The Student Room Group

Advanced and Advanced Subsidiary

Im confused lol im doing Edexcel A2 chemistry and im not sure whats the difference between Advanced and Advanced Subsidiary is. What one am I doing if im in A2 chemistry Edexcel?
Reply 1
Advanced subsidiary (AS) is normally a 1 year course covering the first half of the A level specification. A level is normally a 2 year course covering approximately twice as much stuff. There is no requirement to take AS exams in order to progress to A level but the AS content forms part of the A level.

You say you're taking A2 so I presume you mean you're in Year 13 and have already covered the AS content.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
Advanced subsidiary (AS) is normally a 1 year course covering the first half of the A level specification. A level is normally a 2 year course covering approximately twice as much stuff. There is no requirement to take AS exams in order to process to A level but the AS content forms part of the A level.

You say you're taking A2 so I presume you mean you're in Year 13 and have already covered the AS content.

Yes i have covered the AS content but what exam am i doing the Advanced or Advanced subsidiary? I do my exams after the end of 2 years and i already done 1 year and im in A2 i am so confused lol
Reply 3
Original post by Compost
Advanced subsidiary (AS) is normally a 1 year course covering the first half of the A level specification. A level is normally a 2 year course covering approximately twice as much stuff. There is no requirement to take AS exams in order to process to A level but the AS content forms part of the A level.

So am i doing just advanced???????
Reply 4
Original post by zninja3
Yes i have covered the AS content but what exam am i doing the Advanced or Advanced subsidiary? I do my exams after the end of 2 years and i already done 1 year and im in A2 i am so confused lol

You will never take the AS exams. You will take the Advanced exams at the end of this year.
Reply 5
Original post by zninja3
So am i doing just advanced???????

Yes. The A in A level is for Advanced. Strictly speaking A2 was a modular A level thing and now no longer exists though people are still using it to refer to the second year of A level. You've been doing advanced all along.
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
Yes. The A in A level is for Advanced. Strictly speaking A2 was a modular A level thing and now no longer exists though people are still using it to refer to the second year of A level. You've been doing advanced all along.

So when im doing past papers i should still focus on advanced sub as it may help?
Reply 7
Original post by zninja3
So when im doing past papers i should still focus on advanced sub as it may help?

Yes, (if you can find AS papers for the new reformed specs) the questions will be completely relevant but only cover the first half of the course.

Quick Reply

Latest