Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Horror Anime Recommendations (2017 edition) Watch

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    With Halloween just over a week away, I thought I'd share a few of my favourite horror anime series, in case anyone's in the mood for something spooky. :jacko:

This is by no means a full list of all the horror anime out there, so feel free to post your own recommendations.

Shiki

http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/shiki

It just wouldn't feel right starting the list off without a vampire series. :fangs: There are a lot of them out there, but Shiki is by far my favourite. It has a fantastically creepy setting in an isolated village, a large cast of interesting characters who each react to the epidemic in different ways, and things escalate quickly as the series progresses. It also has some crazy character designs. :p: This one's quite high on blood and violence though, in case that's not your kind of thing.

Le Portrait de Petit Cossette

http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/le...petit-cossette

A part-timer at an antiques shop notices the image of a young girl reflected in a Venetian glass. As he continues to watch her life play within the glass, becoming more and more obsessed, he learns of her gruesome end at the hands of a man she trusted, and that is now trapped within the glass. Fortunately, he may just be able to help her... but at what cost? The soundtrack for this series is GODLY. :coma: Same blood and guts warning as Shiki, though!

Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror

http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/ay...classic-horror

Something a little different, if you're only used to more Western horror stories. This series is made up of three completely unrelated stories; the first is an adaptation of the classic story Yotsuya Kaidan, while the other two are originals, but borrow heavily from traditional ghost stories and folklore. The last arc was my favourite, mostly for the guy in the screenshot - if you end up liking him too, he was popular enough to get his own series, which I'd also recommend!

Jigoku Shoujo

http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/jigoku-shoujo

Episodic tales of vengeance, featuring a 'Hotline to Hell' that can only be accessed at midnight. Type in the name of a person you want to send straight to hell (do not pass GO etc), and you will be visited by Enma Ai, who will offer to carry out this revenge on your behalf... as long as you're prepared to join them in hell once you die. It can get a bit repetitive, at 90 episodes over four series, but seeing the characters' stories, the reasons behind their hatred (some more extreme than others), and whether they actually go through with it in the end certainly kept me entertained. And there's quite a bit of mystery to Ai and her companions as well, which slowly develops over time.

Gakkou Gurashi!

http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/school-live

Oops, somehow a moe highschool club anime slipped into the thread. How did that get there? Ah well, I'll leave it here since the cute story of the School Living club's four members, their teacher and their dog should serve as a nice refresher after all the scary stuff. :yes:

...okay, I lied.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    And yes, this is another shameless repost of a thread I made last year, but with some minor updates, and without the broken Photobucket images. :ahee:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hey, that is a good idea of yours to introduce horror animes in times of halloween. The only horror anime I have ever watched is Hellsing, if it can be linked with horror anyway. It is bloody, it is creepy, it is perfect for halloween.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Hey, that is a good idea of yours to introduce horror animes in times of halloween. The only horror anime I have ever watched is Hellsing, if it can be linked with horror anyway. It is bloody, it is creepy, it is perfect for halloween.
    Definitely a horror series, vampires are a must-have. I love the colour scheme for Hellsing (both anime adaptations), good uses of black and red.

ReputationRep:
    Nice
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Definitely a horror series, vampires are a must-have. I love the colour scheme for Hellsing (both anime adaptations), good uses of black and red.
    The colors are so awesome and support the horror atmosphere in this anime. It is horror, that is right. But also more than that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.