Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you believe that the death penalty is an effective deterrent for crime? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you believe the death penalty is an effective deterrent for crime?
    Yes
    35.90%
    No
    64.10%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tree Frog)
    Yes, China (which has the death penalty) has a significantly lower crime rate than the United States (no death penalty) does. I'll link my sources but I must say, you have made an excellent point.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-...d-States/Crime
    Yes, the US is known for having no death penalty. Dead Man Walking was a movie based on pure fantasy, like Mars Attacks!.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Placeboo123)
    My point is that I don't feel any sympathy for remorseless criminals and would prefer my tax money to be allocated into education or the NHS as oppose to feeding and accommodating useless despicable individuals.
    Then you need to do more research on the costs of capital punishment, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Any evidence you'd like to present to support your claim that prison sentences do not deter criminals?
    i am pretty sure that there are criminals who offend again after their initial sentence. i am relying on hearsay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    i am pretty sure that there are criminals who offend again after their initial sentence. i am relying on hearsay.
    There are criminals who offend again after their sentence. That doesn't mean prison sentences aren't a deterrent - there would certainly be more if we did not lock them up at all. And it's difficult to know, without resorting to rather complex statistics, how many people are deterred from committing their first crime by the prospect of imprisonment.

ReputationRep:
    Hasn't seemed to do a lot in countries where the death penalty's already there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Placeboo123)
    I'd disagree, I think that a lot of these 'people' simply become comfortable with the idea of prison and don't particularly see it as punishment but a way of life. Whereas if that life were to be under threat their actions would potentially be different.
    Besides, why exactly would you like to spare a child-killer's life?
    I wouldn't want to spare a child killers life. I don't mind the death penalty but I also don't think it's really effective at deterring crime.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Do countries with the death penalty have a significantly lower rate of crime?
    Would countries without it have significantly lower if they implemented it? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    No it is not a effective deterrent for crime. No method will completely eradicate crime from a society because such a thing is impossible. The death penalty is barbaric and is poisonous to a democratic society.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.