Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will this level 3 Diploma alone get me into some universities? 'please help!' Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i'm currently stressed and confused as i'm unable to find out if I can study in university without the foundation year.

I'm currently doing a 'Level 3 C&G Diploma in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles' there is no distinction as it is only a Pass. I have had a change of careers and would like to do infomation business probably at either UWE/Nottingham Trent or Brunel.

what I can't find out is how many exams will be taken. On numerous UCAS sites the highest grade and only grade available is "48" points which is a pass. I would like to know if that counts for the whole course
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remiv12)
    Hello, i'm currently stressed and confused as i'm unable to find out if I can study in university without the foundation year.

I'm currently doing a 'Level 3 C&G Diploma in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles' there is no distinction as it is only a Pass. I have had a change of careers and would like to do infomation business probably at either UWE/Nottingham Trent or Brunel.

what I can't find out is how many exams will be taken. On numerous UCAS sites the highest grade and only grade available is "48" points which is a pass. I would like to know if that counts for the whole course
    Is it a city and guilds diploma? I think k it's unlikely you d get onto 1st year with a non relevant diploma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Is it a city and guilds diploma? I think k it's unlikely you d get onto 1st year with a non relevant diploma
    Yes it is a city and guild, does that mean multiple exams will be taken e.g three? also Diagnostics is studied in level 3 can't that be seen as technology or IT as my program outline says for level 3 "This is a diagnostic course covering engines, transmission and electronic systems."

thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is a city and guild, does that mean multiple exams will be taken e.g three? also Diagnostics is studied in level 3 can't that be seen as technology or IT as my program outline says for level 3 "This is a diagnostic course covering engines, transmission and electronic systems."

thanks
    I ve checked and 48 points seems correct considering the amount of learning hours so the course is basically equivalent to one a level so you ll have to do either a foundation year or perhaps an access course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I ve checked and 48 points seems correct considering the amount of learning hours so the course is basically equivalent to one a level so you ll have to do either a foundation year or perhaps an access course.
    Hello, Brunel are requesting - Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma DD in engineering or IT and an A level at grade B. Does my light vehicle maintenance and repair fall under engineering? Thanks for the help so far
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Hello, Brunel are requesting - Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma DD in engineering or IT and an A level at grade B. Does my light vehicle maintenance and repair fall under engineering? Thanks for the help so far
    No it won't, your course will only count for one a level equivalent. Unless you can find a university that will lessen their requirements if you're a mature student then you will need to do a foundation year if not another level 3 course.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.