Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Madz Journey to A*A*A*A*A 2017/2018 Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicbeans1212)
    "advice from nerdy people" lol you're a nerd doing 5 subjects predicted A/A*
    You will be surprised but I actually played nationals badminton till last year and am playing county cricket and basketball atm so wouldn't really say I am a nerd. I just work hard and try not to waste time i.e. working when I am meant to be working and playing/relaxing when its time for me to play/relax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y.u.mad.bro?)
    You will be surprised but I actually played nationals badminton till last year and am playing county cricket and basketball atm so wouldn't really say I am a nerd. I just work hard and try not to waste time i.e. working when I am meant to be working and playing/relaxing when its time for me to play/relax.
    I'd love to say I'm a nerd tbh but I lack intelligence unfortunately and I waste a lot of time too
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    lol good luck getting those grades, I can guarantee you will burn yourself out doing 5 A levels. Unless you are a nerd
    I can barely survive with 3 in here.
    Not really, I can guarantee you that I am actually enjoying myself and won't burn myself because I don't really worry too much about studies and try enjoy everything I do. That being said, physics is a bit hard because my teachers can't explain stuff but I can deal with it. chemistry and maths are easy for me to understand and bio is pure content so I just have to sit down for 1 hour every 2 days and learn the stuff.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    #2 17th November, 2017

Life Update (not important xD)
    Lets talk about what I have done over since the last update. I know I haven't been updating constantly and I am sorry:angelblush::angelblush: I will try and be more active.
    Well, I haven't been feeling okay for the past week or so. Since half term, there has been so much pressure to finish compiling notes and learning and revising the stuff we have done that it just seems like I will never catch up especially in Physics. Still have no idea why I am doing it but I am going with my gut feeling and will continue to do it and work hard. The pace of work in almost all subjects has pretty much tripled and the workload is slowly getting bigger as Christmas approaches. Guess that is a sign that I should get myself together and get prepped for A2 because this will be a long ride:albertein:Ah well, my options have been made and I shall stick with them.
    I finally achieved a mileage of 40 miles this week. Felt so good. My dad was quite impressed a well, didn't believe me until I showed him my strava stats However, it pains me to say that I think I will stop running long distance now and just do small 2k runs in the morning. Making up at 4:30am isn't easy especially when you do work till 11pm and I guess I need to start resting more and somehow get more sleep.

Now, onto the fun stuff :awesome:

Subject Updates
    Maths we went through a tons of content. In 2 weeks, somehow managed to finish content from old C3-spec and move onto C4. Integrating and differentiation of logs, exponentials and then went through volume of revolution which to my surprise has been moved to Further Maths. We also went through compound angle formulae, double angle formulae, half angle:dots:You get the idea. Learnt how to derive them which wasn't as hard as I imagined and finally went through reciprocal trig functions. Oh wait, there's more :daydreaming::drool: Went through rates of change just to recap some old stuff we did and finally managed to finish Functions. So now, it's my job to start doing questions and getting myself to exam-standards so I can do any question given to me (won't be happening soon but I can try right?:closedeyes:)

Chemistry has been a bit of a roller coaster. I am probably enjoying it the most because I find it fun to study and learn all the new stuff which makes more sense than it did at GCSE. So we went through Module 3 and finished it. Enthalpy, Reaction Rates and Equilibrium is done and now we are going to move onto Core Organic Chemistry which I am dreading but can't wait at the same time. I guess for me chemistry is just about understanding and applying the concept which I find easier than other subjects.
    Our teacher has also started preparing us for the Chemistry Olympiad which I have no idea what it is but I will have a look at and find out what it is. The questions seemed fun although they were challenging so I guess a lot of work needs to be done. I am also hopeful of participating in the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge and being successful in it although I think I will worry about it at a later date.

Physics hasn't been my best subject since I seemingly do all the work on my own and the teachers think I don't need any help. I asked my teacher for help alone and she appeared quite angry and said she will help me at a later date :erm: which made me realise that I will get the grade on my own effort and I can't trust her to teach me. We are currently doing Mechanics and the plan is to finish it in class asap so I will need to work extremely hard as well as learn all of the waves and optics topic on my own since I don't get a word they teach in lessons.

Biology has been similar to Chemistry. I am doing good in it and understand it easily. I just have to learn the content and connect dots to link different things to each other so I can answer the harder questions which test your breadth of knowledge. We have done a proper assessment and I managed to get 78% on it which doesn't seem too good considering in Microscopy and Cells I managed to get 89% and lost majority of my marks on Cell Membranes.

Other Stuff
    I am looking hard to find a work placement for Medicine as well as volunteering at a local hospital. I have applied for volunteering role and hopefully they respond soon because I want to start before Christmas ideally and gain some experience before it is too late. For work experience, I contacted almost 70 different consultants across London Berkshire and Hertfordshire and am yet to find one. Some have declined to offer it while others haven't replied back. One consultant from UCL replied and would like my CV along with a covering letter from my school and they will decide by the end of February which I fear might be slightly late although I will give it a go and see what happens.

This is all I have gone through over the past 2 weeks. Until next update, tata :happy2::hat2:

The lovely people who are supporting me through this difficult time

(Original post by SK???)
    x
    (Original post by mez_merising)
    x
    (Original post by K1NGZ)
    x
    (Original post by mosam00)
    x
    (Original post by gw07mcgheerachel)
    x
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)
    x
    (Original post by Tate00)
    x
    (Original post by SoliloQuy)
    x
    (Original post by amaraub)
    x
    (Original post by clouddbubbles)
    x
    (Original post by HistoryWhiz6)
    x
    (Original post by AryanGh)
    x
    (Original post by swagmeister_)
    x

ReputationRep:
    Keep going I should really revise now ffs
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amaraub)
    Keep going I should really revise now ffs
    You should xD I'm trying not to leave my work till it's too late

ReputationRep:
    You should xD I'm trying not to leave my work till it's too late
    Yeah i'm just getting lazy I guess :P fridays are longgg

ReputationRep:
    #2 17th November, 2017

Lets talk about what I have done over since the last update. I know I haven't been updating constantly and I am sorry:angelblush::angelblush: I will try and be more active.
    Well, I haven't been feeling okay for the past week or so. Since half term, there has been so much pressure to finish compiling notes and learning and revising the stuff we have done that it just seems like I will never catch up especially in Physics. Still have no idea why I am doing it but I am going with my gut feeling and will continue to do it and work hard. The pace of work in almost all subjects has pretty much tripled and the workload is slowly getting bigger as Christmas approaches. Guess that is a sign that I should get myself together and get prepped for A2 because this will be a long ride:albertein:Ah well, my options have been made and I shall stick with them.
    I finally achieved a mileage of 40 miles this week. Felt so good. My dad was quite impressed a well, didn't believe me until I showed him my strava stats However, it pains me to say that I think I will stop running long distance now and just do small 2k runs in the morning. Making up at 4:30am isn't easy especially when you do work till 11pm and I guess I need to start resting more and somehow get more sleep.

Subject Updates
    Maths we went through a tons of content. In 2 weeks, somehow managed to finish content from old C3-spec and move onto C4. Integrating and differentiation of logs, exponentials and then went through volume of revolution which to my surprise has been moved to Further Maths. We also went through compound angle formulae, double angle formulae, half angle:dots:You get the idea. Learnt how to derive them which wasn't as hard as I imagined and finally went through reciprocal trig functions. Oh wait, there's more :daydreaming::drool: Went through rates of change just to recap some old stuff we did and finally managed to finish Functions. So now, it's my job to start doing questions and getting myself to exam-standards so I can do any question given to me (won't be happening soon but I can try right?:closedeyes:)

Chemistry has been a bit of a roller coaster. I am probably enjoying it the most because I find it fun to study and learn all the new stuff which makes more sense than it did at GCSE. So we went through Module 3 and finished it. Enthalpy, Reaction Rates and Equilibrium is done and now we are going to move onto Core Organic Chemistry which I am dreading but can't wait at the same time. I guess for me chemistry is just about understanding and applying the concept which I find easier than other subjects.
    Our teacher has also started preparing us for the Chemistry Olympiad which I have no idea what it is but I will have a look at and find out what it is. The questions seemed fun although they were challenging so I guess a lot of work needs to be done. I am also hopeful of participating in the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge and being successful in it although I think I will worry about it at a later date.

Physics hasn't been my best subject since I seemingly do all the work on my own and the teachers think I don't need any help. I asked my teacher for help alone and she appeared quite angry and said she will help me at a later date :erm: which made me realise that I will get the grade on my own effort and I can't trust her to teach me. We are currently doing Mechanics and the plan is to finish it in class asap so I will need to work extremely hard as well as learn all of the waves and optics topic on my own since I don't get a word they teach in lessons.

Biology has been similar to Chemistry. I am doing good in it and understand it easily. I just have to learn the content and connect dots to link different things to each other so I can answer the harder questions which test your breadth of knowledge. We have done a proper assessment and I managed to get 78% on it which doesn't seem too good considering in Microscopy and Cells I managed to get 89% and lost majority of my marks on Cell Membranes.

Other Stuff
    I am looking hard to find a work placement for Medicine as well as volunteering at a local hospital. I have applied for volunteering role and hopefully they respond soon because I want to start before Christmas ideally and gain some experience before it is too late. For work experience, I contacted almost 70 different consultants across London Berkshire and Hertfordshire and am yet to find one. Some have declined to offer it while others haven't replied back. One consultant from UCL replied and would like my CV along with a covering letter from my school and they will decide by the end of February which I fear might be slightly late although I will give it a go and see what happens.

This is all I have gone through over the past 2 weeks. Until next update, tata :happy2::hat2:

Would you be able to pm me about how to write a cover letter and and a cv ? Do I need to write a cv if I’m wanting to do some work experience at the hospital ?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK???)
    Would you be able to pm me about how to write a cover letter and and a cv ? Do I need to write a cv if I’m wanting to do some work experience at the hospital ?
    It really depends. I just wrote an email and sent it to almost every email address I could find on the directory. They will then let you know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    #2 17th November, 2017

Subject Updates

Other Stuff

FFS only a nerd would complain about getting above 60% in a assessment topic which they just started, I have been getting ****ing 7% on these end of topic tests.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    FFS only a nerd would complain about getting above 60% in a assessment topic which they just started, I have been getting ****ing 7% on these end of topic tests.
    I have to get high grades from now because our school averages our total test scores and base the predicated grade off them which is sent to UCAS so if I perform low now, I might as well flush my chances of going to Oxbridge because it won't happen with low predictions.

ReputationRep:
    I have to get high grades from now because our school averages our total test scores and base the predicated grade off them which is sent to UCAS so if I perform low now, I might as well flush my chances of going to Oxbridge because it won't happen with low predictions.
    Do you have to go to Oxbridge so badly? What about other medical schools?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to go to Oxbridge so badly? What about other medical schools?
    Oxbridge is a priority. Don't really mind other schools.

Submit reply
Updated: November 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.