Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When we have a terrorist attack there is a spark on social media and people like me and you, create hashtags such as #prayfor(country/city). Do you believe this helps the terrorists achieve their goals by making the situation seem bigger and scarier? The terrorists want us to know this happened so we feel fearful for our lives or the lives of our loved ones. I understand the hashtags raise awareness and show support for the families but in doing so, those hashtags increase fear and make the terrorists more well-known to us. Please discuss your opinions below - thank you!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I would say that the main issue of these hashtags aren't that they amplify the issue by making it seem 'scarier', It's that they provide no real substance or input towards the situation itself. Simply tweeting '#PrayForX' won't solve the enigmatic issue of Terrorism, it's an entirely vacuous statement used by people who have no idea how to do anything about it. Practically, the 'PrayForX' Hashtag does absolutely nothing to help the situation. Not a damn thing. That's my main quarrel with the phrase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny Large)
    I would say that the main issue of these hashtags aren't that they amplify the issue by making it seem 'scarier', It's that they provide no real substance or input towards the situation itself. Simply tweeting '#PrayForX' won't solve the enigmatic issue of Terrorism, it's an entirely vacuous statement used by people who have no idea how to do anything about it. Practically, the 'PrayForX' Hashtag does absolutely nothing to help the situation. Not a damn thing. That's my main quarrel with the phrase.
    Couldn't have put it better myself.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.