• Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmurphy21)
    Yes, I am in Wales.
    Ah, the Welsh Bacc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Ah, the Welsh Bacc
    Indeed. It’s rather mundane and it’s clashed with some of my options, annoyingly.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. It’s rather mundane and it’s clashed with some of my options, annoyingly.
    but luckily we can substitute the WB grade with one bad, irrelevant grade if it comes to that most unis will accept the WB as an a level grade, with the exception of Bath as I know so far
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor1234)
    I'm currently in Year 12 studying 3 A levels: Maths, Further Maths and Physics, all of them are linear ( I take all the exams at the end of Year 13). Everyone in my school is doing 3 but most people on TSR are doing 4 and the good sixth forms in my area are also doing 4. Will I be put at a disadvantage when applying to university?
    Hi, there. I also do 3 A Levels as well: History, Economics and Sociology. In response to your question no, you will not be disadvantaged with 3 A Levels because all universities require a minimum of 3 A Levels and from my perspective doing 4 or more is just creating stress for yourself and it's not necessary. Hope that helps.

Follow my GYG thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4911524

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    but luckily we can substitute the WB grade with one bad, irrelevant grade if it comes to that most unis will accept the WB as an a level grade, with the exception of Bath as I know so far
    I’ve taken three subjects anyway so if I were to apply to Bath, it wouldn’t affect me whereas I have friends who have taken English Lit and Geography with Welsh Bac being their third.

ReputationRep:
    Most people do 3 A Levels

I wouldn't use TSR as a yardstick because I don't think its really representative of the student population/sixth formers as a whole

ReputationRep:
    I’ve taken three subjects anyway so if I were to apply to Bath, it wouldn’t affect me whereas I have friends who have taken English Lit and Geography with Welsh Bac being their third.
    The Bac can save people who do 3 subjects + Bac on results day, that's why they make us do it

ReputationRep:
    no I see 3 as enough as this is the minimum that that universities require for entry.

If you want to do 4 then go ahead but it's not necessary.

ReputationRep:
    3 is fine especially because linear so you'll having 18 hours of exams in year 13. I'd only do 4 with fm if you did all maths in year 12 then just had fm lessons in y13.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrelaiBoy)
    The Bac can save people who do 3 subjects + Bac on results day, that's why they make us do it
    Are you from Wales then?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of schools have a default option as four AS then 3 A2, or four A2 if further maths. But then I saw literally everyone who wasn't a strong oxbridge candidate ended up dropping their fourth A level in the further maths set and a huge proportion of people who initially wanted to keep all 4 and did other subjects (3 sciences + maths) ended up dropping it too. It's just a method of showing you have good time management which is a key skill Oxbridge students require unless they want to drop out of get a third or lower.

ReputationRep:
    Are you from Wales then?
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrelaiBoy)
    Most people do 3 A Levels

I wouldn't use TSR as a yardstick because I don't think its really representative of the student population/sixth formers as a whole
    I mean I can't use the students in my school as a comparison since my school is amongst the worst in the area.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appleorpear)
    A lot of schools have a default option as four AS then 3 A2, or four A2 if further maths. But then I saw literally everyone who wasn't a strong oxbridge candidate ended up dropping their fourth A level in the further maths set and a huge proportion of people who initially wanted to keep all 4 and did other subjects (3 sciences + maths) ended up dropping it too. It's just a method of showing you have good time management which is a key skill Oxbridge students require unless they want to drop out of get a third or lower.
    4 A-levels are not required for Oxbridge either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in Year 12 studying 3 A levels: Maths, Further Maths and Physics, all of them are linear ( I take all the exams at the end of Year 13). Everyone in my school is doing 3 but most people on TSR are doing 4 and the good sixth forms in my area are also doing 4. Will I be put at a disadvantage when applying to university?
    You will not even be at the smallest disadvantage with 3 A-Levels. 3 grades are all you need.

That being said, I'm currently doing 4, in Year 13. (One is a self study) but I've found myself doing better in all my subjects because of the work I'm putting into the 4th. It's odd, but it's helping me a lot with time management and doesn't feel at all hard. So doing 4 may not be a bad thing. But 3 really is all youll need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoyfan)
    You know what? I've asked the same question to TSR and they said that 3 is good enough.

However, I also noticed that pretty much flipping everyone who does Maths and Further Maths also does another 2 A levels, so I decided to also do computer science. Whether or not I regret my decision still remains to be seen...

The main reason why I am doing 4 A levels is because my careers advisor couldn't give me a straight answer to whether 3 A levels would put me at a disadvantage when pretty much everyone is doing 4.
    I do Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science and I have so far received 2 Uni Offers within about 3 weeks, from both Bristol and Leeds. So I did have the exact same worry however it seems to really not be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilySarah00)
    I do Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science and I have so far received 2 Uni Offers within about 3 weeks, from both Bristol and Leeds. So I did have the exact same worry however it seems to really not be an issue.
    Ahh well, I guess it is too late now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    4 A-levels are not required for Oxbridge either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm saying all but the strongest Oxbridge candidates kept four to A2 and for them it was just a way of showing strong time management skills.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!
    I'm doing three too - maths (core, mech and stats), bio and chem.
    I couldn't take four because my school didn't offer, but I could've taken further maths as well as maths if I had wanted to. I think we have to do really well in the three, and this should be easier because we have less subjects to devote our time to.
    Mine are linear too. I haven't checked the whole thread but I hope it doesn't put us at a disadvantage because I really want to do medical in the UK!
    How are you finding year 12? I'm pretty much just scraping 65% in everything right now but I hope I get better because I think I did quite well in IGCSE's.
    Tell me whats up - you can try PMing me but I don't use TSR that often anymore but I'll try to reply ASAP
    Well, best of luck to all of us!
    xxx
    CookiemonstaXD

ReputationRep:
    you wont be at a disadvantage! most uni requirements are 3 alevels, don't look at how many others are doing, just get good grades!

Spoiler:
    Show

and ur A-Levels are really academic too so that's a bonus.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.