The Student Room Group

Applying for medicine in gap year

I am in my second year of A levels and have recently decided I want to study medicine at University. I came to this decision too late as the medicine deadline for this year has already passed so I am planning on taking a gap year and applying next year, in my gap year I will do work experience and volunteering.
However I am considering applying for mathematics this year (as deferred entry) so if I fail the UKCAT I have a plan B and do not have to take another gap year. I already have a maths personal statement which I wrote before I decided to do medicine so I feel like I might as well just apply. However I was wondering, if I apply for maths will this look bad when I'm applying for medicine as it may show I am not fully committed to medicine? Also if I apply for medicine next year and don't get any offers does this mean my offer for maths will go because you can only apply once?
Original post by izzy31
I am in my second year of A levels and have recently decided I want to study medicine at University. I came to this decision too late as the medicine deadline for this year has already passed so I am planning on taking a gap year and applying next year, in my gap year I will do work experience and volunteering.
However I am considering applying for mathematics this year (as deferred entry) so if I fail the UKCAT I have a plan B and do not have to take another gap year. I already have a maths personal statement which I wrote before I decided to do medicine so I feel like I might as well just apply. However I was wondering, if I apply for maths will this look bad when I'm applying for medicine as it may show I am not fully committed to medicine? Also if I apply for medicine next year and don't get any offers does this mean my offer for maths will go because you can only apply once?

You can't keep a deferred entry offer and apply for medicine next year. You would have to give up any offers you get.
Original post by izzy31

Sorry, misread and just saw you said that you would wait until you had sat UKCAT.

You can still apply for maths as your fifth choice next year. It isn't the normal backup but it isn't unheard of. You would have to contact universities and see if you can submit a second, maths focussed ps to them.

Quick Reply

Latest