The Student Room Group

Should schools be single sex to prevent gender stereotypes?

Basically at my old school, at GCSE level boys and girls were separated, we still had break and stuff together but for classes we were separated. It was found that more boys chose subjects like food technology or home economics and more girls chose computer science and physics because there wasn't that pressure to pick 'boy' or 'girl' subjects.

Do you guys agree?
Original post by Milky_Way
Basically at my old school, at GCSE level boys and girls were separated, we still had break and stuff together but for classes we were separated. It was found that more boys chose subjects like food technology or home economics and more girls chose computer science and physics because there wasn't that pressure to pick 'boy' or 'girl' subjects.

Do you guys agree?

Little unsure of what you're asking..
"Should school's be single sex" implies you think we should only have all girl or all boy school's.
Reply 2
Original post by FloralHybrid
Little unsure of what you're asking..
"Should school's be single sex" implies you think we should only have all girl or all boy school's.

Sorry, my fault, that was a little unclear, not the best english (I'm actually not sure if the GCSE is the correct equivalent)

I guess should lessons be single sex?
Sorry, my fault, that was a little unclear, not the best english (I'm actually not sure if the GCSE is the correct equivalent)

I guess should lessons be single sex?

GCSE is equivalent to ages 14-16, if that helps.
Hmm. I don't think so. Separating them completely for the purpose of "It limits the chance of taking stereotypically gender specific subjects" isn't too valid. But then, it was never an issue at my school. More girls took further maths/comp sci. Than boys by far.

Interesting idea, though. :smile:
Reply 4
GCSE is equivalent to ages 14-16, if that helps.
Hmm. I don't think so. Separating them completely for the purpose of "It limits the chance of taking stereotypically gender specific subjects" isn't too valid. But then, it was never an issue at my school. More girls took further maths/comp sci. Than boys by far.

Interesting idea, though. :smile:

Ah yes then it would be the correct equivalent. It was a huge issue at my school, girls and boys didn't like being the only one in their class and some of the boys were just awful to the girls doing comp sci :frown: which is why they made the change
Ah yes then it would be the correct equivalent. It was a huge issue at my school, girls and boys didn't like being the only one in their class and some of the boys were just awful to the girls doing comp sci :frown: which is why they made the change

I'm surprised they didn't sit everyone down in an assembly and make them talk about it. Instead of addressing the issue, segregating them up seems a bit of an extreme, that doesn't solve much other than keeping genders apart.
Reply 6
I'm surprised they didn't sit everyone down in an assembly and make them talk about it. Instead of addressing the issue, segregating them up seems a bit of an extreme, that doesn't solve much other than keeping genders apart.

I know, I think my friends in that level miss having mixed classes, but at IB we are all together again and we don't have the problem (I guess since we are more mature) but I think the school tried stuff which didn't work
Reply 7
I don't think so no, I believe the social development far outweighs the slight advantage toward gender stereotyping
But what about the little Caitlyns/Bruces, which school would they go to?
Single sex schools cause a lot of annoying threads on the relationships section here where people from single sex schools aren't sure how to talk to the opposite sex. They treat them as some sort of alien race or something.

The social development is far more important imo
(edited 6 years ago)

Do you guys agree?

I don't think so. If anything, I think single-sex schools would create gender stereotypes (although not the same ones as those you bring up). If you have little contact with the other sex, you'll form all kinds of misinformed ideas about them, and since you'll rarely talk to them, you'll have little chance to break them. Your school's method is better because at least there is some mixing during breaktime, but I still think it'd be too segregated.

In my opinion, the problem of "boy" and "girl" subjects is deeper-rooted than in secondary schools. Way too much science-related stuff is aimed at boys.
No.

People need to learn to be around the opposite sex in order to function in the West. Workplaces and [most] universities are not single sex. You're just delaying the problem. What happens when Janice has been doing computer science in high school then goes to university and is surrounded by males in all her classes? It's easier to adapt when you're a kid anyway.
Reply 12
Personally, I think that single-sex schools allow boys or gils to flourish without the distraction of the oppisite gender and limiting themselves to 'girl' subjects or 'boy' subjects. I go to an all girls school and honestly it is the best decision my parents ever did for me. The girls I feel are less 'fake' and do what pleases them. The percentage of people who do a level maths and science is considerably higher than average: around 70% to 80% of all the students. Other same sex schools in my area are also doing considerably better than mixed schools so I guess they are beneficial.
Also, it's a myth that these schools don't prepare a student to mix with the oppisite sex as the oppisite sex is not seen as something different or alien, you would interact with them the same as you would interact with a person of the same sex. Also many of these schools have a same sex secondary and a mixed sixth form so I guess that is some sort of preparation. But there are like 2 boys in the whole sixth form in my school so I guess it wont make a difference.
I dons fathom why schools should be single sex. I have studied at usual school and to be honest I believe it's important that girls communicate with boys cause maybe it sounds quite naive but when you finish school and go to university/ work you see different adult life and even usual communication with your coevals gives you essential skills
You learn how you communicate with different people..
It will help to make girls /boys more socially adapted
and students can choose different subjects without reference to their gender
nope, don't really see the point of it. it's wasting money and resources if you teach them separately. so what if there's stereotypes; some may not even be aware of it or ignore it. if there's not much interaction with the opposite gender, then they're going to start coming up with their own misinformed ideas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending