Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

£200 supposed to last for 11 weeks Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I spent £1400 since September and now I only have £200 to last until January 8th. Help

QM
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiz Master)
    I spent £1400 since September and now I only have £200 to last until January 8th. Help

QM
    Damn. By my maths that is £2.59 a day... or £18.13 a week (roughly).

ReputationRep:
    Beg from your parents or get a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    Beg from your parents or get a job.
    My parents can’t help, and I’m too lazy to do that. I’m up to my neck in assignments already, too

QM

ReputationRep:
    you really need to save and balance well.

ReputationRep:
    If you won’t work part time then the only thing left is a student overdraft or student credit card. Most banks have an upper limit of £500 for a student credit card. However, be prepared for repayments on a card, and in January part of your maintenance loan will be eaten up by repaying the overdraft if you opted for that.

A part time job would be the wisest thing to do however.

ReputationRep:
    Part time job to cover yourself now, and then next term of SF make a budget for yourself and stick to it!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Student overdraft and part time job. Even just a few hours on a Sunday would be an extra £15 or so.

ReputationRep:

QM
    How much maintenance loan did you get?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I would seriously strongly recommend getting the part-time job. If your parents can't help you, this is the best decision.

You said you're pretty much up the brim with assignments?

Then I'd recommend that you go for a different approach for the part-time job. Find something that doesn't clash with your classes, and is late in the evening. Maybe even work once or twice a week, because even if you get paid £20 per session, if you work twice a week, that's a total of £40. Add that to the £18 per week you've got left per week, that's around £60.

In terms of groceries and food, you're sorted. But try being a little cautious and get only what you need, not luxuries. Don't spend more that £20-30. The rest of your money should be left for general needs.

So, put aside the Starbucks and whatever people get these days. That's too expensive.

I don't know if you're paying for your rent monthly or you've got a scheme worked out, or if you even have rent at all, but if you've got that to pay for too, you'll have to limit your spendings even more.

I strongly recommend that next time you get your money (come January), try fixing out a budget. No offence, but I think spending £1400 as a student is a little ridiculous.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Writer_Refresh)

In terms of groceries and food, you're sorted. But try being a little cautious and get only what you need, not luxuries. Don't spend more that £20-30. The rest of your money should be left for general needs.
    Meal plan to minimise the amount you're wasting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Meal plan to minimise the amount you're wasting.
    This is just a general thing. Spending £20 on groceries would probably leave you enough to last even the next week over. It's their choice how little they want to spend on food and stuff.

ReputationRep:

QM
    If you can't get a job or get money from elsewhere, you need to really budget. You have about £2.60 per day, so don't blow it all on a single coffee! If you shop smartly, your money will cover food. If you need to pay rent as well though, you definitely need a job. Next time don't spend all your money early...

ReputationRep:
    you'd better start turning tricks or something.......

ReputationRep:
    My parents can’t help, and I’m too lazy to do that. I’m up to my neck in assignments already, too

QM
    You could, erm.... make cheap slav foods for the next two months. Otherwise, you should get a job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvKQNLdMr48

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you need to have pasta and super noodles every day

ReputationRep:
    You're asking for help with money problems, yet you've said you're too lazy to get a part-time job, which will bring in money. You have to help yourself here.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any friends who are able to help you in this situation? If not I'm afraid it'll have to be pot noodles for the next 3 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolto)
    How much maintenance loan did you get?
    I received £2800, but £1200 is rent. I have £1400 left but the £1200 must be payed on October 31st

QM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djdanny22)
    Sounds like you need to have pasta and super noodles every day

not even "super" noodles

this man needs to be on some sainsbury's basics range type of noodles.......

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.