Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting Vet Science in Bristol in 2018 and have a few questions which hopefully can be answered here...?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

1) Is cycling to lectures actually feasible? I'm getting a hand me down bike for uni but I don't want to take it with me if realistically I'm not going to be able to cycle from uni accommodation to classes. What's Bristol like for cycling? Are there places on campus to freshen up if you get sweaty?

2) The UoB own student gym membership says there's a discount from the usual price for students in receipt of bursaries, student maintenance etc. Is this actually applied, and what is the value of said discount? Looking at the gym + swim passes through the uni, as it's not much cheaper elsewhere by the looks of it!

3) Some of my mates have "reading weeks", but it seems to vary depending on uni and course. Does Bristol have anything like this?

ReputationRep:
    I can't answer all these, but I'll have a go since no one else has yet replied.

(Original post by Scitty)
    1) Is cycling to lectures actually feasible? I'm getting a hand me down bike for uni but I don't want to take it with me if realistically I'm not going to be able to cycle from uni accommodation to classes. What's Bristol like for cycling? Are there places on campus to freshen up if you get sweaty?
    Bristol is quite a hilly place, but people do cycle in. How practical it is will depend on your fitness levels and how far away (and where!) you live.

The university's Combined Travel Plan states (page 44): "The University provides cycle facilities for staff and students in the forms of Sheffield hoops and showers." I don't know where the showers are. I've never cycled there myself.

2) The UoB own student gym membership says there's a discount from the usual price for students in receipt of bursaries, student maintenance etc. Is this actually applied, and what is the value of said discount?
    If they advertise that they provide discounts, then they have to provide them (otherwise they'd be on very dodgy ground legally). Unfortunately it seems that you have to ask what the discounts are. (Maybe they only tell you if can show you're eligible.)

3) Some of my mates have "reading weeks", but it seems to vary depending on uni and course. Does Bristol have anything like this?
    Certainly some courses have reading weeks. I wouldn't like to claim that they all do. Also, note that this doesn't necessarily mean that you can go home; there might not be lectures in those weeks but there may be other things you need to do in Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin7)
    x
    Cheers! That helps a little.

Thanks for answering.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.