Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help me solve this tricky momentum question in my physics test? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I had a physics test today on momentum circular motion and electric fields and capacitance and one of the questions was as follows

An alpha particle is emitted from a polonium nucleus at a speed of 8 × 10^7. The masses of the alpha particle and nucleus are 4.002 and 212 respectively. Calculate the recoil velocity of the nucleus.

Can someone solve it and tell me the answer?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolatmylifeee)
    So I had a physics test today on momentum circular motion and electric fields and capacitance and one of the questions was as follows

An alpha particle is emitted from a polonium nucleus at a speed of 8 × 10^7. The masses of the alpha particle and nucleus are 4.002 and 212 respectively. Calculate the recoil velocity of the nucleus.

Can someone solve it and tell me the answer?
    Would it help you if I told you the particle and the nucleus were both at rest to begin with?

ReputationRep:
    There's Zero Momentum before so there must be zero after so 0= m1v1 +m2v2 so sub in the mass and velocity values And you can get the recoil velocity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protostar)
    Would it help you if I told you the particle and the nucleus were both at rest to begin with?

The question was exactly how I typed it can u tell me the final answer so I can cross check with what I wrote? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4cc4n4)
    There's Zero Momentum before so there must be zero after so 0= m1v1 +m2v2 so sub in the mass and velocity values And you can get the recoil velocity
    Can u solve and tell me what answer u got I want to cross check with what I had written as the answer thank you
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The question was exactly how I typed it can u tell me the final answer so I can cross check with what I wrote? Thanks
    Show us your working so far - just posting answers isn’t really the policy around here, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protostar)
    Show us your working so far - just posting answers isn’t really the policy around here, sorry!

The value for speed I gave in the orginal question is not exact bc I can't remember the exact value but it was something similar. Anyway what I did was :

Recoil velocity of Nucleus = (4.002 × (8×10^7)) divided by (4.002+212)
    So according to the values I used on TSR and in the above eqn I'm getting 1482208ms-1 as the recoil velocity
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The value for speed I gave in the orginal question is not exact bc I can't remember the exact value but it was something similar. Anyway what I did was :

Recoil velocity of Nucleus = (4.002 × (8×10^7)) divided by (4.002+212)
    So according to the values I used on TSR and in the above eqn I'm getting 1482208ms-1 as the recoil velocity
    I’m not sure your m2 is correct. It seems to me as though the mass of the nucleus includes the mass of the particle, i.e. that is the mass of the nucleus before the particle is emitted. Therefore your m2 would be (4.002 - 212)?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.