knowledge on a bit.
    For chemistry, I used Kerboodle questions and Freesciencelessons. I took it back to basics by revisiting the earlier units, today
    I then did some Memrise, just to keep the streak going

ReputationRep:
    CURRENT CHALLENGES (18/11/17)

What I need to focus on:
    • Time management

Lately, I've noticed that in order to do a sufficient amount of revision, I will end up eating into hours in which I should be sleeping. Throughout the spare time I had in the day, I could have easily avoided this by revising during this time, but due to my poor time management I end up cramming it into the later hours. I want to put a focus onto managing my time better, so I can get as much revision done without having to sacrifice my sleep

Submit reply
Updated: November 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.