Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It’s my first English essay of the year and well, I’m totally baffled.

I am studying The Duchess Of Malfi by John Webster. My essay question is:
    Explore the ways in which Webster presents the theme of marriage.
    Basically, I’m stuck on the introduction, so far I have written:

Through the theme of marriage Webster has successfully neglected the patriarchal society of the Jacobean era and the misogynistic “high blood” views of the Duchess’ brothers. Although Webster creates this image of death and pain being caused by marriage he also exemplifies the idea of protection and ownership that a man would hold over his wife during the time. However, his use of a female protagonist contradicts all of this as he strips away Antonio’s power and dominant role in these initial stages of his marriage to the Duchess in Act 1.

Is this good enough? I’ve tried to give it a slightly humourous tone to reflect my own personality but I’m not sure if it works.

Please help, thanks.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by AnnaKm12)
    It’s my first English essay of the year and well, I’m totally baffled.

I am studying The Duchess Of Malfi by John Webster. My essay question is:
    Explore the ways in which Webster presents the theme of marriage.
    Basically, I’m stuck on the introduction, so far I have written:

Through the theme of marriage Webster has successfully neglected the patriarchal society of the Jacobean era and the misogynistic “high blood” views of the Duchess’ brothers. Although Webster creates this image of death and pain being caused by marriage he also exemplifies the idea of protection and ownership that a man would hold over his wife during the time. However, his use of a female protagonist contradicts all of this as he strips away Antonio’s power and dominant role in these initial stages of his marriage to the Duchess in Act 1.

Is this good enough? I’ve tried to give it a slightly humourous tone to reflect my own personality but I’m not sure if it works.

Please help, thanks.
    You shouldnt fret about the introduction. If it was an issue for me I would normally have planned the essay, done my research and then write from there.

The most important point of the essay and where you score the marks is the middle 80%. For now just bullet point your introduction with the key ideas.

Get on with the rest of the essay and then write it later. You will have a much better view of what you wish to write when you have a good first draft. Same goes for the conclusion imo. You will find when you do your exams then introduction is he least important part of the essay as long as you answer the question.

ReputationRep:
    Try not to be too assertive in the introduction, tell the examiner/teacher what ideas your going to be exploring in the essay without analysing anything too deeply. You can also open your essays up by offering a thesis (phrased as statement, not a question) basically an idea that builds on the original essay question.
    Personally I’d steer away from humour in an academic essay.
    I got an A at AS and an A* at a level eng lit so hmu if you have any Q’s
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.