Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best subjects to take at national 5 level if I want to do medicine at university Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there I know that I want to work in medicine at national 4 level I am currently studying the following subjects
    Maths
    English
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Spanish
    PE & Extra PE
    Graph Comm

My school only offers 6 subjects at national 5 level but you can crash more subjects one you get to highers. So soon I am going to have to cut this list of subjects down to 6. Which would be the best ones if I want to do Medicine (hopefully cardiology). Someone told me that the 3 sciences will be a lot of work? I just want to give myself the best chance of success at getting into university to do medicine preferably in scotland.
    Thanks for your advice anyone that can offer any.

ReputationRep:
    The three sciences at N5 level really isn't too hard. If you've got a knack for science and you enjoy them all then why not? Of course Maths and English. And then with the last three I'll imagine the choice will be made for you depending on which one doesn't clash with the others. Can't go wrong with Spanish though.

ReputationRep:
    Triple science, English, Maths and a social subject or a language, so Spanish from your list.
    Take Physics, Chem, Bio, English and Maths to Higher and Bio, Chem and Maths to adv Higher. If you get 6A's at N5 and 5A's at higher you should get into any scottish uni, the English unis will want AAB at Adv higher because you start a year ahead of the scottish unis. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ferm4t)
    Triple science, English, Maths and a social subject or a language, so Spanish from your list.
    Take Physics, Chem, Bio, English and Maths to Higher and Bio, Chem and Maths to adv Higher. If you get 6A's at N5 and 5A's at higher you should get into any scottish uni, the English unis will want AAB at Adv higher because you start a year ahead of the scottish unis. Best of luck!
    I took 3 sciences, maths, english, geography and spanish for national 5 level. For highers now I'm doing triple science, maths and english. The three sciences at nat 5 weren't particularly difficult - despite what people said it wasn't any harder than doing 2 sciences or just 1.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Maths, English and the 3 sciences in my opinion. Ideally Spanish from the rest unless you think you won't do particularly well in it a. Aim for 6As and then drop Spanish for Highers.

(Original post by 727272)
    Hi there I know that I want to work in medicine at national 4 level I am currently studying the following subjects
    Maths
    English
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Spanish
    PE & Extra PE
    Graph Comm

My school only offers 6 subjects at national 5 level but you can crash more subjects one you get to highers. So soon I am going to have to cut this list of subjects down to 6. Which would be the best ones if I want to do Medicine (hopefully cardiology). Someone told me that the 3 sciences will be a lot of work? I just want to give myself the best chance of success at getting into university to do medicine preferably in scotland.
    Thanks for your advice anyone that can offer any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nimota)
    I took 3 sciences, maths, english, geography and spanish for national 5 level. For highers now I'm doing triple science, maths and english. The three sciences at nat 5 weren't particularly difficult - despite what people said it wasn't any harder than doing 2 sciences or just 1.
    Are you going for med? and what where your nat 5 results?

ReputationRep:
    I was planning to go into Medicine and at N5 I did:

Admin
    Biology
    Chemistry
    English
    French
    Maths
    Modern Studies
    Music

I got 6xA and 2xB, the B's were in the sciences ironically. For N5, if you can do the 3 sciences at once, do them, so you can progress to do them at Higher and therefore stand out from the rest. I would also take a social subject (RMPS or Geography preferably, if offered), English and Maths.

Just make sure that for Higher, your subjects are mainly science + English. If you ever decide to drop out of medicine and STEM like I did, English will be your best friend.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.