Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you believe in fortune tellers? Watch

• Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Some of them can be scarily accurate about your present life, past and future without knowing anything about you. Makes you wonder since they got your past and present correct, would the future predictions be also correct? Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    I believe they exist.
    I don't believe in the authenticity of their practice.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    nope
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    All the fortune tellers I've met where either really depressing or excessively enthusiastic.

I just don't know why I can't find a happy medium.

ReputationRep:
    It's just a prank bro

ReputationRep:
    Nope, you should watch Derren Brown shows you how they do it, it is very clever, but not psychic at all
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    A typical fortune teller reading will involve loads of misses and a few hits. And there may be one or two of those hits that seem like it would be impossible for anyone to guess. But with that many facts thrown at you, there's a very good chance that a couple will be true. The subject will focus on these impossible hits and forget about all the misses. Then they will tell their friends about these hits and the fortune teller will get more business.

It's like if you toss 10 heads in a row : very unlikely for a one-off event but if you've been tossing a coin all day then 10 heads in a row becomes very likely.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    A typical fortune teller reading will involve loads of misses and a few hits. And there may be one or two of those hits that seem like it would be impossible for anyone to guess. But with that many facts thrown at you, there's a very good chance that a couple will be true. The subject will focus on these impossible hits and forget about all the misses. Then they will tell their friends about these hits and the fortune teller will get more business.

It's like if you toss 10 heads in a row : very unlikely for a one-off event but if you've been tossing a coin all day then 10 heads in a row becomes very likely.
    How about non-typical ones? Like those ones who get everything 100% correct about your life. It's scary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    All the fortune tellers I've met where either really depressing or excessively enthusiastic.

I just don't know why I can't find a happy medium.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    How about non-typical ones? Like those ones who get everything 100% correct about your life. It's scary
    WIth the millions of fortune teller readings happening around the world every day, there may be some that are 100% accurate just by pure chance. But I'm guessing that most people who say that a reading was 100% accurate exaggerate the facts. I remember a Derren Brown show where the subject thought that a reading was perfect but when they sat down later and analysed it, it turned out that most of what the FT told them wasn't true.

Also, people who go into a reading believing that the fortune teller is actually psychic will make the statements fit and forget that they were actually wrong. E.g. the FT might say that they have a brother called Paul when it's actually their Dad's name and they will leave the reading thinking that the FT told them their Dad's name.

ReputationRep:
    No, I've seen some caught out in a lie and unable to explain themselves after they're caught.

ReputationRep:
    They make assumptions about people based on the fact that they're looking for answers in their lives (hence going to see a medium), and it makes it seem like they know you. Non-specific phrases like "you're not quite where you want to be in life right now?", "I can feel that you have things on your mind?" and "you've felt unhappy and unsure about things in your life" are often used, which are of course going to apply to someone who is going to see a psychic.

First half of this video shows what sort of techniques these scammers use to make you think they're reading you, whereas they're just asking you generic questions and then devising further questions based on what you've told them and letting you do most of the talking. Second half of it shows a scam that has been used by many in the past. This program showed a few different types of psychic scams, as it happens.

ReputationRep:
    I believe in them as much as I do flying pigs.

ReputationRep:
    nope, don't believe in them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Most of them will be quite vague and could actually apply to a lot of people, it just sounds profound when you make the links between whatever they've said with what's going on in your life. Horoscopes are similar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading

ReputationRep:
    Mystics get the past and present correct through "cold reading". They don't actually know the answers, they just keep guessing and judge your reactions.

I'm getting an R... Robert - does that ring any bells for you? Rachel? Richard? And this person was... Someone you know quite well? Yes? And how do you know Richard? Oh he's telling me he left you something, some money? No perhaps jewelry? Some kind of necklace? Does this ring any bells?

It's a scam.

Also be wary of what they pick up about you through the internet or trawling your house. Maybe they need to "use your bathroom" and use the opportunity to look through family photos and whatever they can find. Psychics have been debunked time and time again. It's exceptionally unlikely that psychic powers are real... In concept you could think it SHOULD somehow be possible, in the block universe model where past present and future already exists... But apparently not.

ReputationRep:
    Charlatans and con artists or mentally unstable. One side or the other.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.