Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I use my NatSci personal statement for Chemical Engineering? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have sent off my UCAS application for natural sciences. However I have kind of decided that I now want to do chemical enigneering a week after sending off my UCAS. Will universities still accept me when my personal statement is about a different course? Plus I've already got offers for NatSci, if I phone them would they consider changing the course??

Also if it helps I talked about global issues such as food security, energy and fresh water use. I focused on catalytic chemistry, indoor vertical farming and hydroelectric power as solutions that interested me.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    They may do so (whether UCAS allows you to is another question) but realistically they have no obligation to do so and may well simply require you reapply the next year if you don't take an offer from your initial application. You may also apply through clearing, at which point you have the option to put in a new personal statement anyway.

Alternately if you've applied to Cambridge NatSci and get an offer, you can move into the CEB tripos after first year of NatSci at the discretion of your director of studies. Applicants who put down CET via NST aren't bound to this, and vice versa; such an applicant may well decide to remain in NST (or change to something else less usually) and those who originally only applied to NST aren't prejudiced if they wish to move into CEB provided they satisfy any relevant entry criteria.

Some of your topics in your PS are relevant to ChemE anyway, and realistically in most STEM subjects PS's are a fairly minor aspect of the application.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.