Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    That's a very juicy analogy, I like it. I'm quite impressed that you know about Terre'Blanche and the AWB.

I hope that doesn't sound patronising... obviously you are very intelligent and well-read, I like that your knowledge of world historical matters goes beyond simply the Middle East.

It's not unusual to meet people who are reasonably well informed about a particular subject (although your knowledge on Israel/Palestine issues goes beyond simply well-informed... despite our differences in political orientation on this subject), but it's much rarer to meet someone who has a good grasp of political history across numerous fields.
    Meh, don't worry about being patronising, it's fine. To explain a bit, I'm a history postgrad student who focuses on ethnic nationalism and ethnic conflict, so yeah, I've picked up a decent basic knowledge of most major such 20th Century conflicts. My personal main area is the Yugoslav Wars, though Israel-Palestine's probably the area I'm most interested in after that. Also, occasionally it plays in, as I find the comparison between the post-1980 Serbian nationalist self-perception (i.e. how it leads them to interpret their history, place in the world, etc) and the Israeli Jewish one a really interesting and useful one to make.

On the South African question, have you read the biography of Joe Slovo? He was (I have a feeling you probably already know all this so this might be superfluous) the General-Secretary of the South African Communist Party during the second half of the 1980s, when they worked closely with the ANC.

Under Slovo's leadership they carried out some really big attacks against the SA state apparatus, including (iirc) a huge car bomb that blew up outside the HQ of the South African Air Force. Slovo was a Polish Jew whose family came to SA in the 1930s, after the end of apartheid he spent a couple of years as a minister in the ANC SA government.

Went off on a bit of a tangent there, just thought I'd say I find 1980s and early 1990s SA history to be fascinating. The period in the early 1990s when it was clear the National Party would end apartheid but before that actually occurred, and you saw the emergence of all these weird groups like the AWB, and indeed Chief Buthulezi's actions at this time (I wonder if he was basically a tool of South African intelligence), makes for very interesting reading.
    I haven't, thought it will go on my ever-lengthening reading list Personally what's often irritated me about SA history is how few books there are for the lay reader on the history of apartheid itself. There's plenty on Mandela and the peace process, and there are general histories of SA, but I've struggled to find a decent book specifically focusing on apartheid specifically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    I think Blumenthal is a first-class **** head
    Meh, I'm mixed about him. I think he says some quite interesting things, but he wrecks it a bit with that *****y tabloid journalist style, where he sees things as a scoop rather than a topic for political analysis. Plus he's become a full-on neo-tankie with all his recent unquestioning Putin and Assad apologetics, which has been pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    Do you all know how the State of Israel was formed? It was created in 1948, after WW2, and the Israelis ethnically cleansed Palestinians from their home.

Tell me again how Israel isn't an evil country, but this post is anti-Semitic and denying the Holocaust.

You simply need to look at the history of Israel to see for yourself what kind of country it is.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.