Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!!
    I am thinking of applying to Leiden Univ-International Relations and Organisations but I have a few questions:
    1. Is not speaking dutch a problem?
    2. Did you manage to find a job while studying?
    3. Have you managed to make friends? I heard that all dutch students are crazy about drugs and alcohol which isn’t that greay for me😂
    4. Do you think you’ll be able to find a job once you finish uni? Are there a lot of career prospects? I’m worried I’ll be jobless after I finish studying which would really suck
    Thank you so much!!!
    Also, if there is any student willing to spare me a few minutes I would be eternally grateful!!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm not a student at Leiden uni so I can't help you with everything, however here's a few things
    1 - I don't think not speaking dutch is a problem! Most people in the netherlands speak english very well, especially university students
    3 - Honestly it's just a stereotype that dutch students love drugs/partying. Like of course there is some drinking culture, but I don't think it's worse than in UK universities

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much!!!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    1) From talking to Dutch people and expats in the Netherlands, it's seen as ok to not speak Dutch before you come but you should be reasonably fluent within 1 year. (given how similar Dutch is to English, this is a bit easier than you may think).
    2) I don't know much about this one but from what I remember you should be ok as long as you go for tourist facing jobs, for everything else you will be hugely disadvantaged by the lack of Dutch, until you reach a good level of proficiency in Dutch obviously.
    4) The Dutch universities are quite well respected, I couldn't see you having any more problems than a graduate from a UK university, if anything you would have a good advantage, being so close to The Hague.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2017
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.