Year 12 - 3 or 4 A levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by cmurphy21
Yes, I am in Wales.

Ah, the Welsh Bacc :smile:
Original post by Doonesbury
Ah, the Welsh Bacc :smile:

Indeed. It’s rather mundane and it’s clashed with some of my options, annoyingly.
Reply 22
Original post by Doctor1234
I'm currently in Year 12 studying 3 A levels: Maths, Further Maths and Physics, all of them are linear ( I take all the exams at the end of Year 13). Everyone in my school is doing 3 but most people on TSR are doing 4 and the good sixth forms in my area are also doing 4. Will I be put at a disadvantage when applying to university?

Hi, there. I also do 3 A Levels as well: History, Economics and Sociology. In response to your question no, you will not be disadvantaged with 3 A Levels because all universities require a minimum of 3 A Levels and from my perspective doing 4 or more is just creating stress for yourself and it's not necessary. Hope that helps. :smile:

Follow my GYG thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4911524
I’ve taken three subjects anyway so if I were to apply to Bath, it wouldn’t affect me whereas I have friends who have taken English Lit and Geography with Welsh Bac being their third.
Most people do 3 A Levels

I wouldn't use TSR as a yardstick because I don't think its really representative of the student population/sixth formers as a whole
I’ve taken three subjects anyway so if I were to apply to Bath, it wouldn’t affect me whereas I have friends who have taken English Lit and Geography with Welsh Bac being their third.

The Bac can save people who do 3 subjects + Bac on results day, that's why they make us do it
no I see 3 as enough as this is the minimum that that universities require for entry.

If you want to do 4 then go ahead but it's not necessary.
3 is fine especially because linear so you'll having 18 hours of exams in year 13. I'd only do 4 with fm if you did all maths in year 12 then just had fm lessons in y13.
Original post by TrelaiBoy
The Bac can save people who do 3 subjects + Bac on results day, that's why they make us do it

Are you from Wales then?
A lot of schools have a default option as four AS then 3 A2, or four A2 if further maths. But then I saw literally everyone who wasn't a strong oxbridge candidate ended up dropping their fourth A level in the further maths set and a huge proportion of people who initially wanted to keep all 4 and did other subjects (3 sciences + maths) ended up dropping it too. It's just a method of showing you have good time management which is a key skill Oxbridge students require unless they want to drop out of get a third or lower.
Are you from Wales then?

Yep :smile:
Reply 31
Most people do 3 A Levels

I wouldn't use TSR as a yardstick because I don't think its really representative of the student population/sixth formers as a whole

I mean I can't use the students in my school as a comparison since my school is amongst the worst in the area.
Reply 32
Original post by Appleorpear
A lot of schools have a default option as four AS then 3 A2, or four A2 if further maths. But then I saw literally everyone who wasn't a strong oxbridge candidate ended up dropping their fourth A level in the further maths set and a huge proportion of people who initially wanted to keep all 4 and did other subjects (3 sciences + maths) ended up dropping it too. It's just a method of showing you have good time management which is a key skill Oxbridge students require unless they want to drop out of get a third or lower.

4 A-levels are not required for Oxbridge either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm currently in Year 12 studying 3 A levels: Maths, Further Maths and Physics, all of them are linear ( I take all the exams at the end of Year 13). Everyone in my school is doing 3 but most people on TSR are doing 4 and the good sixth forms in my area are also doing 4. Will I be put at a disadvantage when applying to university?

You will not even be at the smallest disadvantage with 3 A-Levels. 3 grades are all you need.

That being said, I'm currently doing 4, in Year 13. (One is a self study) but I've found myself doing better in all my subjects because of the work I'm putting into the 4th. It's odd, but it's helping me a lot with time management and doesn't feel at all hard. So doing 4 may not be a bad thing. But 3 really is all youll need.
Original post by stoyfan
You know what? I've asked the same question to TSR and they said that 3 is good enough.

However, I also noticed that pretty much flipping everyone who does Maths and Further Maths also does another 2 A levels, so I decided to also do computer science. Whether or not I regret my decision still remains to be seen...

The main reason why I am doing 4 A levels is because my careers advisor couldn't give me a straight answer to whether 3 A levels would put me at a disadvantage when pretty much everyone is doing 4.

I do Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science and I have so far received 2 Uni Offers within about 3 weeks, from both Bristol and Leeds. So I did have the exact same worry however it seems to really not be an issue.
Original post by EmilySarah00
I do Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science and I have so far received 2 Uni Offers within about 3 weeks, from both Bristol and Leeds. So I did have the exact same worry however it seems to really not be an issue.

Ahh well, I guess it is too late now.
Original post by Doonesbury
4 A-levels are not required for Oxbridge either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm saying all but the strongest Oxbridge candidates kept four to A2 and for them it was just a way of showing strong time management skills.

Hey there!
I'm doing three too - maths (core, mech and stats), bio and chem.
I couldn't take four because my school didn't offer, but I could've taken further maths as well as maths if I had wanted to. I think we have to do really well in the three, and this should be easier because we have less subjects to devote our time to.
Mine are linear too. I haven't checked the whole thread but I hope it doesn't put us at a disadvantage because I really want to do medical in the UK!
How are you finding year 12? I'm pretty much just scraping 65% in everything right now but I hope I get better because I think I did quite well in IGCSE's.
Tell me whats up - you can try PMing me but I don't use TSR that often anymore but I'll try to reply ASAP :smile:
Well, best of luck to all of us!
xxx
CookiemonstaXD
you wont be at a disadvantage! most uni requirements are 3 alevels, don't look at how many others are doing, just get good grades!

Spoiler

Yep :smile:

It’s nice to come across a fellow Welshie!

Quick Reply

Latest