Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anxiety and Depression Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I have anxiety such as social anxiety which means I haven't really got friends and this anxiety has become depression. I feel so worthless and unwanted. Would going to see a GP be worth while? I don't want to be wasting their time with my problems. I recently told a few people I know quite well that I think I have depression and they kept telling me that I am only joking and that if I actually had depression then I would keep it to myself.

ReputationRep:
    Any advice or comments would be appreciated! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueMeanie)
    Hey. I have anxiety such as social anxiety which means I haven't really got friends and this anxiety has become depression. I feel so worthless and unwanted. Would going to see a GP be worth while? I don't want to be wasting their time with my problems. I recently told a few people I know quite well that I think I have depression and they kept telling me that I am only joking and that if I actually had depression then I would keep it to myself.
    Hi there, I think it would be worthwhile if it's affecting your life considerably. If just someone to talk things over an develop coping strategies. I can't say I know exactly how you feel but I have had some social anxiety and I found it worthwhile joining groups doing activites with other people to get used to interacting socially. Hope this helps
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The whole "if you really had it, you'd keep it to yourself" is so stupid and makes no sense. If you had a broken leg would you keep that to yourself? What about a headache or any number of other physical ailments? It seems to be bothering you, and only getting worse not better, so yes, go see your GP. You're not going in asking for antibiotics for a cold so no, it wouldn't be wasting his time. A lot of GP appointments in the UK relate to mental health. 1 in 4 people suffer from a mental illness in a given year. And anyway, your parents have been paying taxes, why wouldn't you use a service they've (and possibly you've) paid for?

ReputationRep:
    Who ever told you that if you really had it you would keep it to yourself is a fool. I've had people tell me that I'm deluded and selfish for having depression, but I saw my doctor and I have professional help now. Definitely see your GP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pasteldom)
    Who ever told you that if you really had it you would keep it to yourself is a fool. I've had people tell me that I'm deluded and selfish for having depression, but I saw my doctor and I have professional help now. Definitely see your GP.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    The whole "if you really had it, you'd keep it to yourself" is so stupid and makes no sense. If you had a broken leg would you keep that to yourself? What about a headache or any number of other physical ailments? It seems to be bothering you, and only getting worse not better, so yes, go see your GP. You're not going in asking for antibiotics for a cold so no, it wouldn't be wasting his time. A lot of GP appointments in the UK relate to mental health. 1 in 4 people suffer from a mental illness in a given year. And anyway, your parents have been paying taxes, why wouldn't you use a service they've (and possibly you've) paid for?
    Yeah I guess we have been paying for the service. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceLover98)
    Hi there, I think it would be worthwhile if it's affecting your life considerably. If just someone to talk things over an develop coping strategies. I can't say I know exactly how you feel but I have had some social anxiety and I found it worthwhile joining groups doing activites with other people to get used to interacting socially. Hope this helps
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Those people are stupid and have no idea what it’s like going through depression. Visit your GP. They’ll be able to help you out by prescribing you meds’ to help you or referring you to a counsellor so you can talk to someone about your problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin Hodge)
    Those people are stupid and have no idea what it’s like going through depression. Visit your GP. They’ll be able to help you out by prescribing you meds’ to help you or referring you to a counsellor so you can talk to someone about your problems.
    Thanks! I will see my GP. All the sites such as the Samaritans say that you should tell people about your problems so I was a bit confused when they said that to me haha.

ReputationRep:
    I think talking to your GP is a really good idea, but they will often refer you to a mental health service, and this can take a long time to arrange, although it is worthwhile in the end! So while you are waiting it might be a good idea to see what you can do yourself too. There's lots of apps to help with anxiety such as Smiling Mind and Headspace. You could also see what support your school/university has to offer because this can have shorter waiting times. I hope you find what you need to help you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stressedpotato)
    I think talking to your GP is a really good idea, but they will often refer you to a mental health service, and this can take a long time to arrange, although it is worthwhile in the end! So while you are waiting it might be a good idea to see what you can do yourself too. There's lots of apps to help with anxiety such as Smiling Mind and Headspace. You could also see what support your school/university has to offer because this can have shorter waiting times. I hope you find what you need to help you!
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I will see my GP. All the sites such as the Samaritans say that you should tell people about your problems so I was a bit confused when they said that to me haha.
    You should see someone. Don’t suffer alone because it’ll just get worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin Hodge)
    You should see someone. Don’t suffer alone because it’ll just get worse.
    Thanks! I defiantly will! I'm touch at how kind and supportive total strangers on a forum are compare to the people I thought were friends! Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I defiantly will! I'm touch at how kind and supportive total strangers on a forum are compare to the people I thought were friends! Thanks again!
    You’re welcome
    We can be helpful, especially when someone’s health is at risk.

ReputationRep:
    You guys are great!

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    What's up
    My advice is to do everything you possibly can without resorting to prescribed drugs, or cigarettes, booze and illegal drugs. Drugs make it worse later on.
    You can boost your mood doing exercise, and you can find meaning by committing your time to something such as learning an instrument (make a goal to learn a tune by a certain date), learning a language (practise it with someone on interpals), volunteering somewhere, etc. And it helps to hang out with people. It's unfortunate that you say that you have no friends. If you're in London I can be your friend. Or we can be long distance friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notgivingaway)
    What's up
    My advice is to do everything you possibly can without resorting to prescribed drugs, or cigarettes, booze and illegal drugs. Drugs make it worse later on.
    You can boost your mood doing exercise, and you can find meaning by committing your time to something such as learning an instrument (make a goal to learn a tune by a certain date), learning a language (practise it with someone on interpals), volunteering somewhere, etc. And it helps to hang out with people. It's unfortunate that you say that you have no friends. If you're in London I can be your friend. Or we can be long distance friends.
    Thank! I guess I’ll have to face my fears step by step

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.