The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How to deal with extreme stress

Hi, I'm sure many people are going through the same thing currently
I'm in year 13, which of course means..........EXAMS AND UNI APPLICATIONS
I've been incredibly stressed lately. Usually I can handle stress normally but as of now my immune system has been very weak, I keep getting ill, my hair is falling out, my period is late, I am very jittery and twitch a lot, etc.
I cannot relax. I have tried every therapists, friends, family members advice, and nothing is working. If I try to 'take a break' the amount of work I have to do just stays stuck in the back of my mind and I end up feeling worse.
Also, do not suggest talking to my parents, because they are a large contributor to my stress and let's just keep things simple and say the relationship I have with my family is absolute dog shet.
Anyway, I just want to know if anyone has felt this exact same way and how to deal with it.
I'm applying to several countries for university, all of which have long ass applications, I have had mocks and coursework deadlines nonstop since school started, and to add to that lovely package I had class everyday of summer because of a course I was attending.
Due to the courses I am enrolled in and the amount of unis I'm applying to as well as my combination of IB subjects (which have many deadlines now), I have a higher workload than other students in my class. I am NOT in any way trying to be bitter, I just cannot keep coping with this stress. I break down over everything and the stress is now just completely unhelpful because I'm finding it hard to complete simple tasks. I do have a friend which I talk to about these things but talking only helps so much. I don't know what other measures to take. Please share your experiences and what you did to stop this horrible feeling of constant anxiety.
thank you so much I appreciate any help.
Maybe try meditating? I've been super stressed over the last few weeks/months, same situation as you, Year 13, UCAS, entrance exams, interviews and my A levels (4 of them) are all buzzing around my head at the moment. I've recently got into meditating and it really helps me calm down and be at ease with my thoughts, obviously its not for everyone, but it can't hurt to try.
you should begin to prioritise and sort every thing into urgent and/important
All I can say is prioritise healthy eating and fixed sleep patterns (of about 8 hours) over work. Whether it makes you more effective or relaxed, one contributes to the other.
Original post by whatfuture
I've been incredibly stressed lately. Usually I can handle stress normally but as of now my immune system has been very weak, I keep getting ill, my hair is falling out, my period is late, I am very jittery and twitch a lot, etc.
I cannot relax. I have tried every therapists, friends, family members advice, and nothing is working. If I try to 'take a break' the amount of work I have to do just stays stuck in the back of my mind and I end up feeling worse.
Also, do not suggest talking to my parents, because they are a large contributor to my stress and let's just keep things simple and say the relationship I have with my family is absolute dog shet.
Anyway, I just want to know if anyone has felt this exact same way and how to deal with it.
I'm applying to several countries for university, all of which have long ass applications, I have had mocks and coursework deadlines nonstop since school started, and to add to that lovely package I had class everyday of summer because of a course I was attending.
Due to the courses I am enrolled in and the amount of unis I'm applying to as well as my combination of IB subjects (which have many deadlines now), I have a higher workload than other students in my class. I am NOT in any way trying to be bitter, I just cannot keep coping with this stress. I break down over everything and the stress is now just completely unhelpful because I'm finding it hard to complete simple tasks. I do have a friend which I talk to about these things but talking only helps so much. I don't know what other measures to take. Please share your experiences and what you did to stop this horrible feeling of constant anxiety.

I found just getting on with the work until I finish everything to be the best way of managing it PERSONALLY.

It's a very stiff-upper lip/British type of response, but for me it was definitely the best way.
(edited 6 years ago)
My coping mechanism is always to go out of control in other aspects of my life, as unhealthy as that is. It releases a lot of energy. You know when everything builds up and you freak out at someone and cry and all of a sudden go numb and empty and just carry on like a robot? Yh, its a self induced version of that. Drinking too much, exercising too much, fighting. It's like a very precarious seesaw: one side has a pile of school work/competitiveness/the pressure to succeed, the other a pile of recklessness/living life to its dangerous full/total disregard. I also really like to use my stress to make music, which is useful because the music turns out full of energy and genuine emotion, which is always a plus
Original post by whatfuture

Write down on a sheet of paper all the work that's due in and the respective deadlines. Get a diary and put them in there too.

Write a to-do list of all the Uni applications you have to do thus far, and the status of ones you have applied to already, including any further work that needs to be done for the incomplete ones.

As you transfer your thoughts to paper, you can find solace in the fact that you do not need to think about these things any more. They are written down; they are manageable.

Finally, put this in context. You yourself are inflicting damage on your own mind by overthinking. There is no order from anyone that's telling you - you must worry and panic because this is so important! You choose how to deal with your stuff to do. You're in a stage of your life where there is an increase in workload, a big increase. Understand this, and that afterwards, you can chill. In the meantime, take breaks to calm yourself.
We all know stress is bad for us, but it can be difficult to determine how important it is to deal with it. So we need to look for ways to manage our stress in a healthy way, so that it does not cause any serious health problems for you.

Latest