Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to go to University, but can't afford it? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to go to university, outside of London, next summer (2018). I've been through the works on the GOV website, working out an estimate for maintenance yearly. I worked out that I would receive £601 a month for rent, food etc. My accomodation alone will be easily £150 a week, so that's £600 gone right there.
    I can't depend on my mum for help, as she's just started back at college after being on disability benefits for a number of years, and my step-dad has his own kids to pay for (I never expect him to pay for me anyway so that's out of the question)
    I understand I could get a part time job whilst at uni, but I've been working since I was 15, as well as school and college, and I feel it's getting too much for me in my third year at college, fitting in coursework, and working etc. I'm really not sure what to do, as I don't want to throw my work away that I'm doing for a crap, dead end job next summer when I leave college. After christmas, I will be saving up as much as I can - which really isn't a lot on a zero hour contract, but it's better than nothing. Any suggestions??

ReputationRep:
    What sort of accommodation are you looking for that would easily be £150 per week? Student accommodation can be as low as £90, and if you feel that's too much you could also just rent a £60 per week spare bedroom if need be. It's also worth bearing in mind that halls of residence contracts aren't always 52 weeks, there are options for 41(?) week ones and such at most places too.

ReputationRep:
    Hi.. you can apply for student loan and thy will ask you about your parents payment account and if you mom does earn a lot you student finance team will help you out to cover rent and food
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manclass98)
    I'm looking to go to university, outside of London, next summer (2018). I've been through the works on the GOV website, working out an estimate for maintenance yearly. I worked out that I would receive £601 a month for rent, food etc. My accomodation alone will be easily £150 a week, so that's £600 gone right there.
    I can't depend on my mum for help, as she's just started back at college after being on disability benefits for a number of years, and my step-dad has his own kids to pay for (I never expect him to pay for me anyway so that's out of the question)
    I understand I could get a part time job whilst at uni, but I've been working since I was 15, as well as school and college, and I feel it's getting too much for me in my third year at college, fitting in coursework, and working etc. I'm really not sure what to do, as I don't want to throw my work away that I'm doing for a crap, dead end job next summer when I leave college. After christmas, I will be saving up as much as I can - which really isn't a lot on a zero hour contract, but it's better than nothing. Any suggestions??
    you could try googling to see if you are entitled to any company funding from anywhere I know HSBC offer some grants (not loans) or if you could get onto a professional apprenticeship which pays for your degree
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pogkaku)
    What sort of accommodation are you looking for that would easily be £150 per week? Student accommodation can be as low as £90, and if you feel that's too much you could also just rent a £60 per week spare bedroom if need be. It's also worth bearing in mind that halls of residence contracts aren't always 52 weeks, there are options for 41(?) week ones and such at most places too.
    The cheapest accommodation is £150 a week, at my first choice uni, as it's on campus halls (this in in Leeds by the way, so nowhere fancy) Every other uni I'm looking at is either the same price, or more expensive. It works out with their contracts to take all my maintenance loan up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharon_rutendo)
    Hi.. you can apply for student loan and thy will ask you about your parents payment account and if you mom does earn a lot you student finance team will help you out to cover rent and food
    thanks for the reply, but that's basically what I was saying haha. I can apply for a loan, as you said, but i'd only be entitled to enough just to cover my rent payments for my accomodation, leaving me with nothing else for everything I need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna257)
    you could try googling to see if you are entitled to any company funding from anywhere I know HSBC offer some grants (not loans) or if you could get onto a professional apprenticeship which pays for your degree
    Yeah, I was thinking that. I know in the long run I would need a job, even if its just a couple of days a week, but it's actually paying for things I need in the meantime that Im going to struggle with. I'l have a look though!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    The cheapest accommodation is £150 a week, at my first choice uni, as it's on campus halls (this in in Leeds by the way, so nowhere fancy) Every other uni I'm looking at is either the same price, or more expensive. It works out with their contracts to take all my maintenance loan up.
    You don't need fully-catered ensuite.

https://accommodation.leeds.ac.uk/compare-residences
    Accomodation from £85pw.

Also have you looked at scholarships/bursaries at Leeds?
    http://www.leeds.ac.uk/info/130532/s...3/scholarships

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    You don't need fully-catered ensuite.

https://accommodation.leeds.ac.uk/compare-residences
    Accomodation from £85pw.

Also have you looked at scholarships/bursaries at Leeds?
    http://www.leeds.ac.uk/info/130532/s...3/scholarships
    Sorry, I should've been more specific. I'll (hopefully) be going to Leeds Beckett, Headingley campus. I've looked at other off-site student digs too, nearest being Kirkstall brewery, but that is just as expensive as on-campus halls. I could look at inner city living also, but it'd be just as costly being in the centre.
    I'm not sure if I'd qualify for a bursary or anything, either, as my stepdad earns 35k annually, even though he won't be contributing financially anyhow.

Thankyou though for the info!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I should've been more specific. I'll (hopefully) be going to Leeds Beckett, Headingley campus. I've looked at other off-site student digs too, nearest being Kirkstall brewery, but that is just as expensive as on-campus halls. I could look at inner city living also, but it'd be just as costly being in the centre.
    I'm not sure if I'd qualify for a bursary or anything, either, as my stepdad earns 35k annually, even though he won't be contributing financially anyhow.

Have you looked at living in a student house which might be cheaper?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/accomm...abplaceholder3

ReputationRep:
    Why not take a gap year, get a job and work really hard to save up as much money as you can?

That way, you have enough money to live on, and also you'll have a year of hard work on your CV that most of your contemporaries won't. It will impress future employers far more than those gap years where people travel around Asia.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I've moved your thread into this sub-forum so that you'll get more helpful replies like you've got already.

I'm not an expert on this so can't help much.

What I will say though is that you're a good few years away from university, so both personally and politically, things may change between then and now which means that affording university is more do-able for you.:yes:

MR
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

As per
    That's £89

Also http://www.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/accomm...stall-brewery/
    A little more expensive at £105

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.