Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does the instructor always cancel on me or move the dates forward? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Already 3 lessons in, she knows what she's doing and I think she's a good teacher but family warned me about certain instructors; their time keeping and bringing their personal problems into lessons...

Two weeks ago I had my lesson with her, and I feel like my memory's flailing as it is, she asked me 'can you do it on Sunday next week' when I was quite fixed on Saturdays, I have things to do. I was hesitant to say the least but I took the offer considering she warned me the previous lesson she had a stomach scan coming up or something. Then I wake up (today) and see that she wants to move it to Monday.

On my very first lesson, woke up got ready and she messaged my mom earlier in the morning telling her she wanted to do it at 3 bc her 17 year old son was ill. First lesson as well and later on the day when she re-arranged -- as if I have all the time in the world, that she didn't want to create a bad first impression, okay..

Am I a ****ing puppet?! I pay her, try to be understanding. She can cancel on me last minute but if I do it, it's 'unfair' and I feel like this is the last strike.

To be honest I'm not fond of my phone so checking it first thing in the morning isn't my priority, but couldn't she have told me a day earlier bc I could've made plans, I have exams coming up aswell.

Idk if I should continue with her, or find another instructor and continue my lessons with them. I'm torn bc idk if another instructor can give me the same level of understanding as she did in her teaching.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by inshah)
    Already 3 lessons in, she knows what she's doing and I think she's a good teacher but people warmed me about some instructors, their time keeping and bringing their personal problems into lessons... Two weeks ago I had my lesson with her, she told me can you do it on Sunday next week when I was quite fixed on Saturday, I was hesitant to say the least but I took the offer by prior lesson she told me she had a stomach scan or something. Then I wake up, and see that she wants to move it to Monday.

On the first lesson, woke up got ready and she messaged my mom earlier in the morning that she wanted to do it at 3 bc her 17 year old son was ill. First lesson as well and later on the day when she re-arranged as if I have all the time in the world that she didn't want to create a bad first impression, okay... Am I a f*cking puppet?! I pay her, try to be understanding, she can cancel on me last minute but if I do that it's 'unfair' and I feel like this is the last strike.

Idk if I should continue with her, or shall I find another instructor and continue my lessons with them. I'm torn bc idk if another instructor can give me the same level of understanding as she did in her teaching.
    Your choice. You are paying for a service. If she isnt giving you what you want then find someone else who will. Just tell her its not working out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Your choice. You are paying for a service. If she isnt giving you what you want then find someone else who will. Just tell her its not working out.
    I know learners tend to have worse experiences, I just feel like I'm too approachable and that she can just do as she pleases with me, I'm a student not a friend. Perhaps, I should be firm with her and state the obvious then continue with her, idk? I ought to have a talk with my family before I take any step, lol, I only have the end of today to make a decision.

Thank you for being stern
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inshah)
    I know learners tend to have worse experiences, I just feel like I'm too approachable and that she can just do as she pleases with me, I'm a student not a friend. Perhaps, I should be firm with her and state the obvious then continue with her, idk? I ought to have a talk with my family before I take any step, lol, I only have the end of today to make a decision.

Thank you for being stern
    Moved to Learning to Drive

The problem for me personally, is that it sounds like she'll keep doing it because she can. Yes, I get that things happen and if it was just, say, 1 or 2 lessons out of 20, I wouldn't mind.

ReputationRep:
    Right, it isn't reliable if she keeps switching my timings. it's been 2 weeks, and it makes me think that she's doing this on purpose; to get money out of me. If it were someone else, they'd be getting the last laugh. I arranged another lesson with her this Sunday, I wonder if she'll show up... might aswell start looking elsewhere. It's a shame really, she had a neat car, she was pretty (ha, looks keep me interested (?)) and she was concise.Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.