Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi ,
    I just bought a MacBook air and was wondering do I need to buy extra security for it i.e Norton as for all the laptops (windows) I’ve had I used norton security so I was wondering if Apple are the same
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mem123)
    Hi ,
    I just bought a MacBook air and was wondering do I need to buy extra security for it i.e Norton as for all the laptops (windows) I’ve had I used norton security so I was wondering if Apple are the same
    Ha ha Norton... Are you kidding me?

Just no. Don't use Norton.
    It's crap. Trust me.
    It slows down your computer and only gets like 40% of the viruses... And its expensive.
    Get Kaspersky or something or windows
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mem123)
    Hi ,
    It would be most advisable that you get something which will protect you from viruses and malware, as Macs are just as susceptible to get them, these days, as Windows is.

Norton is heavy for hardware. Kaspersky seems to be IMO the best out atm.

ReputationRep:
    Just grab Malwarebytes and you'll be good.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill Nye)
    Ha ha Norton... Are you kidding me?

Just no. Don't use Norton.
    It's crap. Trust me.
    It slows down your computer and only gets like 40% of the viruses... And its expensive.
    Get Kaspersky or something or windows
    Don’t get Windows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rival Dealer)
    Don’t get Windows.
    Meant to say 'for' not 'or' xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by egdum)
    Just grab Malwarebytes and you'll be good.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/
    Malwarebytes isn't a antivirus. You need something more than that. You can use an antivirus AND Malwarebytes .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill Nye)
    Malwarebytes isn't a antivirus. You need something more than that. You can use an antivirus AND Malwarebytes .
    Speak to anyone who has done any sort of security research for both systems, and they'll tell you only to grab Malwarebytes for both.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a Mac without anti virus, have done for years and I've always been fine without anyway viruses or anything. That might be because I always update my Mac though
    • :erm:

ReputationRep:
    OP, you don’t need an antivirus for MacOS.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beau02)
    I've got a Mac without anti virus, have done for years and I've always been fine without anyway viruses or anything. That might be because I always update my Mac though

• :erm:
    It's mostly due to the fact: that there are more viruses programmed for Windows than there are Mac. There are still viruses for Mac.

(Original post by Rival Dealer)
    OP, you don’t need an antivirus for MacOS.
    You do need an antivirus for MacOS. Mac's can still get viruses.

ReputationRep:
    You don’t need an antivirus for Mac

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses guys i realised i could just transfer my norton security from my old laptop onto my new mac

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.