Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Afraid of failing uni/having to change the course Watch

ReputationRep:
    I finished school tgis year with a perfect score and am currently taking off a gap year to earn some money and to do internships in the field of computer science.
    Now here's the problem: I decided to do CS about a year ago when my bf told me about his plans to do it. Before that I was planning on doing maths (I think). Over time I also decided to do CS because the job prospects seemed very good and I enjoyed coding.
    As I'm getting close to sending my application, I'm increasingly afraid of choosing the wrong subject. I'm doing an internship at a software company soon and I'm very afraid that I'll end up hating it, when my application has already been sent.I was sure of this for almost a year and now I keep doubting myself. I'm also afraid I'll simply fail the course and then I won't know what else to do, also I'm already 19, if I realize that I actually hate the course I will be 22 by the time I could start a new course. Does anyone have any advice for me? Is changing courses easy in Scotland? What if I change to a completely different course? Do you guys have any personal experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cappa2)
    I finished school tgis year with a perfect score and am currently taking off a gap year to earn some money and to do internships in the field of computer science.
    Now here's the problem: I decided to do CS about a year ago when my bf told me about his plans to do it. Before that I was planning on doing maths (I think). Over time I also decided to do CS because the job prospects seemed very good and I enjoyed coding.
    As I'm getting close to sending my application, I'm increasingly afraid of choosing the wrong subject. I'm doing an internship at a software company soon and I'm very afraid that I'll end up hating it, when my application has already been sent.I was sure of this for almost a year and now I keep doubting myself. I'm also afraid I'll simply fail the course and then I won't know what else to do, also I'm already 19, if I realize that I actually hate the course I will be 22 by the time I could start a new course. Does anyone have any advice for me? Is changing courses easy in Scotland? What if I change to a completely different course? Do you guys have any personal experience?
    sending the application doesn't mean ur forced to complete the course, u can decline offers;not turn up to enrol etc.
    ur in a good spot - u get to see if CS if for you without the fees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angrypoliceman)
    sending the application doesn't mean ur forced to complete the course, u can decline offers;not turn up to enrol etc.
    ur in a good spot - u get to see if CS if for you without the fees
    But I don't know what to do if I realize that I don't want to do this before the course starts. I can't send applications for the same year, I'll have to wait yet another year and I feel as if I'm already just wasting time by taking off this year.

ReputationRep:
    When exactly is your work experience? If it's this side of Christmas, then just hold off from sending your UCAS application until after your work experience. You've got until mid January for UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cappa2)
    But I don't know what to do if I realize that I don't want to do this before the course starts. I can't send applications for the same year, I'll have to wait yet another year and I feel as if I'm already just wasting time by taking off this year.
    well then don't think of it like youre wasting a year then, cause as long as youre doing something productive you're not wasting anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angrypoliceman)
    well then don't think of it like youre wasting a year then, cause as long as youre doing something productive you're not wasting anything
    It's just that I want a secured life and to be able to stop worrying about all that so basically every minute that I don't spend achieving this goal is wasted

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.