Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it okay to ask if a girl has boyfriend right after you know her name? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am honest and i dont want to waste anyone's time. If a girl is already taken i would not further pursue her.

I tend to ask her if she is single right after i get to know her name. But a lot of girls seem to freak out when i pop that question. And i am thinking that asking her too quickly is actually what ruined my chances.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You should probably get to know more about her first then ask her out, even if it takes a few days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    I am honest and i dont want to waste anyone's time. If a girl is already taken i would not further pursue her.

I tend to ask her if she is single right after i get to know her name. But a lot of girls seem to freak out when i pop that question. And i am thinking that asking her too quickly is actually what ruined my chances.
    They probably get freaked out because relationships are based on liking each other's personalities not just finding each other attractive, and obviously you can't tell if you like each other if all you know is each other's names...

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit early. Imagine it the opposite way around, you just meet someone and they say 'so, do you have a girlfriend?' you'd be like the f**k?

Talk to her for a bit, you only will 'waste' a week or so. By then she'll have made a decision about you and you will probably in the course of getting to know her found out about any boyfriend - if not, once you've built some rapport the question is not unreasonable but I'd personally slip it in rather than asking it outright, or maybe get to know people she knows and ask them. They might feed back to her but it'll inform her decision so you can be aware of that if you choose to ask her out.

Basically yeah it's way too forward if you've only just learned her name, and will put people off because it seems either insincere or too forward as in you could ask eight or nine people in a night having never met any of them which doesnt set a good foundation for any sort of relationship. Casual hookup, yes. Relationship, no.
    • Very Important Poster

Too early and clumsy. If she has a bf then its likely to become obvious if you listen. I agree with above a week is less pushy.

ReputationRep:
    Nah I normally ask "what's your favourite chicken piece?"
    If she says breast or thigh, NO CHANCE IT'S GONNA WORK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)

your first task is to access how attracted to you the girl is,

on a scale of 1 to 5, if she is not at least at 4 then asking her this very soon after meeting will probably throw her shields up and make her unnecessarily uncomfortable around you..

if the girl is fairly attracted to you, then asking her if she has a bf so soon after meeting isn't going to do you no harm

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.