Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So im applying for architecture in uni, i went to a open day and felt cool about it when i came home something didnt feel right about studying a course for three years... Like i wont have any time to work so i cant earn any money and uni doesnt seem right for me ... What do i do !!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    So im applying for architecture in uni, i went to a open day and felt cool about it when i came home something didnt feel right about studying a course for three years... Like i wont have any time to work so i cant earn any money and uni doesnt seem right for me ... What do i do hellpppp !!!!!!!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I would say primarily check if degree apprenticeships exist. They are like any other apprenticeship - you work, get paid and learn on the job; but, you actually get a university-equivalent degree.

I know for sure that Barclays now do have degree apprenticeships and that more 'technical' and empirical areas of employment have begun to offer them e.g. design, architecture et cetera.

Otherwise, ask - ask your friends, family and more importantly teachers who have experience of university.

ReputationRep:
    If Uni doesn't seem right for you, maybe look into apprenticeships (the UCAS website has a few listed), or maybe some other options on top of that. Plus, even if your course would be full-time, I wonder if you've looked at the contact/lecture hours, as that can vary by a lot from course to course etc., and may leave time for a part time, or on-off job. Also, some courses at uni include a year in industry (or something of the sort), during which you get paid, which may be something to look at if money is a thinking point.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by syeds)
    So im applying for architecture in uni, i went to a open day and felt cool about it when i came home something didnt feel right about studying a course for three years... Like i wont have any time to work so i cant earn any money and uni doesnt seem right for me ... What do i do !!!!!!!!
    Not sure which country you're a part of, but if the university is free then I would definitely at least try it out. For me at least, school provides a place where you get to meet interesting people and learn from them. I honestly don't think you're going to lose anything if you go to the university unless your life desperately needs money to survive. University also increases the amount of money you will earn for life, since you have an extra qualification which some employers may be looking for. However, if you live in UK for example and the university isn't free, the rate you will have to pay it back will be VERY small and if you don't earn more than I think £20,000 you don't have to pay it back. My best advice to you is try it for a year, and if you don't like it then do something else.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by syeds)
    Hiya:hi:

I've popped your thread into this sub-forum so that you'll hopefully get the replies you're after.

To respond to your query: what's you career plan?:holmes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.