Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I was born in China and raised in the Uk ask me anything Watch

(Original post by yasminghadamian)
    I was born in South Africa, moved when I was 6months to England, lived there for 11 years then came back to SA 👀👀
    Do you like England more or SA?

ReputationRep:
    SA, I’ve grown up here so I remember it more if that makes sense? I left the uk when I was 12 so I don’t really remember a lot of it but I’m moving back for uni in January!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Did you get caned?

How is your grammar?

ReputationRep:
    Never, why would I?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Learn more Chinese. It only benefits you in the future. Don't be a banana.
    It's not that easy, I moved to the UK when I was 2 and was brought up learning how to speak and write in English. I spoke Mandarin at home and read a few books but eventually I stopped (the local library had limited books in mandarin and they were all rather complex at the time). Now I can only communicate verbally in Mandarin, but not fluently, and read and write the basics. I definitely cannot read a book in Mandarin though. I don't really have much time to learn it properly now, especially as I'm applying to medicine this year (stressful af) and practicing for my piano diploma at the end of this year. I might try to take up a language module in uni if they offer it though.

(Original post by yasminghadamian)
    SA, I’ve grown up here so I remember it more if that makes sense? I left the uk when I was 12 so I don’t really remember a lot of it but I’m moving back for uni in January!
    Prepare for crap weather haha, it’s so windy here rn

Did you get caned?
    I got all sorts, mainly the backhand. Not anymore though just get yelled at all the time lol

In what?
    How is your grammar?

(Original post by khookie)
    It's not that easy, I moved to the UK when I was 2 and was brought up learning how to speak and write in English. I spoke Mandarin at home and read a few books but eventually I stopped (the local library had limited books in mandarin and they were all rather complex at the time). Now I can only communicate verbally in Mandarin, but not fluently, and read and write the basics. I definitely cannot read a book in Mandarin though. I don't really have much time to learn it properly now, especially as I'm applying to medicine this year (stressful af) and practicing for my piano diploma at the end of this year. I might try to take up a language module in uni if they offer it though.
    It’s defintely not easy to read books like omg so many new words and idioms and new slang but from reading books I’ve kind of learnt more. At least you can communicate in mandarin I always have to think about what the other person is saying and think of how to reply. I too dont have time to learn it anymore since I’m applying for nursing but I haven’t got any work experience so I’m practically a bit f*cked. Good luck for applying to do medicine!

ReputationRep:
    Not that good even though I went to Chinese school on Sunday’s and took the exam at gcse and got an A*. I’m able to listen/understand basic conversation and maybe a little bit more in mandarin. Can barely speak it and when I do it’s bad pronounciation I have the foreigners speaking Chinese accent like the ones you see on Chinese dramas so f*cking bad hahah

Can read books/novels in simplified. Traditional is way to hard T_T

I can also type in pinyin, I’m actually really good at this.

Writing is not that good just the basics.

My Cantonese is pretty good, I can hold everyday conversations since my parents speak it to us and TVB HK dramas. A lot of stephen chow movies.
    If you are interested in improving further, you should check out Mandarin Blueprint on facebook. They're excellent.

ReputationRep:
    It’s defintely not easy to read books like omg so many new words and idioms and new slang but from reading books I’ve kind of learnt more. At least you can communicate in mandarin I always have to think about what the other person is saying and think of how to reply. I too dont have time to learn it anymore since I’m applying for nursing but I haven’t got any work experience so I’m practically a bit f*cked. Good luck for applying to do medicine!
    I'm the same tbh, I usually understand what they're saying right away but I have to take a bit of time to think of what I say. My family in China always tell me I have a weird accent when I speak aha. And that's cool, are you applying this year?

ReputationRep:
    I don’t have any friends on it just family, I only keep it to communicate with them and it’s actually quite easy to use. Was your app in English?
    No it wasn't English haha. I just couldn't be bothered using it.

(Original post by invisibleswords)
    If you are interested in improving further, you should check out Mandarin Blueprint on facebook. They're excellent.
    I shall check that out, thank you

(Original post by khookie)
    I'm the same tbh, I usually understand what they're saying right away but I have to take a bit of time to think of what I say. My family in China always tell me I have a weird accent when I speak aha. And that's cool, are you applying this year?
    Omg same I had a chinese friend who I met not long ago and he told me I sound exacatly like someone who doesn’t speak Chinese haha (I have bad pronouciation)

I’m applying this year for next year so now for September 2018. Wby?

(Original post by GreenBell)
    No it wasn't English haha. I just couldn't be bothered using it.
    It’s boring anyways unless you have loads of friends which I don’t have T_T haha and plus I mainly use Snapchat and Facebook messenger anyways

don't you think Chinese boys are so good looking? Damnn they are fine indeed

ReputationRep:
    Why would anyone be curious about that?

ReputationRep:
    yay, ethnically Chinese people who can't speak Chinese! (like myself)
    I can give the impression that I can speak Chinese, by taking just a little bit longer than usual to text in that language

ReputationRep:
    Omg same I had a chinese friend who I met not long ago and he told me I sound exacatly like someone who doesn’t speak Chinese haha (I have bad pronouciation)

I’m applying this year for next year so now for September 2018. Wby?
    Haha that's so relatable, tbh I sometimes feel like the Chinese people at my sixth form judge me for not being fluent in Chinese And I'm applying this year as well, what universities are you applying to?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.