Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have sent off my UCAS application for natural sciences. However I have kind of decided that I now want to do chemical enigneering a week after sending off my UCAS. Will universities still accept me when my personal statement is about a different course? Plus I've already got offers for NatSci, if I phone them would they consider changing the course??

ReputationRep:
    You will only get offers for the course you applied for via UCAS.

If you now wish to change the course you would have to phone them and explain why you wish to change and talk to the chem engineering dept about trying for a place with them.

Are you definitely sure you want to swop course? If it’s only been a week since you sent your UCAS app off, how come you have changed your mind so quickly? And maybe if you were offered chem engineering places would you stick to this?

Have a good think and give yourself time to weigh up all the pros and cons of changing courses before you start to change anything. I would also give UCAS a call and talk it over with trained advisors.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serenh17)
    I have sent off my UCAS application for natural sciences. However I have kind of decided that I now want to do chemical enigneering a week after sending off my UCAS. Will universities still accept me when my personal statement is about a different course? Plus I've already got offers for NatSci, if I phone them would they consider changing the course??
    I don't know. Generally for engineering they don't pay much attention to the PS, preferring to focus on the grades; however, I am not sure how true that holds when the PS is for a different subject. But if you'd rather do engineering than natural science then it's worth asking the universities you have applied to to see if you can change the course you are applying for. If they unfortunately can't, and you can't get an offer for an engineering course utilising a natural sciences PS, then there is always clearing, or taking a gap year and reapplying. Don't take the wrong course for you just because your UCAS application has been set in motion.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the university, quite a few of the universities which offer Natural Sciences are ones which could actually care about PS, and as you've applied quite early I'm going to guess that your choices tended towards these.

Additionally some NatSci programs offer Chemical Engineering pathways, or you could do a master's in Chemical Engineering which while not as ideal as doing it from undergrad, is still a plausible route.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.