Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Unconventional Journey To 5 A-Levels 2017-2019 Watch

ReputationRep:

TheMindGarage's Sixth-Form Journey 2017-2019

Well, let's just say I had a slightly unusual education. It's a very long story that started way back in Year 3 when I started going to secondary school for maths lessons because regular maths lessons weren't challenging enough (!). Nine years, way too many subjects taken early and more than my fair share of sweat and tears later, I'm here. But really this is only the start...

To cut a long story short, I took A-level Maths and AS-level Further Maths in Year 11, alongside my GCSEs. So this year I'll be completing my Further Maths along with starting Physics, Chemistry and Computer Science. So I'll end up with 5 A-levels, but at no point will I have studied any more than 4 subjects at once (otherwise I'd be dead by now!). I will however have to keep my maths fresh during my second year because otherwise come uni time, I'd be very rusty compared to others who took a more conventional path.

For the next two years, I'll be keeping track of everything that's going on, whether it's exams, mocks, uni visits or other things. I'll be sharing any tips I have (both for revision and for understanding certain topics). This may be a study blog, but I might add a few non-academic things in here as well. After all, life isn't just about studying!

GCSE Grades:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Statistics: A* (2011, Edexcel) - found the coursework pretty tough but made up for it in the exam
    Maths: A* (2012, Edexcel) - Sneakily escaped doing the new spec...
    Music: A* (2016, Edexcel) - Got full UMS in everything apart from a random B for my appraisal. My teacher warned the marking for that was strange though.
    Mandarin Chinese: A* (2016, Edexcel) - Was taught by my mother. A massive struggle, and I'm glad it's over. That 50-character plan was a godsend!
    English Language: 8 (2017, AQA) - I find the analysis bit very difficult, but in my mocks I made up for it with 90% or more in the creative writing.
    English Literature: 7 (2017, AQA) - Did Macbeth, Jekyll and Hyde and An Inspector Calls. Again, I dislike literary analysis but I'm just thankful the worst thing my exam board did was a dodgy chapter number!
    Physics: A* (2017, AQA) - Calculations were definitely the easiest part of this for me. Hardest bit was probably the stuff about the eye in P3.
    Chemistry: A* (2017, AQA) - Again, calculations were definitely the easiest for me.
    Biology: A* (2017, AQA) - Was slightly worried about this one since I'm not so good with written answers and evaluation.
    German: A* (2017, AQA) - Definitely the right language for me. It's just a matter of sticking to the grammar and word-order rules very strictly.
    Geography: A (2017, AQA) - Was predicted an A* despite getting As in all my mocks. Definitely wasn't my strongest subject.
    Systems and Controls: A (2017, AQA) - A little disappointed since my project was moderated down from full marks to an A. Pity you can't remark coursework.
    Business and Economics: A* (2017, Edexcel) - Multiple choice paper was stupidly easy. The written paper was actually OK because my teacher gave us a logical structure for each type of question which helped me to say the right points without wasting time.

Completed A-Level Exams:
    Spoiler:
    Show

A-Level Maths: A* 584/600 (2017, OCR). This is subject to change when I take my Further Maths A2 modules and the modules are redistributed.

AS-Level Further Maths: 275/300 (2016, OCR). Taking A2 exams this year (FP2, M2, D2).

C1: 96 (2016)
    C2: 99 (2016)
    FP1: 97 (2016)
    S1: 89 (2016)
    D1: 100 (2016)
    M1: 81 (2016)

C3: 100 (2017)

C4: 100 (2017)

S2: 97 (2017)

In-Class Mocks:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Further Maths A2:
    October 2017 (Half of M2 plus FP2 Matrices): 35/36 = 97%

Physics:
    October 2017: PENDING

Chemistry:
    October 2017: 39/40 = 98%

Computer Science:

October 2017: PENDING

Other Notable Exams:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Senior Maths Challenge 2015: 106/125[Gold]

Senior Maths Challenge 2016: 120/125 [Gold]
    BMO1 2016: 42/60 [Bronze]
    BMO2 2017: 12/40

Other Notable Exams:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Senior Maths Challenge 2015: 106/125[Gold]
    Senior Maths Challenge 2016: 120/125 [Gold]
    BMO1 2016: 42/60 [Bronze]
    BMO2 2017: 12/40

Goals:
    I hope to study Engineering of some form in uni, possibly at Cambridge. I'm very interested in the mechanisms and engineering inside cars. Although given what Brexit's doing to our industry, my German GCSE may end up being even more useful than I thought...

Apart from that, I aim to keep the friends I have, make a few more and hopefully have a bit more of a life than I did in secondary school.

I'll try to keep this blog updated as often as I can. If any of you have any questions or topics you want me to write about, please comment!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.