Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is half term enough time to revise for bmat Watch

ReputationRep:
    im panicking because i've left everything until last minute. I already do a level bio and chem, i did a level physics for around 6 months, but I havent had any practise or gone over the bmat spec. i have the whole f half term but people have been preparing for weeks and i feel so behind

ReputationRep:
    You'll be ok if you start now. After all it's an aptitude test - preparation will help you but only up to a certain point! Make sure you're familiar with everything in the assumed subject knowledge guide and do as many past papers as possible.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to prepare for so yes you can get away with little preparation if you have natural aptitude. But don't rely on that. It's super important. Start revising ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    No point asking now lol just get on with it - most people I know are doing most of their revision now so don't worry

ReputationRep:
    idk but i'm kinda in the same position :///

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xxxibgdrgn12)
    im panicking because i've left everything until last minute. I already do a level bio and chem, i did a level physics for around 6 months, but I havent had any practise or gone over the bmat spec. i have the whole f half term but people have been preparing for weeks and i feel so behind
    which BMAT unis did you apply to? For some it is less important than others so it could be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    which BMAT unis did you apply to? For some it is less important than others so it could be fine
    just oxford. my gcse's aren't too bad, and i come from a bad school where i was in the top 1% so hopefully if i mess up it won't be too bad?

but do i have enough time to get a good score?

ReputationRep:
    just oxford. my gcse's aren't too bad, and i come from a bad school where i was in the top 1% so hopefully if i mess up it won't be too bad?

but do i have enough time to get a good score?
    Do you have enough time to do as well as you can do? Probably if you start intense prep now. Does that mean that you WILL get a good score? No - loads of people spend weeks/months practising and get terrible scores.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StationToStation)
    Do you have enough time to do as well as you can do? Probably if you start intense prep now. Does that mean that you WILL get a good score? No - loads of people spend weeks/months practising and get terrible scores.
    intense= 6 hours a day?

ReputationRep:
    intense= 6 hours a day?
    If I were you I'd aim to go through 1-2 past papers a day (making sure you understand the mistakes you've made afterwards) plus revise the science stuff.

ReputationRep:
    It's probably pretty late, yes, however I'm in the same position with the MAT, I feel no where near ready enough and the stress is driving me crazy!
    I wish you the best of luck
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

We have plenty of resources to help you in your BMAT preparation:

- 6 Last Minute BMAT Revision Tips
    - 5 BMAT Section 2 Tricks
    - 4 BMAT Section 3 Tips

Hope this helps!
    The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I'd aim to go through 1-2 past papers a day (making sure you understand the mistakes you've made afterwards) plus revise the science stuff.
    thank you. how much do you think it is possible to improve by (on average) in a week

ReputationRep:
    thank you. how much do you think it is possible to improve by (on average) in a week
    I don't know. Personally I improved quite little during practice and I think that the majority of my improvement was due to getting more confident with the science and getting more used to reading stuff in English. You could be different.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. Personally I improved very little during practice and I think that the majority of my improvement was due to getting more confident with the science and getting more used to reading stuff in English. You could be different.
    did you find that your scores on the past papers reflected what you got irl?

ReputationRep:
    did you find that your scores on the past papers reflected what you got irl?
    I usually got many points over the cutoff for 9 in S1 and about enough to get 9 in S2 and I ended up getting 8.1 and 8.8. I also usually finished S1 after about 50 minutes but in the real thing I had to guess about 5 questions. It depends quite a lot on your reaction to stress I suppose!

ReputationRep:
    I usually got many points over the cutoff for 9 in S1 and about enough to get 9 in S2 and I ended up getting 8.1 and 8.8. I also usually finished S1 after about 50 minutes but in the real thing I had to guess about 5 questions. It depends quite a lot on your reaction to stress I suppose!
    wow thats such an amazing score im shook. were the questions on s1 harder the year you did them?

ReputationRep:
    wow thats such an amazing score im shook. were the questions on s1 harder the year you did them?
    I did my test last year, you can look at the past paper and judge for yourself! I felt like they were but that was probably just my brain not working properly because of the pressure.

ReputationRep:
    Amazing!! The highest score I've ever seen 😍
    Do you have any tips for the BMAT?

ReputationRep:
    I did my test last year, you can look at the past paper and judge for yourself! I felt like they were but that was probably just my brain not working properly because of the pressure.
    o.o i did hear a lot of people mention that they found section 1 harder last year.

thank you for your help, i've done 4 papers in the past two days and i'm scoring low 6s, so hopefully i'll be able to keep that up.

btw, in some of last years med school application threads, did people comment on your name because it sounds like a reference to MMI interview? because you're name does ring a bell lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.