Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck choosing between St.Andrews and Bath for the Mchem program. Entry requirements and the course modules isn't an issue as they're pretty similar.

I'm more focused on the social aspects and the actual location of the two places. I'd consider my self as an introvert but being from Manchester, I prefer the city life because of the vast choices of things I can do. So far I've been to York which I really liked and just been to Warwick university. Although Warwick isn't in Coventry technically, I did find that Coventry is pretty dead and apparently Leamington spa would compensate for this?

Can any students in St Andrews and Bath tell me about their experiences in those locations? Would be a really great help and don't want to regret choosing the wrong location.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    Just FYI about Warwick, Leamington is a very nice place apart from the nightlife which is crap in Leamington and Coventry.
    What is the alternative then?

ReputationRep:
    I'm from a city near Manchester and currently in my 4th year at St Andrews... I loved it in my first two years although the nightlife is quite repetitive due to the lack of options but then third year rolled around and I began to hate it! I was just SO BORED of everything here and felt trapped and felt quite isolated as my friends didn't seem to feel the same way so I had no one to relate to. Now in my fourth year I have come to terms with the fact that it is a boring place and no longer even attempt to go out and I am instead putting all my effort into getting a first and enjoying the peacefulness of the beach and looking forward to going to a city for my masters!! In fact, I have a second year friend who is already bored of the town so god help her by fourth year...

What I would say is that societies and sports clubs are the main source of social life so if you want to join several then you may enjoy it. Also if you are quite rich you may enjoy it more than I have as there are lots of expensive events (£30-£100 for a ticket) that you will be able to afford to go to all the time to make the nightlife a bit more interesting, unlike me. If you want typical clubs like in Manchester you will have to go to Dundee (although don't expect anything amazing), however there are a lot of people who would never venture that far (30 minute bus). If you like the kind of place where everyone knows everyone and you can't pop to the shop without recognising people then you may like it. I am not the type of person who knows a million people and gossips about "this one girl who flirted with that guy from that party when the girl from Sallie's fancied him and Henry was jealous" or "omg did you hear that the girl from econ is having her 21st at a castle and didn't invite that girl from management"... this is very much the culture in St Andrews. It has made me feel rather alienated because I don't give a **** about "popular" people I don't even know. It often feels very much like high school... except less like my high school and more like a posh boarding school where what you wear and who you know determines your value. Even my very normal and down-to-earth friends became sucked into this culture by third year. They act differently, dress differently, and worship people for their "coolness". It's really quite sad.

Basically, I wouldn't recommend it for most normal down-to-earth people. Yes there are plenty of people who enjoy it but I think you are guaranteed to get the social life you want in a big, diverse city with lots of different things to do unlike in St Andrews where the social scene is very niche and you risk being one of the people like me who hate it. Try not to be swayed by the traditions like most people do - people never wear their gowns and Raisin is just two days of your whole degree. Also bear in mind the extra year in Scotland and therefore the EXTRA YEAR OF DEBT.

I hope you end up choosing the uni that is right for you! Even though I don't like St Andrews anymore, I did once and you could too so don't take my opinion too seriously! I would recommend choosing a uni based on the course itself, graduate prospects, industry links etc. as you're really here to get an education and a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MinnieD)
    I'm from a city near Manchester and currently in my 4th year at St Andrews... I loved it in my first two years although the nightlife is quite repetitive due to the lack of options but then third year rolled around and I began to hate it! I was just SO BORED of everything here and felt trapped and felt quite isolated as my friends didn't seem to feel the same way so I had no one to relate to. Now in my fourth year I have come to terms with the fact that it is a boring place and no longer even attempt to go out and I am instead putting all my effort into getting a first and enjoying the peacefulness of the beach and looking forward to going to a city for my masters!! In fact, I have a second year friend who is already bored of the town so god help her by fourth year...

What I would say is that societies and sports clubs are the main source of social life so if you want to join several then you may enjoy it. Also if you are quite rich you may enjoy it more than I have as there are lots of expensive events (£30-£100 for a ticket) that you will be able to afford to go to all the time to make the nightlife a bit more interesting, unlike me. If you want typical clubs like in Manchester you will have to go to Dundee (although don't expect anything amazing), however there are a lot of people who would never venture that far (30 minute bus). If you like the kind of place where everyone knows everyone and you can't pop to the shop without recognising people then you may like it. I am not the type of person who knows a million people and gossips about "this one girl who flirted with that guy from that party when the girl from Sallie's fancied him and Henry was jealous" or "omg did you hear that the girl from econ is having her 21st at a castle and didn't invite that girl from management"... this is very much the culture in St Andrews. It has made me feel rather alienated because I don't give a **** about "popular" people I don't even know. It often feels very much like high school... except less like my high school and more like a posh boarding school where what you wear and who you know determines your value. Even my very normal and down-to-earth friends became sucked into this culture by third year. They act differently, dress differently, and worship people for their "coolness". It's really quite sad.

Basically, I wouldn't recommend it for most normal down-to-earth people. Yes there are plenty of people who enjoy it but I think you are guaranteed to get the social life you want in a big, diverse city with lots of different things to do unlike in St Andrews where the social scene is very niche and you risk being one of the people like me who hate it. Try not to be swayed by the traditions like most people do - people never wear their gowns and Raisin is just two days of your whole degree. Also bear in mind the extra year in Scotland and therefore the EXTRA YEAR OF DEBT.

I hope you end up choosing the uni that is right for you! Even though I don't like St Andrews anymore, I did once and you could too so don't take my opinion too seriously! I would recommend choosing a uni based on the course itself, graduate prospects, industry links etc. as you're really here to get an education and a job.
    I'm in 4th year and have the complete opposite opinion of this person. Many of us still love 4th year and by 4th year, at least in my circle of friends, no one gives two shits about who knows who. I guess it's only those who are quite insecure care. If you like dinner parties, games nights, chill nights at the pub, the occasional ball then St Andrews will suit you.

Our balls may be expensive (my friend purchased a Welly Ball ticket for £25 today), but free entry at the Union eyyy

ReputationRep:
    Except the union is just people stumbling around talking to people they vaguely know and when you're an introvert who likes a tight knit group of friends it's not that fun... also NOTHING like an actual nightclub. Also I believe that is the Welly Ball after party because to get a ticket for the actual Welly Ball you have to SUBMIT a list of 10 people for a table and be "selected"... basically another popularity contest... also, most people outside the St Andrews bubble don't want to have to wear black tie just for a decent night out...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Your thoughts might be welcomed Kevin De Bruyne

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, it's very niche so some people do love it. However, if you want a NORMAL university experience then St Andrews is NOT that.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen of Bath it's pretty much a typical city, which is surprising considering its size. Plenty of pubs, bars and clubs to go to. Shopping isn't bad. I don't know about activities exactly but given it's a city with two good sized universities I imagine the student unions and associated societies provide quite a lot.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-ved)
    I'm stuck choosing between St.Andrews and Bath for the Mchem program. Entry requirements and the course modules isn't an issue as they're pretty similar.

I'm more focused on the social aspects and the actual location of the two places. I'd consider my self as an introvert but being from Manchester, I prefer the city life because of the vast choices of things I can do. So far I've been to York which I really liked and just been to Warwick university. Although Warwick isn't in Coventry technically, I did find that Coventry is pretty dead and apparently Leamington spa would compensate for this?

Can any students in St Andrews and Bath tell me about their experiences in those locations? Would be a really great help and don't want to regret choosing the wrong location.
    There's enough to do in town, if not then there's probably something on campus (nights out) and with the students, there's always something going on as long as you know the right people. Be prepared to meet some really sporty people and /or natural born leaders in some societies :lol:

The students in general are nice, in my time here I've only met one person who most people thought was a complete pillock
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If you're a social person, want to go to St Andrews, and want to rely on Dundee for good clubs... don't. Dundee is **** club wise, but great bar wise (which so is St Andrews). Bath is lovely though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.