The Student Room Group

Year 12 - 3 or 4 A levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
For me
Original post by cmurphy21
It’s nice to come across a fellow Welshie!

We are a rare breed on these kinds of websites!
In my school you can only do further maths if you take it as a 4th a level that may be the same in a lot of schools in that everyone who takes further maths is doing 4 a levels
Reply 43
Original post by thegalaxy
I'm doing three - Maths, CS and French. I was intending on doing four, but none of the subjects in the final option block appealed to me. Universities base their offers on 3 A-levels, so you won't be put at a disadvantage.

For some reason my school is still doing AS levels so I am currently doing 4 subjects, but a friend of mine is doing the same as you. The best way to know whether you'll be at a disadvantage is to ask admissions tutors at the universities for the courses you're planning to apply for. I don't really see why you'd be at a disadvantage if most people around the country are doing 3 A Levels though.
Haven't really read all the thread so idk if I'm repeating people but I'm hoping 3 is fine, I was practically persuaded to take 3 by my college and decided to do an EPQ instead... didn't really have a 4th that appealed to me - in taking Biology, Chemistry & Maths... I had been worried too that I would be at a disadvantage... manly thinking along the lines of UCAS points but I guess if an interest in our chosen degree subject is highlighted (when it comes to uni) in other ways e.g reading & work experience then it should be chill 😂
Reply 45
Original post by .........idek
Haven't really read all the thread so idk if I'm repeating people but I'm hoping 3 is fine,

Maybe read the earlier replies then :wink:
Original post by Doctor1234
Yeah I've noticed many further maths students choose 4 A levels, so I thought I may be put a disadvantage.

I think it’s only LSE that says if you do further maths, you must do 4 A levels
Original post by TrelaiBoy
We are a rare breed on these kinds of websites!

Welsh gang checking in :five:

And to OP, if you have no interest in taking up any other A-level as a 4th one then don't do it. People might say that the likes of Oxbridge like to see 4 A-levels, but if you're applying for one of maths/physics as you say, a good STEP/MAT/PAT/etc. score will be far, far more important than a 4th A-level.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm studying 4 A-levels and right now I want to end my life.
Original post by Doonesbury
Maybe read the earlier replies then :wink:

Aha don't worry I have now, just wanted to note down my initial thoughts 🤷🏼*♀️😂
What if he wants to switch professions
Unless your doing maths or physics
Some unis dont regard further maths as a subject alongside maths
Reply 51
Original post by Ex-pert
What if he wants to switch professions
Unless your doing maths or physics
Some unis dont regard further maths as a subject alongside maths

What??? What unis don't consider Further Matjs as a subject?
Original post by Doctor1234
What??? What unis don't consider Further Matjs as a subject?

if your gonna do maths or physics then its fine they do consider further maths
but if i wanna do anything else such as medicine and i pick maths further maths and chemistry they will only consider maths and FM as one subject
search it for yourself
No. As long as u know wat u wanna do for uni- and so wat subjects u need. I recommend 3 subjects
Original post by Ex-pert
but if i wanna do anything else such as medicine and i pick maths further maths and chemistry they will only consider maths and FM as one subject
search it for yourself

For medicine
Barts dont consider it
st andrews
sheffield
bristol
birmingham
Reply 56
Original post by Ex-pert
search it for yourself

OP is doing Maths, Physics and FM. They won't be applying for Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
OP is doing Maths, Physics and FM. They won't be applying for Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I stated previously just in case he wants to change courses
but i see what you mean
Reply 58
Original post by Ex-pert
I stated previously just in case he wants to change courses
but i see what you mean

It's only a few MedSchools, and Economics at LSE, that have a "restriction" on FM. Not exactly a significant limitation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
It’s always best to start with 4 AS and do 3 A-level 4 AS gives you a backup in case you change your mind or end up doing badly in one subject, if you did 3 and did a subject you didn’t like or did bad in, then what? You have to squeeze an a-level into one year or do an extra year.

Doing 4 A-levels is also alright but unis only want 3 most the time, sometimes having 4 can make you look stronger and if you’re doing something like further maths and it’s required they’ll usually ask for 4 a-levels

Quick Reply

Latest