Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi ALL!!

As we're getting closer to interviews, I am getting more and more nervous. My application is not as competitive but I am expecting interviews! 😊 However, I have gathered that interviews are not piece of cake and are, perhaps, the hardest section of all.🤢 I still don't have a clear idea on how to prepare for interviews... in fact, I am totally confused!😣 I know there are few books that we can probably use to prepare such as 'Interviews for Medical School' by 'ISC Medical'.

I want to hear from you!😀 How are you preparing (or prepared) for interviews? Did you use a book? If yes, then what book? If no, then what? (if you don't mind😊)

Any help would be appreciated!! 😊

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfge)
    Hi ALL!!

As we're getting closer to interviews, I am getting more and more nervous. My application is not as competitive but I am expecting interviews! 😊 However, I have gathered that interviews are not piece of cake and are, perhaps, the hardest section of all.🤢 I still don't have a clear idea on how to prepare for interviews... in fact, I am totally confused!😣 I know there are few books that we can probably use to prepare such as 'Interviews for Medical School' by 'ISC Medical'.

I want to hear from you!😀 How are you preparing (or prepared) for interviews? Did you use a book? If yes, then what book? If no, then what? (if you don't mind😊)

Thanks in advance!
    In preparation, I would think about why you want to do medicine and what the qualities of a good doctor are. Lots of medical schools still ask these 'traditional' questions, but often in a roundabout way, such as "do you think that robots could replace doctors in the future?".

Also keep up to date on current news around medicine, I was asked about the working time directive in one of my interviews and whether I thought it was a good or bad thing. You can also think about ethical scenarios and how different people might react to them.

If you live near a medical university they might hold practice interview days/afternoons, so it might be worth looking at them, especially if you come from a widening participation background. Your school may also be able to help you organise something, either internally or externally.
    • PS Reviewer

(Original post by asdfge)
    Hi ALL!!

Thanks in advance!
    The key to interviews is to be calm. The examiners are there to make sure you are a genuine applicant who could cope in a medical setting. You are not there to be tricked or set up for failure. Confidence and general demeanour can make a big difference; the old adage of first impressions count certainly stands true. Answer with honesty and simplicity.

The best preparation certainly includes knowing your personal statement inside out and having an idea of what interview you are about to attend. Different universities have different set-ups so be prepared. Try to predict what questions they may ask you based on your PS and current affairs. Always have a prepared answer for 'why medicine,' 'why a doctor instead of a ...,' 'why this university.' I walked out of my interview at Liverpool many years ago basically knowing I had an offer after talking about the history of the university; something I had read up on Wikipedia for 10 minutes the day before. It is the small things that can really make a big difference on a personal level.

To get better at answering with confidence and without hesitation, get a doctor or medical student to practice with you. Get people to ask you questions based on your PS. If you are struggling, read your own PS and make questions based on that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.