Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I was born in China and raised in the Uk ask me anything Watch

ReputationRep:
    How did you move here?

ReputationRep:
    do u like sweet and sour noodles.?

(Original post by Sharon_rutendo)
    Darling I will never trade my culture for another culture hell to the nope... well i like the free education system but the weather is crap
    I like how my parents makes us keep parts of our culture, they aren’t traditional Chinese well at east I don’t see them as traditional.

I still celebrate the Chinese New Year, mid autum festival and some other occasions

I think instead of trading adapting or taking in some of the British culture is nice too

(Original post by djdanny22)
    How did you move here?
    On a plane? What do you mean?

(Original post by soIiIoquy)
    do u like sweet and sour noodles.?
    Is that a thing? I’ve heard of sweet and sour pork or chicken. I don’t think I would like it it sounds so soggy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous)
    is that a thing? I’ve heard of sweet and sour pork or chicken. I don’t think i would like it it sounds so soggy
    everyone knows sweet and sour noodles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Do you like white girls?
    Did you just assume her gender?????

(Original post by soIiIoquy)
    everyone knows sweet and sour noodles.
    I guess I don’t I mainly only eat what my parents make and go dim sum places. My dad doesn’t really make noodles other than udon, chow mien and hor fun. But maybe I’ll try it

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Not that good even though I went to Chinese school on Sunday’s and took the exam at gcse and got an A*. I’m able to listen/understand basic conversation and maybe a little bit more in mandarin. Can barely speak it and when I do it’s bad pronounciation I have the foreigners speaking Chinese accent like the ones you see on Chinese dramas so f*cking bad hahah

Can read books/novels in simplified. Traditional is way to hard T_T

I can also type in pinyin, I’m actually really good at this.

Writing is not that good just the basics.

My Cantonese is pretty good, I can hold everyday conversations since my parents speak it to us and TVB HK dramas. A lot of stephen chow movies.
    Learn more Chinese. It only benefits you in the future. Don't be a banana.

Learn more Chinese. It only benefits you in the future. Don't be a banana.
    I’m trying, I’m talking to people in Chinese more and learning through Chinese tv shows and dramas. Not watching with English subtitles anymore haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoyfan)
    This is something that happens to many who were born in a different country but were raised in the UK.

I was born in Romania but raised in the UK and.... I am pretty rubbish at speaking Romanian.
    Ce faci?

ReputationRep:
    True well since I have a British passport I'm now a British nationality
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heyok)
    Ce faci?
    Bine.

Lol, that is pretty much the extent of my Romanian Vocabulary.

(Original post by Sharon_rutendo)
    True well since I have a British passport I'm now a British nationality
    Me too

ReputationRep:
    Why do Chinese people love taking pictures? When I was in China, I'd always get asked to take a picture with them. It happened in the UK also.

(Original post by GreenBell)
    Why do Chinese people love taking pictures? When I was in China, I'd always get asked to take a picture with them. It happened in the UK also.
    I wish I knew too but I think it’s mainly to share to their friends and family. My cousin takes photos of everything literally. She would stand and pose i front of buildings or statues and/or ask me totake a picture of her pretending to not notice. She love staking pictures of food too. She then posts it on wechat (they say it’s a chinese Facebook)

ReputationRep:
    I wish I knew too but I think it’s mainly to share to their friends and family. My cousin takes photos of everything literally. She would stand and pose i front of buildings or statues and/or ask me totake a picture of her pretending to not notice. She love staking pictures of food too. She then posts it on wechat (they say it’s a chinese Facebook)
    Lool that's really interesting. I had wechat before as well but didn't know how to use it and only had a few friends so I just deleted it

I was born in South Africa, moved to England for 11 years now I’ve been back in SA for 6!

ReputationRep:
    I was born in South Africa, moved when I was 6months to England, lived there for 11 years then came back to SA 👀👀

(Original post by GreenBell)
    Lool that's really interesting. I had wechat before as well but didn't know how to use it and only had a few friends so I just deleted it
    I don’t have any friends on it just family, I only keep it to communicate with them and it’s actually quite easy to use. Was your app in English?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.