Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

21 and dating/relationship novice, HELP! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't want this to sound juvenile and crap but I need help. I'm sure I'm not the only one but basically I'm 21 and just started uni. I've not been very social for about 5 years (oh lord) and anxiety is a *****. I've only ever been on a few dates, and a pathetic 1 month relationship, I've only kissed that one guy and it was traumatic, literally worst first kiss situation!
    BUT, now I'm finally interested in someone, completely unexpected as I was beginning to think I just wasn't into the whole relationship ****, and I have a feeling he may be interested but I'm honestly **** and reading these kind of signals, again pathetic I know.
    So we're in a class together at uni and we got a drink after we finished, did some work together and chatted. It was great, and he invited to do uni related stuff at the weekend, but then invited me to have a drink afterwards. So we did this uni stuff that probably lasted 30 minutes and then spent the next 8 hours together having drinks and chatting, where he paid for everything (despite my protest). A couple we got talking to asked how long we'd been together (when I'd left for a couple of minutes), and he answered about 4 hours. Not sure if this was a joke or idk, a hint?Anyway the day/date(???) finished and he walked me home, hugged me and kissed me on the cheek... I wasn't expecting that and have overthought it too much (lame) and when he got home texted me to say how much he enjoyed the night and my company and said I was amazing, we should do it again, blablabla. I have not been that happy... in a seriously long time. I looked like a fool grinning away to myself.
    So we texted everyday after that, nothing major just here and there. He'd sometimes text first but I think I probably did more? Then later in the week I went over to his to help with work and uni stuff again but we ended up finishing that and watching two films. I've never felt so comfortable around someone and he let me take his bed whilst he slept on the sofa and yeah it was just lovely. I had to leave early so he was half asleep and saying goodbye is always awkward for me but yeah, we haven't texted since and I don't want to come on too strong in case I've misread the situation or come on too strong.
    We get on so well and he's such a gentleman, but I just really don't know how to approach this situation without majorly cocking things up/making things awkward as hell. Also he's a good few years older and had more serious relationships in the past which I'm a bit worried about seeming like a child/little girl(ugh) so if anyone's been in a similar situation?

Should I just ask him what he's thinking/feeling? I don't want to play any games... but I also don't want to be annoying or needy. Sorry this is so long! I NEED HELP :')

ReputationRep:
    Even if you're shy or lacking confidence, one thing you can take confidence from is the fact that he clearly likes you; not only that but he worked excessively hard to make you aware of this (inviting you over, kissing you on the cheek, texting to say he enjoys your company). If he wants a full on relationship, he is clearly being very gentleman-like and patient, perhaps waiting for you to show you're willing. Even if he isn't actively pursuing a relationship, the way he acts towards you shows he wouldn't be adverse to one, so my advice would be don't be afraid to send the first text, or suggest a meet-up, or flirt, and you could even ask him what he's thinking/feeling - what's the worst that could happen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rey Felipe)
    Even if you're shy or lacking confidence, one thing you can take confidence from is the fact that he clearly likes you; not only that but he worked excessively hard to make you aware of this (inviting you over, kissing you on the cheek, texting to say he enjoys your company). If he wants a full on relationship, he is clearly being very gentleman-like and patient, perhaps waiting for you to show you're willing. Even if he isn't actively pursuing a relationship, the way he acts towards you shows he wouldn't be adverse to one, so my advice would be don't be afraid to send the first text, or suggest a meet-up, or flirt, and you could even ask him what he's thinking/feeling - what's the worst that could happen?
    This is so reassuring! My brain can think of all the worst things that can happen, haha! Even if he hasn't texted since Thursday, do you think he would still be interested? Thanks for replying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahjadehs)
    This is so reassuring! My brain can think of all the worst things that can happen, haha! Even if he hasn't texted since Thursday, do you think he would still be interested? Thanks for replying!
    He will definitely be interested. One question though, how did the interaction go where he let you sleep on the bed while he slept on the sofa? Did you raise sleeping or did he?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.